Author Topic: What Star Trek has contributed to the real world  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
Re: What Star Trek has contributed to the real world
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 01:40:19 AM »
The first  weaponry "laser emitter"

Was that inspired by Star Trek too? Did'n know that.

and the touchscreen PC, do i need a reference for that one

Yes... Does such a thing work? (LOL)
Lol it does, my friend who lives just down the street from me has 22' MSI touch screen  ;) THE COOLEST thing I've ever seen got to admit... when I saw it first, the best I could describe it in two words was I think 'absofuc.inglutely awefuc.ingsome'  :funny although it's kinda hard to get used to it at first...

Oh and I saw documentary on BBC Knowledge about cloak :D the field tested such thing on a guy dressed in white jacket/jumpsuit, behind him there was a camera recording environment and projector in front of him projecting everything that's behind him on his clothes, thus he appeard almost invisible but that was hardly a cloak to me :P

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 02:18:27 AM »
may want to watch the vid I posted :P

I did. it's a step to right direction, but far from complete.
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 05:13:48 AM »
I saw a show on the science channel where that japanese futurist guy (who's name I can't remember) talked about new meta materials that can bend light around themselves, and laser beams that can apparently render atoms invisible by preventing the electrons from jumping energy levels and emitting photons.

Offline Vladko1

• Cookies: 72
  • The trekkie of steel
    • Modders of Steel Shipyards Homepage!
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 02:42:51 AM »
I saw a show on the science channel where that japanese futurist guy (who's name I can't remember) talked about new meta materials that can bend light around themselves, and laser beams that can apparently render atoms invisible by preventing the electrons from jumping energy levels and emitting photons.
That is what i call cloak. Its stupid with several cameras and monitors on the vehicle. Not mention cameras and screens on a starship :funny

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 03:07:52 AM »
Nope Vlado no sreens but projectors ;) I highly doubt anyone would bother to put 100 flats into his tank and hoped for being invisible, tho projectors are no better :D
Wow now we need Q to build new Aston Martin 'Vanish' and fit it with that tech :P