Author Topic: Intrepid class tech specs  (Read 3528 times)

Offline Anew9

• Cookies: 1
Intrepid class tech specs
« on: March 25, 2010, 11:56:28 PM »
Anybody have a good source to Voyagers technical specs? Im still argueing whether to keep my ship with Multivectorial shields from ATP or not. Any thoughts? What ships in starfleet (if any) have the M. shields from ATP?

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
Re: Intrepid class tech specs
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 02:34:54 AM »
well I think that would only be Sovereign, for good source of tech info check Daystrom Institute Technical Library http://www.ditl.org/ pretty good stuff they have there ;)

Offline teleguy

• Cookies: 53
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »
Judging from the shield display in Nemesis the Sovereign doesn't have multivectral shields.
It might have regenerative shields.

Offline Anew9

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »
well I think that would only be Sovereign, for good source of tech info check Daystrom Institute Technical Library http://www.ditl.org/ pretty good stuff they have there ;)

Kudos, I have been using memory alpha and they dont mention the type of shields ships have.

And with regards to the Sovvie, they dont have MV shields.

Offline Anew9

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 02:33:31 PM »
According to daystrom the Intrepid has standard shields and type 8 phasers... looks like I have to rebalance the ship again.

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 05:00:43 PM »
Be careful when using DITL. I can NOT stress this point enough.
The guy making the site makes up a lot of info.
White text is his own speculations. Green is background source.
Yellow is what was seen on screen. But even then be careful, this guy isn't too smart and he has misunderstood A LOT that he has written in yellow text.

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 07:23:45 PM »
The promethius us the only ship I know of with MVS.

Offline teleguy

• Cookies: 53
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 08:23:02 PM »
^^^The Prometheus has regenerative shields and multi-vector assault mode, no multivectral shields mentioned.

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 08:39:29 PM »
Multi-vectral shields are an invention of ATP, they're not canon.

Now I believe he was asking for info on the Intrepid - Unfortunately, unlike TNG & DS9, Voyager didn't go into to much technical detail about the ship itself during the show. And even then what little information was given B&B managed to screw it up in later years, and adding on the fact that Voyager picked up alien technology pretty early on, that makes the show not very helpful, so unfortunately you're kinda stuck on speculation. Most people go with setting up their Intrepid as a moderately armed cruiser with about 120 photon torpedoes. I personally give mine 60 (Voyager was said to 38 and 2 tri-cobalt devices, but since it was only going on a two-week mission it could have been not fully stocked). I also remember Chakotay saying quantum torpedoes were compatible with the ships launchers, but I don't believe it was ever seen on screen.

DITL is a pretty useful guide, but like 1DeadlySAMURAI said, do take everything written there with a grain of salt, I'd check memory alpha first and THEN use DITL to fill in the blanks, but in the end it's your game, so go nuts!

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 09:11:55 PM »
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 09:57:15 PM »
ugh... are you all forgetting about this??

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/star-trek-voyager-technical-manual.php
Actually I didn't know it existed  :dontcare:

But now that I do I'll check it out.

Offline Anew9

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 10:40:20 PM »
ugh... are you all forgetting about this??

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/star-trek-voyager-technical-manual.php

Awesome! But they don't mention phaser type or shield emitter type, and I was wondering how this ship balances against a Galaxy class in terms of weapons and defense.

Offline Anew9

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 10:58:15 PM »
You know what the problem is with balancing in this game, there is no set canon to balance to. Like for example: I set the impulse speeds to around 30ish in the ship hardpoints which equates to about 14000 kph in game (this is nowhere near the 1/4 of c that is shown in the show) but I wanted to make the ships FAST.

Now, I also balanced the galaxy class in the sense that it takes turns VERY SLOWLY as seen in DS9 and TNG, I made it more like a really really big brute with awesome hull armor and shields, but the individual systems are very vulnerable. The AI in the game will do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I was aiming to do, instead of going to low impulse it hits 1/2 impulse and tries to make a turn to have her foward torpedoes bear on me. As an Intrepid, I easily avoid her torpedo arcs and keep pecking away at her shields. But this is not a very good tactic because Galaxy's phasers are almost as strong as photons and they chew through my shields in no time.

The problem with balancing that hinders gameplay is when you balance the Borg. I have a Tact. Cube that I wanted to assault as an Intrepid as shown in Unimatrix zero, but when I put the Cubes velocity at 30 with very bad maneuverability all it did was speed away and I had to chase it! So I tanked the cubes max speed to a crawl so I could fly around it while I was fighting (I still didnt last long but you get the picture).

The AI just doesnt really keep up anymore.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 04:29:36 AM »
Hardpoint balancing can be a bit of a pain in the ass in this game unfortunately, especially if you're just starting out. I understand you're frustration about the AI, I personally have been looking into how to modify it properly but AI is an entirely new realm for me. Unfortunately the games AI is kind of what we're stuck with for now, so you kind of have to work with it.  :(

If you wouldn't mind some advice on Borg balancing: save it for last. Practice on balancing your Feds, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, and Dominion first before trying to even touch Borg hardpoints. I personally hate playing with Borg hardpoints, there's usually so much stuff in there and it takes me twice as long to get it to where I want it as it does a Federation or Klingon hardpoint.

Oh and don't set your impulse speeds at 30, actually in most cases you shouldn't go above 9. Also having speeds that high accelerates the "shaking-ship syndrome" that has annoyed BC-players since the game first came out, also those kinds of speeds make fighting in-game difficult, almost to the point of ridiculous (I got bored and tried it one day, it was amusing for about 5mins until I got annoyed and went back to the standard speeds).

If you really want to balance your ships well, I recommend you study the works of Elminister, Durandal, and Laurelin (she did the hardpoints for P81's ships back in the day). Those three are generally regarded as BC's best hardpointers, and they're styles (and/or a blend of all three) has become the standard that continues to this day. Seeing how they did their hardpoints will help you find a balance that works for you in your installs, it did for me  :D

Offline Anew9

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 08:24:19 PM »
Hardpoint balancing can be a bit of a pain in the ass in this game unfortunately, especially if you're just starting out. I understand you're frustration about the AI, I personally have been looking into how to modify it properly but AI is an entirely new realm for me. Unfortunately the games AI is kind of what we're stuck with for now, so you kind of have to work with it.  :(

If you wouldn't mind some advice on Borg balancing: save it for last. Practice on balancing your Feds, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, and Dominion first before trying to even touch Borg hardpoints. I personally hate playing with Borg hardpoints, there's usually so much stuff in there and it takes me twice as long to get it to where I want it as it does a Federation or Klingon hardpoint.

Oh and don't set your impulse speeds at 30, actually in most cases you shouldn't go above 9. Also having speeds that high accelerates the "shaking-ship syndrome" that has annoyed BC-players since the game first came out, also those kinds of speeds make fighting in-game difficult, almost to the point of ridiculous (I got bored and tried it one day, it was amusing for about 5mins until I got annoyed and went back to the standard speeds).

If you really want to balance your ships well, I recommend you study the works of Elminister, Durandal, and Laurelin (she did the hardpoints for P81's ships back in the day). Those three are generally regarded as BC's best hardpointers, and they're styles (and/or a blend of all three) has become the standard that continues to this day. Seeing how they did their hardpoints will help you find a balance that works for you in your installs, it did for me  :D

Thanks for the tip!

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 09:07:10 AM »
Yeah balancing is a pain. lol. Its also an art!

The approach that worked fro me is to tweak one thing at a time,see how it affects the ship and then tweak some more.
Make no mistake it takes a long time to do a good hardpoint, but its satisfying one you get it right!

Also try and balance like againts like. If you havea ship in your install of a simialr type that behaves the way you want, take a look at how its configured and it should point you in the right driection.

Offline Anew9

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 09:12:50 PM »
Well FYI the phaser type on Daystrom for the Intrepid is wrong (they are not type VIII but are Type X).

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 09:15:04 PM »
and where did you get that info...

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »
speculation, and alot of brains tell you that if a Galaxy had X phasers, and the sovereign had XII the the intrepid would have type X or XI phasers (also the larger the array, the stronger)
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 09:36:46 PM »
I'm one of those who don't really trust that theory.

to me it doesn't matter the size of the array.