Author Topic: Space speed cameras  (Read 1685 times)

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
Space speed cameras
« on: April 21, 2010, 08:41:29 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7608153/New-speed-cameras-trap-motorists-from-space.html

Basically, the British Government is testing new speed cameras that work from orbit. They can measure average speed over much larger areas, and not just along one road.

Now, I very really get worked up over things like this, but this one really does piss me off. The point of speed cameras in this country has always been to deter speeding, not catch speeders. The cameras are painted bright yellow, placed in obvious places, signs are placed to warn you and theres a list online somewhere that details the location of all of them. So basically, if you get caught, your a moron. This is shifting the focus to catching speeders. To me that's wrong.
I've been driving for almost 4 years now, I always speed (the national speed limit is based on the braking distance of cars from the 70s and so is not relevant anymore), but have never been caught because I actually pay attention to what I'm doing.

Driving is about to get a whole lot less fun :banghead:
MUSE!!!

Offline Senator

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 226
Re: Space speed cameras
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 09:03:14 AM »
The way this is reported you'd think that it involved satellites with cameras.

Actually what is going on is that the cameras capture a car, and then capture a car again at some other point. Unlike the old cameras which are not aware of their location, those would be (through GPS), and then would calculate the distance/time it took to get there reaching the conclusion that even if you weren't speeding in front of them, you had to speed between them.

And yes it sucks. I just wanted to clarify the methodology.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:33:03 AM »
In a sense, if I read senator correct, they use YOUR gps system, that YOU purchased without a government subsidy , against you.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline limey BSc.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 10:05:58 AM »
In a sense, if I read senator correct, they use YOUR gps system, that YOU purchased without a government subsidy , against you.

By no means. Not everyone has a GPS system in their car.

The satellites would know the GPS position of the speed cameras, and work out the average speed between the 2.

reaching the conclusion that even if you weren't speeding in front of them, you had to speed between them.

Average speed cameras at the moment don't measure your speed in front of the camera. They only record what time you went past it.
MUSE!!!

Offline Senator

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 226
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:31:43 AM »
What they also don't tell you is that this technology is based on license plate recognition, and that in order to work the cameras record 24/7 all license plates passing in front of them.
So even if you are not violating the speed limit your movements get recorded anyway.

Discordian advice: Use fake license plates and have people accused of going London to Glasgow in 10 minutes.

Offline limey BSc.

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 10:39:08 AM »
What they also don't tell you is that this technology is based on license plate recognition, and that in order to work the cameras record 24/7 all license plates passing in front of them.
So even if you are not violating the speed limit your movements get recorded anyway.

Discordian advice: Use fake license plates and have people accused of going London to Glasgow in 10 minutes.

Average speed cameras work on plate recognition. There is plate recognition in petrol stations. The government already pretty much have the ability to track everyone. That doesn't mean they did, do or ever will use it.
MUSE!!!

Offline Vladko1

• Cookies: 72
  • The trekkie of steel
    • Modders of Steel Shipyards Homepage!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 04:16:22 AM »
Bulgaria is one big black hole, no, not even a black hole, singularity, so my dad can have a fun with 240kph with the Almera on the near by highway :funny Such kind of technology will enter Bulgaria after "unknown" years :funny But here in Bulgaria most of the roads are damaged, filled with holes, so here these are the speed traps :D

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 06:45:21 AM »
Bulgaria is one big black hole, no, not even a black hole, singularity, so my dad can have a fun with 240kph with the Almera on the near by highway :funny Such kind of technology will enter Bulgaria after "unknown" years :funny But here in Bulgaria most of the roads are damaged, filled with holes, so here these are the speed traps :D
Hey :bitch: that was my line about Poland and roads we have :smack: :funny

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 05:49:08 PM »
hate to tell ya bones, ours are in a similar state :P
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 06:16:49 PM »
heh
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Vanguard

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »
Talk about Big Brother... (No. Not the reality show)

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 05:27:50 PM »
eh... that's why i'm gonna get 95 Mitsubishi Pajero for my next car :D old, solid junk, perfect for off road... which is about everywhere here  :funny

well if it's world wide issue then why not to have some fun from it :P

Offline Vladko1

• The trekkie of steel
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 05:32:30 PM »
eh... that's why i'm gonna get 95 Mitsubishi Pajero for my next car :D old, solid junk, perfect for off road... which is about everywhere here  :funny

well if it's world wide issue then why not to have some fun from it :P
lol, Respect mate, Japanesee tech forever :thumbsup: When the Universe come to an end, the Japanesee tech will still continue to exist :bow: :thumbsup:

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 05:37:23 PM »
lol too true mate ;)

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Wrong! Incredibly wrong! This will be my zombie apocalypse vehicle of choice.

American and PROUD of it!

Offline limey BSc.

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 06:11:27 PM »

Wrong. If you want a pickup truck that will outlast the apocalypse, you get the Toyota Hilux. Top Gear proved those things are indestructable.

MUSE!!!

Offline Vladko1

• The trekkie of steel
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 06:14:42 PM »

Is that Ford having any rust? Because I know 30-35 year old Japanesee vehicles still without now rust. Even about 20 years ago my father tested Japanesee, European and American cars. From then he doesn't want to talk for American cars. He is very happy on a highway when with ours 2.2DCI car, which spent 5.2l diesel/100km with 160kph, he is very happy when we race out a Crysler 300C or other American machine with big, hungry for petrol engine funny funny The only American vehicle he likes is the Hydrogen fueled Tesla (I don't know was it American, but I remmember If Im right the bosses are Europeans). Nissan, Mitsubishi, Toyota rullzzz

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 06:33:28 PM »
Take any car into an Ohio winter and it'll rust in a week. We salt the hell out of our roads. Also note the truck they used in Top Gear was rusting out.

Offline Vladko1

• The trekkie of steel
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 06:37:45 PM »
Take any car into an Ohio winter and it'll rust in a week. We salt the hell out of our roads. Also note the truck they used in Top Gear was rusting out.
Bulgaria is using salt for the roads too when its winter. Salt + a bit sand, but still I haven't saw a rusted out Japanesee vehicle. The roads here have one hell of a holes. The smallest are 1.5 meters in diameter and 20-25sm in depth.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 07:02:23 PM »

Michigan does the same :P heck I think you get your salt from us.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.