Author Topic: attn Modders: Mod Theft - Nightstalkers Universe mod for Freelancer  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
Re: attn Modders: Mod Theft - Nightstalkers Universe mod for Freelancer
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 05:24:37 PM »
Well if his profile here and at Excalibur is correct he hasn't been online here since January and at Excalibur since February, if someone has an email for him could they get in touch with him and find out if he has given permission for his Century to be converted to Freelancer and what he would like done if it hasn't?

Offline bankruptstudios

• Cookies: 60
  • Xander = Host, Co-Host, Producer and Editor
    • Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 08:30:46 PM »
I have his email, i can send a massage, but what should i say?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 09:13:07 PM »
Just let him know that there has been an investigation into mod theft going on here, and that his Century class has been used in a mod for Freelancer. Find out weather or not he gave permission (just in case) and direct him to this thread so he can check out everything going on if he wishes.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 11:54:34 PM »
If he doesn't reply it might be due to the fact he's a teacher...we all know how rowdy kids can be :P

But anyways I hope this person has had GENUINE permission...it upsets me when people just take mods for granted like this :(
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2010, 04:31:44 AM »
We all know how rowdy TEACHERS can be. :P

Either way I'm amazed SOMEONE was able to get in contact with Nightstalker, who seemed to ignore my attempts at communication.

@Joshmaul

If he doesn't remove them on his own, moderators of filehosting sites can be contacted to remove the download entirely. Personally, this seems like the easiest solution.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2010, 04:38:38 AM »
Nero was kind enough to check through the mod for us.

Unfortunatly he spotted my Kelvin-A refit

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Baz1701_USS_Kelvin_Refit;99559

And I can confirm I have only given permission for this or any of my ship for use with legacy and armarda 2 (with the exception of vger which was ported to the space sim Celestia).

I have never even heard of this game before this thread. The thing that hurts is I have never turned anyone down who has had the decency to ask to use my work.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2010, 08:24:32 AM »
You may also want to check with Mark, Viper and Sean. I doubt that Pathfinder Bridge has any permissions..

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2010, 08:45:53 AM »
are there forums for this?  if so, a bunch of us should register and speak outward about this there...
(edit - ive renamed the thread for clarity)

Offline bankruptstudios

• Cookies: 60
  • Xander = Host, Co-Host, Producer and Editor
    • Holo Suite Magazine
Re: Mod Theft
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2010, 08:54:26 AM »
OK, i send off a mail to DJ with all the information and links. Hopefully he'll have the time to reply him self, but i said that if he does not at the moment, jest reply to my mail with a yes or a no. I sujest that any other owners of these models be contacted at once to find out if they had be contacted and given promission. I also think that no further contact should me made to this guy untill we have a full list of mod from BC and if the owners gave promission to use it or not. Once this is done, then maby one of our Moderators should handle this as they can speak on your behalf and they have a title, witch may make them seem more official. I would vote for Jimmy because he is smart, funny, and he scares me........

Offline Villain

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2010, 11:20:27 AM »
Titles mean nothing, and to be honest it should be handled by the people who are actually affected. But I do sort of agree that maybe things should be stopped for now until more are notified.

---
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2010, 12:51:05 PM »
Prime is correct...  the modders should be the ones that get together (or have one speak for all of them) and speak outrage of it... 

Offline Morgan

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2010, 12:52:26 PM »
Titles mean nothing, and to be honest it should be handled by the people who are actually affected. But I do sort of agree that maybe things should be stopped for now until more are notified.

That's the modders' prerogative. I haven't communicated with him since the initial PM, and didn't intend to until some resolution was found. If he decides to communicate with me any further for some reason I'll make sure to post the message here to keep everything in the open.

are there forums for this?  if so, a bunch of us should register and speak outward about this there...

Jimmy you read my mind about speaking at their community.  :evil That could be the only option if this guy decides to be a jackass about this; as he runs the forums where the mod is available. Unfortunately there isn't much of a community over there to expose this to. Here's a link to their forums. The mod is also available from there if any more modders wish to look through it and check for their work. I encourage all modders to do so.

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Shadow_Work_Studios

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2010, 12:32:48 AM »
If he doesn't remove them on his own, moderators of filehosting sites can be contacted to remove the download entirely. Personally, this seems like the easiest solution.

Indeed; it seems simple enough to me, given that we have several fairly respected modders up in arms about this whole brouhaha. If I were a modder (well, enough of one to do better than a couple retextures for my amusement in both BC and in Klingon Academy eons ago), I'd go for that route myself, but I tend towards the vindictive in situations like this, so maybe my logic is a little skewed.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2010, 04:24:26 AM »
the problem I foresee with posting stuff on the forum over there is he is an moderator and can just simply delete them!

I have come to accept this kind of thing will happen from time to time and there is not much that can be done if the person used your stuff with out permission he sure are hell does not care when you email him asking him to stop it.

We need a lawyer like Denny Crane to get involved if you want him to stop. The read me files are clear enough and our only support against such theft.

I for one will be making my far more clearer in the future.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2010, 02:47:15 PM »
I have come to accept this kind of thing will happen from time to time and there is not much that can be done if the person used your stuff with out permission he sure are hell does not care when you email him asking him to stop it.
I have to agree with Baz on this one. It is a risk we all take by posting stuff onto the internet. As long as no one is making a profit off of our mods I'm fine.
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline Villain

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2010, 05:26:13 AM »
Well, I have some good news, kids.

Moddb will no longer support Nightstalkers "contributions" anymore, and I thank the site moderators for this (even if it IS their job. :P)

---