Author Topic: Intrepid class tech specs  (Read 3529 times)

Offline Anew9

• Cookies: 1
Re: Intrepid class tech specs
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 09:54:19 PM »
and where did you get that info...

The Intrepid-class model only has 13 discernible phaser arrays with the large array strips being the same type-10 phaser arrays used by Galaxy-class starships, according to Rick Sternbach.[2] Other phaser emitter locations were seen in "Think Tank", "Unimatrix Zero", "Prophecy", "Resolutions", and "Dragon's Teeth".

Source: Memory Alpha

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 03:51:42 AM »
speculation, and alot of brains tell you that if a Galaxy had X phasers, and the sovereign had XII the the intrepid would have type X or XI phasers (also the larger the array, the stronger)
I don't think so either but I liked the idea of forward 'main' array stronger and the rest slightly weaker (SFC layout like)

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 02:17:35 PM »
Other phaser emitter locations were seen in "Think Tank", "Unimatrix Zero", "Prophecy", "Resolutions", and "Dragon's Teeth".

I write those off as visual effects errors, mainly because those phaser beams were coming from completely random points on the hull (not a visible phaser emitter) and were only seen once or twice at most. It all goes back to remembering the Voyager staff's lack of attention to detail and lax attitude toward continuity after season 5.

alot of brains tell you that if a Galaxy had X phasers, and the sovereign had XII the the intrepid would have type X or XI phasers (also the larger the array, the stronger)
Just because the Intrepid is newer than the Galaxy doesn't mean its stronger. I doubt its as weak as DITL makes it out to be, but I don't think it could take on a Galaxy. I usually speculate that the Intrepid has type IX phasers about maybe 70% as powerful as a Galaxy-class, but since all we have is speculation its anybody's call.

Offline Anew9

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 05:42:04 PM »
Other phaser emitter locations were seen in "Think Tank", "Unimatrix Zero", "Prophecy", "Resolutions", and "Dragon's Teeth".

I write those off as visual effects errors, mainly because those phaser beams were coming from completely random points on the hull (not a visible phaser emitter) and were only seen once or twice at most. It all goes back to remembering the Voyager staff's lack of attention to detail and lax attitude toward continuity after season 5.

alot of brains tell you that if a Galaxy had X phasers, and the sovereign had XII the the intrepid would have type X or XI phasers (also the larger the array, the stronger)
Just because the Intrepid is newer than the Galaxy doesn't mean its stronger. I doubt its as weak as DITL makes it out to be, but I don't think it could take on a Galaxy. I usually speculate that the Intrepid has type IX phasers about maybe 70% as powerful as a Galaxy-class, but since all we have is speculation its anybody's call.

Ya but the only real difference between large ships like a Galaxy vs small ships like an Intrepid are defenses and armor. I balanced my Intrepid to have equal strength phasers and torpedo type to the Galaxy but the Intrepid has MUCH weaker shields, hull strength and much fewer torpedoes. If I were to attack an Intrepid with my Galaxy and fired a full spread of torpedoes at her front shield I would destroy her. My first 6 volley would take the shields down then the next 4 would take out her warp core (my shield generator is on the deflector so when it chews thru the deflector it hits the warp core -> boom).

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 08:26:28 AM »
Um, no not exactly. In most cases the larger ships have far more power to play with.
This gives them far more durability in everything from phaser strength to shields etc.

I would speculate as a newer ship the Intrepid has more power to play with as it has a newer warp core, but the Galaxy was continually refitted and I find it unlikely that they would have left it with anything but the newest core (for its class).

This means that the Galaxy can hang in a fight much longer than an Intrepid.

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 03:42:15 PM »
I've read a bunch of times over the years that the Interpid has type VIII phasers. It makes sense to me cause this ship was designed and built before the dominion war and wasn't aimed for Borg defense (that was what the Defiant was designed for). It was suppose to be a exploration ship with advance sensor pallets, high speed computer, and new warp drive. It wasn't a diplomatic ship at all, Janeway said so a few times, they were meant to explore, and the diplomatic first contact ships would come later. I'm sure they were retro fitted with Type X phasers during the war though

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 03:50:04 PM »
Um, Voyager was a long range tactical vessel, not an explorer.
It was designed for long range military assignments.

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2010, 03:58:56 PM »
also it had 40 photons in it's compliment, but 43 were used in the series (not counting YOH, or other alternate time lines)
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline Psyco Diver

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010, 05:50:23 PM »

I disagree, Starfleet was still very peaceful at this time. None of thier ships at this time, minus the Defiant, was geared toward military, it was always to explore, that was Genes vision for the future, the military side was needed but the peaceful exploration always came first.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »
also it had 40 photons in it's compliment, but 43 were used in the series (not counting YOH, or other alternate time lines)
Voyager had 40 torpedoes yes, but considering that a counselor wasn't assigned to the ship because her first mission was only suppossed to last a couple weeks, its possible that Voyager wasn't fully stocked on photons for the very same reason. Also there's no reason to assume that they didn't re-construct more or buy more from other races or something.

Quote from: El
True, for the most part, but the ship was obviously just as capable of exploratory missions as well, considering that even without all that extra Borg crap Voyager still has the most advanced sensor packages at the time, and Janeway came from a scientific background, not tactical. That tells me they intended Intrepid's to do pretty much everything except diplomatic operations.

I've read a bunch of times over the years that the Interpid has type VIII phasers.
That's all speculation, I personally believe the Intrepid has type IX, but since it was never specified on screen your guess is as good as mine.

Offline Anew9

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 10:03:19 PM »
I've read a bunch of times over the years that the Interpid has type VIII phasers. It makes sense to me cause this ship was designed and built before the dominion war and wasn't aimed for Borg defense (that was what the Defiant was designed for). It was suppose to be a exploration ship with advance sensor pallets, high speed computer, and new warp drive. It wasn't a diplomatic ship at all, Janeway said so a few times, they were meant to explore, and the diplomatic first contact ships would come later. I'm sure they were retro fitted with Type X phasers during the war though

Rick Sternbach has stated on record they are Type X phasers. The exact same type as the Galaxy class. Intrepid class starships were not as strong as a Galaxy due to her shields and hull armor, but she had equal phaser power, much higher maneuverablility, fastest top speed and Type VI Photon torpedoes. BUT, the main difference between torpedo power for a Galaxy and Intrepid was COMPLEMENT, Intrepids had about 40 while Galaxy had 200...

I don't understand why people keep assuming Voyager was a push-over, it was a military ship designed for long term sorties. She's not a short range science vessel like the Nova, she was a ship with teeth (somewhat). There were NO families on the ship so therefore it was intended to be portrayed as a more military ship than a Galaxy. The reason why Intrepids were not viewed as "combat" vessels in the Dominion war was the same reason that Sovereign class ships didn't fight in ANY skirmish, they were very advanced ships that were more valuable to preserve than use as cannon fodder.

Like seriously, you think that a retrofitted Miranda class could outperform an Intrepid class in a skirmish? Also if this ship was such a push-over, why did they assign one to fight the Scimitar in Nemesis? 

Offline Psyco Diver

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 02:40:44 AM »
I don't understand why people keep assuming Voyager was a push-over, it was a military ship designed for long term sorties. She's not a short range science vessel like the Nova, she was a ship with teeth (somewhat). There were NO families on the ship so therefore it was intended to be portrayed as a more military ship than a Galaxy. The reason why Intrepids were not viewed as "combat" vessels in the Dominion war was the same reason that Sovereign class ships didn't fight in ANY skirmish, they were very advanced ships that were more valuable to preserve than use as cannon fodder.

Like seriously, you think that a retrofitted Miranda class could outperform an Intrepid class in a skirmish? Also if this ship was such a push-over, why did they assign one to fight the Scimitar in Nemesis? 

I don't see how it is a push over either, for combat it is a very capable ship, but I still see it as a long range science ship. I considered since it was a small ship, they didn't have room for families, like most of the fleet star fleet has (minus the capital ships of course) When they have ships like the SteamRunner, Sabre, and Akira, why use it for front line combat, those ships are Much more battle capable ships, but not nearly as useful as a science ship like the Intrepid class is. And about the Scimitar, they also sent the USS Nova, a nova class, and the USS Hood, a Excellsior class. At least they sent a Galaxy class to back them up though

Offline Morgan

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 03:37:14 AM »
Quote from:  Psycho Driver
The reason why Intrepids were not viewed as "combat" vessels in the Dominion war was the same reason that Sovereign class ships didn't fight in ANY skirmish, they were very advanced ships that were more valuable to preserve than use as cannon fodder.
I'm sorry but that sounds completely ridiculous. The Dominion War was supposed to be Star Trek's World War II, and if it were anywhere near as bloody as DS9 portrayed it, then Starfleet wouldn't hold back ships from fighting just because of a fancy computer core.

The real-world reason for the Sovereign not being shown on TV was because Rick Berman didn't want to use the design outside of the TNG films. I can't remember exactly why the Intrepid wasn't seen outside of Voyager (except for the one DS9 episode), but I think it had something to do with Berman wanting to save it for Voyager too.

An universe explanation: Maybe Voyager's sister ships were assigned elsewhere. The Dominion War didn't COMPLETELY stop the Federation's long-range exploratory and diplomatic functions. Another possibility is that they WERE in the war, but just not seen on-screen (DS9 always said there were more ships then were visible on-screen).

The Enterprise was regulated to more diplomatic operations, since the Federation diplomatic core was trying to end the war (this comes right from Insurrection). If there were other Sovereign-class ships they were probably either defending core worlds (Earth/Vulcan/Andoria) or on deep-space missions.

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 08:34:22 AM »
What about the Bellerophon, it transported Fed ambassadors to Romulas
That was a diplomatic mission
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 08:50:03 AM »
What about the Bellerophon, it transported Fed ambassadors to Romulas
That was a diplomatic mission

Any Fed ship would have done well then I think.... could have been closest ship for the job. Anyway...

The real-world reason for the Sovereign not being shown on TV was because Rick Berman didn't want to use the design outside of the TNG films. I can't remember exactly why the Intrepid wasn't seen outside of Voyager (except for the one DS9 episode), but I think it had something to do with Berman wanting to save it for Voyager too.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Anew9

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »
Quote from:  Psycho Driver
The reason why Intrepids were not viewed as "combat" vessels in the Dominion war was the same reason that Sovereign class ships didn't fight in ANY skirmish, they were very advanced ships that were more valuable to preserve than use as cannon fodder.
I'm sorry but that sounds completely ridiculous. The Dominion War was supposed to be Star Trek's World War II, and if it were anywhere near as bloody as DS9 portrayed it, then Starfleet wouldn't hold back ships from fighting just because of a fancy computer core.

An universe explanation: Maybe Voyager's sister ships were assigned elsewhere. The Dominion War didn't COMPLETELY stop the Federation's long-range exploratory and diplomatic functions. Another possibility is that they WERE in the war, but just not seen on-screen (DS9 always said there were more ships then were visible on-screen).

The Enterprise was regulated to more diplomatic operations, since the Federation diplomatic core was trying to end the war (this comes right from Insurrection). If there were other Sovereign-class ships they were probably either defending core worlds (Earth/Vulcan/Andoria) or on deep-space missions.

So you believe that the Federation attack fighters, Miranda, Oberth, Constellation and Danube all out class the Intrepid in battle?

Well we should count how many Federation ships that did not participate in the war had in each class: Sovereign, USS Enterprise and USS Sovereign. Intrepid: USS Belerephon, USS Voyager (lost in the delta Quadrant at time of Dominon War), and USS Intrepid. Prometheus: USS Prometheus. 

1-2 of each class were present during the Dominion war. Did the number of vessels in each class factor into its participation in the war? I think so.

The Sovereign didn't fight in any dominion battle because... hmmm, well I don't really know why. Why on Earth would Starfleet not send the strongest class of Federation starship to fight in a war where every able bodied ship was needed (as you put it)? Yes I know that Berman wanted to keep that ship in the films, but they could have at least mentioned that the Enterprise or Sovereign was in battle X during the show.

So me personally, I would not measure battle ability in terms of participation in the Dominion war. The Intrepid's were not designed to take extreme punishement in combat as it is more an long term exploration vessel than warship, but it had more than enough firepower and shields to outclass the majority of vessels employed by the Federation during the conflict.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 05:06:44 PM »
I think the Sovereign classes were never on the frontlines because we only know of one Sovereign to be produced and still in active service which is the Enterprise. As it was mentioned in First Contact, the Enterprise was assigned to putting out "brush fires" in the Federation. As for the USS Sovereign, we have no idea if it was ever up to the standard the Enterprise was (it was a prototype and not the Federation flagship). The Enterprise-E took almost a whole year to be built (being launched in 2372), the Federation would've been to busy devoting resources to smaller, [cheaper] and more efficient vessels such as the Akira, Steamrunner, Norway and Sabre. The Federation put a lot of effort into the Sovie class, it would be a tad unfortunate if it got blown up. :P

As for the Intrepids involvement in the war, haven't a clue. Maybe their production was cut for the aforementioned vessels? Maybe they were assigned to continuing the basic principles of the Federation; exploration. The Intrepid is more in the dark than the Sovie's in respect to the war, we can only guess and hypothesise.

The Prometheus being in the war is more explainable. It was barely finished in 2374 and it did get stolen. :P
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Morgan

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 05:21:47 PM »
So you believe that the Federation attack fighters, Miranda, Oberth, Constellation and Danube all out class the Intrepid in battle?
Where did you get that from? I said nothing of the sort so please don't misconstrue my words. Whatever reason you believe for these imaginary ships not fighting in the imaginary war is cool too, since there is no canon explanation your guess is as good as mine.

Quote from: Dalek
The Prometheus being in the war is more explainable. It was barely finished in 2374 and it did get stolen.
And was still in the testing phase when it was hijacked. Class production probably started sometime a few months before the war ended.  :)

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 05:28:14 PM »
I need to think mroe about what I'm typing. I meant to say "The Prometheus not being in the war..." :hithead: :banghead:
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Anew9

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 07:03:30 PM »
Where did you get that from? I said nothing of the sort so please don't misconstrue my words. Whatever reason you believe for these imaginary ships not fighting in the imaginary war is cool too, since there is no canon explanation your guess is as good as mine.

These aren't imaginary, they were ships shown to fight in the Dominion war during DS9. I used these ships as examples to my point that the Intrepid is a pretty strong fighter, but it was never called upon to fight (not to my knowledge) during the war unlike the formentioned starships.

Im just trying to get a handle on vs. combat for balancing purposes. An Intrepid should be able to beat an Oberth, Miranda, Constellation and Danube in a 1 on 1 fight. And so far what I have learned a Sovvie, Galaxy, Nebula, Defiant, Prometheus, Akira and retrofitted Excelsior should beat the Intrepid.