Author Topic: Little question about Phasers  (Read 930 times)

Offline Anew9

• Cookies: 1
Little question about Phasers
« on: April 07, 2010, 10:47:54 PM »
What does Texture speed mean in the MPE? Does that determine how fast the phaser texture shoots?

Offline Anew9

Re: Little question about Phasers
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:49:18 PM »
Also what about taper radius etc. Im trying to modify my phaser appearances and firing speed.

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:27:42 PM »
Taper determines how wide your beam starts.

Offline DJ Curtis

• Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1410
  • I make ships.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 12:42:50 AM »
What does Texture speed mean in the MPE? Does that determine how fast the phaser texture shoots?
Yes.  however it will be affected by the length of the phaser texture.  Generally, a slower phaser speed with a more "rambunctious" texture will give a wild electric look, similar to that which comes out of the 8472 bioship.  I suggest you experiment a little bit to find something to your taste.

Offline Anew9

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 02:02:54 PM »
Is there any way to increase the phasers firing speed (like a torpedo) ?

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 03:29:52 PM »
Do you mean the rate of fire?  that's just a simple matter of adjusting the recharge speed.  The actual time to target speed is instantaneous. 

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 03:36:14 PM »
To achieve Nemesis like burst firing phasers I've set max charge and min, charge to 0.5 recharge to 2 and you have fast phasers ;)

that's the way I've done phasers on both Krakow and Sobieski classes

Offline Anew9

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 11:45:49 PM »
Aww, so you can't change the speed of the phaser eh... oh well.  For some reason it doesnt seem "instantaneous" to me.

Offline Maxloef

• STBC Aftermath Co Founder
  • Cookies: 61
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 05:44:44 AM »
Aww, so you can't change the speed of the phaser eh... oh well.  For some reason it doesnt seem "instantaneous" to me.

Phasers ARENT instantanious, in the show you can see them move to the target, fast ofcourse but they still move...

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 07:18:50 AM »
They are instantaneous in BC. Which makes all the difference. You can change the speed the phaser appears to hit the target, but you can still see the impact of the phaser hitting the shield first.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 08:23:46 AM »
They are instantaneous in BC. Which makes all the difference. You can change the speed the phaser appears to hit the target, but you can still see the impact of the phaser hitting the shield first.

Not exactly true....
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 08:45:45 AM »
Could've sworn thats how it worked in BC. Maybe I ned new glasses. :)
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Anew9

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 05:36:20 PM »
... so can I alter the speed at which it "appears" to hit the ship? How?

Offline Anew9

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 12:44:23 AM »
Another question, what does discharge rate modify in the phaser script?

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 07:33:46 AM »
The value states how much energy is consumed while firing (I think it's per second). So if have a maxCharge of 1, fully loaded Phasers and a discharge rate of 0.5 you can fire 2 seconds. (As far as I remember the recharge doesn't occur until you stoped firing)

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 11:12:30 AM »
I got this (edited) ages back from one of the posts either here, BCS or KM forum. Apologies can't remember where and so can't credit, but helped me so hope useful.  Think sets out basic principles:

PULSE WEAPONS
max charge: 4
min firing charge: 4
discharge rate: 1
recharge rate: 4/3 (4 charges in three seconds)
cooldown time: 0.25 (1/4 of second)

since the pulse starts recharging inmediately after the first charge is shot, then you should set the discharge rate to 1.3 or 1.4 to compensate. Think of it as a battery or water tank: the bigger the wire or pipe (firing rate), the faster the current or water gets drained (max charge), and the more the time you need to recharge it.
this is sometimes used to avoid complex operations like 4/3 which will give you a floating number.

better is using;
max charge: 12
recharge rate: 4
min firing charge: 12
cooldown time 0.25
firing rate: 3

*min charge to fire works perfectly with beam weapons but NOT pulse weapons, unless max charge is 1
discharge rate works perfectly with pulse weapons but NOT beam weapons. ever as far as i can see.

recharge rate is measured in seconds, so you recharge 4 "parts" each second what gives you 12 "parts" after 3 seconds, same for firing rate.

PHASERS
burst-fire phasers

MaxCharge and MinFiringCharge to like 0.5 or 0.6
Recharge Rate and Discharge Rate of 1 each
it just looks weird, to me, when there is a MaxCharge of more than 1.0...mostly throughout the Trek series, from what i can recall, most phaser fire was like at most 1 second long (except given a few instances)...
you will have always a burst effect as long as the discharge is higher than the recharge.
just avoid setting a MinFiringCharge higher than MaxCharge