Author Topic: Warbird (Nebula remodel) WIP  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
Re: Warbird (Nebula remodel) WIP
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2010, 01:56:19 PM »
Sorry dude, I usually report back on beta's relatively quickly, just haven't been in-game much over the last few days.

Anyways, the bridge plays pretty well in-game, no lag or performance issues. Aside from the bugs you listed in the readme the only thing I noticed was the viewscreen. The images on it sort of get a little screwy if you move the camera, I understand this happens with all bridges, but when it happens on this one it's a lot more noticeable. Also the loading screen I made for it is showing upside down and huge. I've attached screenshots.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2010, 02:20:52 PM »
Maybe just flip and resize the texture? :P
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Morgan

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »
Maybe just flip and resize the texture? :P
If you're looking for a quick fix yes.  :P

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2010, 04:59:56 PM »
The upside down loading screen kinda looks like a face. :D

You get a cookie for unintentional lols. :D
I've been meaning try this bridge out myself but I am finding less time each day to be on my computer, that it wouldn't be fair to keep you waiting for a beta report.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2010, 07:57:55 AM »
Thanks for feedback Nero  :)  On loading screen, hmm... I don't use loading screens myself (have customized starfields as ls for all bridges)  so hadn't considered that prob.  I'll look into it.  I assume the loading screens are textured to the viewscreens?    Can you let me know if  the flip/resize works? 

Re: the viewscreen distortion, yes you're right that happens to a greater/lesser extent with many bridges. I think here because I created a new screen that's curved rather than flat so guess why it distorts.  I'll see if can change and whether makes a difference.

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2010, 11:01:15 AM »
If the window is curved that should be fine, the viewscreen however needs to be completely flat for best performance iirc.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2010, 11:49:15 AM »
TBH: I find the viewscreen distortion, not to much of a problem, All bridges have some at one time or another, besides I do most of my combat from non-bridge view.   

Ive not had a chance to test this bridge [apologize to Loruk] but it is a stunning acheviement.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2010, 11:52:51 PM »
Mind if I use this for Picture of the day?

I like it, the screen is kinda funky, but my only two issues are maybe have the lights on in green alert, and darken with blinking lights for red alert. The other is more of a suggestion, if possible, can you smooth out the corners and edges or is it to late in the work for that?

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2010, 07:47:27 AM »
would be better with romulan crew IMO...

Offline Psyco Diver

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2010, 09:14:25 AM »
very true, any of them good enough for DL?

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2010, 10:15:29 AM »

No prob, as long as you can mention it's a beta WIP and not an official release (yet)  :)

I like it, the screen is kinda funky, but my only two issues are maybe have the lights on in green alert, and darken with blinking lights for red alert. The other is more of a suggestion, if possible, can you smooth out the corners and edges or is it to late in the work for that?

Haven't figured out scripting for alert changes yet, but when do will try and do that.  As for smoothing, any parts in particular?

very true, any of them good enough for DL?

I think this is the best Rom crew dl at present...
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Romulan_Crew;7725

Offline Psyco Diver

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2010, 03:26:52 PM »

No prob, as long as you can mention it's a beta WIP and not an official release (yet)  :)

Haven't figured out scripting for alert changes yet, but when do will try and do that.  As for smoothing, any parts in particular?

I think this is the best Rom crew dl at present...
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Romulan_Crew;7725

I'll make a better picture then when I dl that romulan crew

Cool can't wait, I was thinking the consoles  and the seats mainly, their very angular and square. Other wise I love the color and lighting on it, its the best rommy bridge I've found

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2010, 05:31:24 PM »
Not a Bad bridge at all, kind'a like it, I found no problems [other than the problems, of all bridges, and ancient graphics systems], one noticeable thing [not a problem] , when you press F! or F2 on other bridges you are given a forward view , looking at viewscreen, on this bridge it looks to the ceiling, like said not really a problem.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2010, 06:01:42 PM »
also be sure to credit the author of the bridge and a link to his thread for others to watch the WIP ;)

my only two issues are maybe have the lights on in green alert, and darken with blinking lights for red alert. The other is more of a suggestion, if possible, can you smooth out the corners and edges or is it to late in the work for that?
Haven't figured out scripting for alert changes yet, but when do will try and do that.
the nebula bridge automatically is built in as such... you wouldnt need to have to script such things in?
what is it youre not sure of?

also, out of curiosity, what are you using to make textures?  some things seem a little blurry (around the back consoles and back wall and such) and not very "sharp" looking?

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2010, 06:28:07 PM »
the nebula bridge automatically is built in as such... you wouldnt need to have to script such things in?
what is it youre not sure of?

also, out of curiosity, what are you using to make textures?  some things seem a little blurry (around the back consoles and back wall and such) and not very "sharp" looking?

I know there's a texture map change for red alert (just haven't had chance to play with it!).  I thought the bridge darkening was something to with gamma in nif, which I haven't recreated. Anyways, I'll play around with these and let people know.

Textures are made in CS3.  Can you specify specific textures, Jimmy?  Thanks.  It might be a res problem. I'm tending to keep maps around 256x256 except for lcars.  

Edit:  Noticed column strips are a bit 'soft'.  I designed so and gave glow to emulate strip light look.  Is that sort of thing?

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2010, 06:29:17 PM »
one noticeable thing [not a problem] , when you press F! or F2 on other bridges you are given a forward view , looking at viewscreen, on this bridge it looks to the ceiling, like said not really a problem.

didn't know about F1/F2.  Will try out  :)   and see if can fix.    Thanks for pics. Nice to see with TNG Rom crew.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2010, 06:41:56 PM »
As per your request Lurok I'm reporting back on the flip/resize. Screenshot attached.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2010, 06:57:45 PM »
I know there's a texture map change for red alert (just haven't had chance to play with it!).  I thought the bridge darkening was something to with gamma in nif, which I haven't recreated. Anyways, I'll play around with these and let people know.
im 99.99% sure it is the nif...

one noticeable thing [not a problem] , when you press F! or F2 on other bridges you are given a forward view , looking at viewscreen, on this bridge it looks to the ceiling, like said not really a problem.
didn't know about F1/F2.  Will try out  :)   and see if can fix.
i can help with that; thats just the camera zoom...

Textures are made in CS3.  Can you specify specific textures, Jimmy?  Thanks.  It might be a res problem. I'm tending to keep maps around 256x256 except for lcars.  
if you look at the vertical lights around the back console, below the consoles, the beams, the back wall msd; it seems rather low res and "fuzzy"...
perhaps try a higher "sharper" res?  most modern comps can handle better textures (with sharp clean lines) these days; when BC bridge modding was active some years ago, that wasnt really the case...

i dont mean to sound sour by any means - you are definitely on the right track, and frankly bridge modding hasnt been as active since 3rd era moved to Excalibur  :)

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2010, 09:24:56 AM »
As per your request Lurok I'm reporting back on the flip/resize. Screenshot attached.

Looks good to me  :)  Mind if I use that for 'official' loading screen? 

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2010, 09:31:59 AM »
Thanks to all so far, esp. Jimmy, for helpful feedback.  I did make many of the textures smaller (esp the 'blurry' ones; 128x128, wtf!)  to keep download filesize down, but will increase in later releases.  I'm not really a texturer as such so if anyone wants to improve them, please feel free.

EDIT:
Checklist of things to do then:
New loading screen  (done)
Flatter viewscreen   (done)

Red alert status
'Darken bridge' status
(Can't fix at present. This is a generic prob with modding existing bridges as those original light changes hardwired to nifs. When nif is modded, unless original lightmapping/texture names retained - which is unlikely -  light/alert changes are lost. Sorry :(.   Until can get advice how to create same in all modded bridges, no map/light changes attainable).

Bump up texture resolutions (done - ones Jimmy mentioned were very low!, lol)

Fix F1/F2   - Confused about this. On my wb bridge, F1 goes to helm, F2 to tac as on other bridges, not ceiling. So can't see prob tiqhud mentioned.