Author Topic: Andoria  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
Andoria
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:01:18 PM »
I've been playing around with this for about an hour, there is still a lot to do but I thought you all might appreciate a look. Keep in mind that this is still VERY PRELIMINARY work here, and if anyone has some info on the Andorian system I welcome it (I've found very little on it).

Offline JamesTiberiusKirk

• Johnny Walker... one of my best friends! Cheers!
  • Cookies: 33
  • Cheers!
    • My Myspace Page ->
Re: Andoria
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:10:10 PM »
GREAT! i have some ideas. medium sized blue nebulas as background  :)

"And this... is... to go... even further beyond!"

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 05:26:15 PM »
Oh goody a new system, I think only good references is the ENT episode
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »
Okay a bit more progress on this. I took JTK's advice and added a nebula, I'm using Captain Elgy's "Blue Cluster" background included in the CE background pack as a placeholder at the moment. I also added the second moon seen orbiting the gas giant in ENT: The Aenar.  I also refined the gas giant's texture.

According to Memory Alpha, the writers of the before mentioned Enterprise episode made Andoria a moon to solve the Andor/Andoria issue (DS9 called it Andor, ENT called it Andoria, which apparently caused some confusion I guess). I've decided to honor that idea, the gas giant is named Andor in game. The second moon seen never had an official name, but when I was looking at the background info for Andoria at Memory Alpha, it mentioned a background drawing in DS9's "Far Beyond the Star's" called "Honey Moon on Andoras."  With that in mind I decided to use that as the name for the second moon.

Here's an updated pic.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
if your REALLY desperate, I'll dig up my old "Worlds of the Federation" trek book (which contains information from up to about the middle of Next G) as well.  this also contains bits from TOS cannon, and TAS semi-canon as well.

really, you guys shouldn't just consider Screen Canon as the ONLY canon :P
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 08:21:15 PM »
if your REALLY desperate, I'll dig up my old "Worlds of the Federation" trek book (which contains information from up to about the middle of Next G) as well.  this also contains bits from TOS cannon, and TAS semi-canon as well.

really, you guys shouldn't just consider Screen Canon as the ONLY canon :P
That'd be helpful. Thanks KCS. I don't consider whats been seen on screen as necessarily the ONLY canon, but I do believe it gets first priority before any artistic licensing  :P . Right now the only thing established about Andoria in canon is the gas giant and two moons, all of which I have, so now I can move onto semi-canon and artistic licensing  :D .

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 08:22:15 PM »
The Andoria System in Star Trek Online is fairly accurate compared to the ENT episode. I'll try to grab a few shots next time i'm logged into the game (unless someone else does it first).
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 04:40:51 PM »
Okay a bit more playing around with this. I've added an asteroid field a good ways away from Andoria, though I may make the rocks a little bigger, they look pretty small in that shot. I'm also going to show off the sun and the immense distance between the planet and star. If I understand my science correctly for Andoria to be an icy world but still be warm enough to allow for the evolution of life, then the sun has to be pretty hot. Astronomers say that the brightest stars are often the hottest, so tell me if that's bright enough... :D

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 05:52:07 PM »
it is probably bright enough.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:48:17 PM »
Well this project has been on the back burner for about a month now, but I've been playing around off and on with it and I think it's time to show what it has evolved into. Special thanks goes to Jestr for letting me bring his awesome planet textures to Bridge Commander.

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 09:51:21 PM »
Looks awesome!

Cookie.

Offline GMunoz

• Cookies: 139
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 01:36:26 PM »
have another cookie, love it.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 01:36:51 AM »
Okay a bit more playing around with this. I've added an asteroid field a good ways away from Andoria, though I may make the rocks a little bigger, they look pretty small in that shot. I'm also going to show off the sun and the immense distance between the planet and star. If I understand my science correctly for Andoria to be an icy world but still be warm enough to allow for the evolution of life, then the sun has to be pretty hot. Astronomers say that the brightest stars are often the hottest, so tell me if that's bright enough... :D

according to Star Trek Star charts, Andoria is a moon in orbit of the eighth planet in orbit of of Procyon, which is a fairly hot, bright main sequence star about 40% larger than Sol, with a white dwarf companion, so you should be about right in that assumption, it would be really cool if you also included Procyon B too, but since it is a white dwarf, that might be rather difficult.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 01:58:22 PM »
it would be really cool if you also included Procyon B too, but since it is a white dwarf, that might be rather difficult.
When I get back to Andoria I'll experiment with it. It could go either way pulling off a white dwarf, since they're no bigger than Earth and Andoria is so far from its star (ingame).

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 08:24:05 PM »
Ferenginar is famed for it's rains, I'd say the cloud cover should be a lot higher.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!