Author Topic: Scotchy's Method of making Registries  (Read 2412 times)

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
Scotchy's Method of making Registries
« on: June 02, 2010, 02:25:27 PM »
Ok, here's scotchy's method of making registries

Step one:
Type in your text (Most registries use the font style FederationStarfleet) and rastersize the text layer.

Step two:

I forgot to add in that text, when you're selecting use the magic wand tool, and the polygonal lasso tool for the hard to reach areas like the inside of the lower curve of the five and the angle on the two.

Step Three:

I generally create a new layer at this time and use the paint bucket to paint a dark shade of blue or black inside the selected area.

Step four:

Go into the blending properties of the layer and add an inner shadow.  The settings should look like this:

Then aftewards add an inner glow to the layer, the settings should look like this also:

Enjoy!  End Result attached
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 02:28:34 PM »
You forgot the part about setting the text to follow a spline or circle. (To get that curve) :P Otherwise, handy.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 02:54:41 PM »
You forgot the part about setting the text to follow a spline or circle. (To get that curve) :P Otherwise, handy.

I did...oops although with this it's an arc set at -20, not a spline :P
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 02:55:27 PM »
 :yay:

Nicely done, new tuts are always welcome..  show an end product too.  :thumbsup:

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 03:03:15 PM »
Edited first post for you MarkyD  ;)

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 05:21:03 PM »
you make it seem so easy lol
im still struggling with step 1 :P  yay being an utter noob at photoshop!

what to do you if the name/registry is already there on a ship and you want to change it to something else?  which i guess would be before step 1?
also, which is the most proper font to find?  ive found many different "Federation" fonts but im not sure which is the best, they seem slightly different to each other?

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 05:30:43 PM »
Give me 30 minutes and I will come up with a tutorial.
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 05:49:56 PM »
yay :D  :yay:

+10 cookies for eclipse and wiley :D

if you could explain it in a very dumbed down version, like youre explaining it to a 6 year old, that would be helpful lol
we have the latest version of photoshop cs (4 extended) at work, i just wish i had the skills and knowledge to use it and all its functions like normal people can lol  :doh:

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 06:58:56 PM »
Here is my tutorial. I can still make changes if anything is still confusing. If this one is useful, I convert it to a tutorial here.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »
awesomeness!  :D  ill have to give it a shot soon, you guys make it seem so easy to do these lol

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 08:47:26 PM »
what to do you if the name/registry is already there on a ship and you want to change it to something else?  which i guess would be before step 1?
Eclipse mentioned that in your other thread.  there really isn't an easy way to do that.  you just got to manually remove the lettering and fill in the blanks underneath as best you can.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Here is my tutorial. I can still make changes if anything is still confusing. If this one is useful, I convert it to a tutorial here.

Holy Frack Wiley....you are now officially the godfather of at least one of my children :P

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 11:53:13 PM »
Holy Frack Wiley....you are now officially the godfather of at least one of my children
:serious: So, was the tutorial helpful? Another way of creating registries, but by using the StarFleet Bx Bt (outlined font) is by converting the text to shape and have one shape-layer being only the inside text and the other shape-layer being only the outline. But that way is considerably longer because you have to go from one character to another. Definitely not for beginners.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 04:09:25 AM »
could you possibly put together a tutorial for those of us with Photoshop Elements 5 and not CS2?  I don't think you can create paths with Elements, at least I can't figure out how.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 07:35:57 AM »
at least you don't have to drop in a alignment line first, like I do :P

the tute won't work with my comp because of its format.  the programs can't convert the graphics :P

what about where you have to erase a pre-existing registry, and have to completely rebuild someone's hull texture so it doesn't look REALLY obvious?
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 08:58:45 AM »
I really hate the Elements Series of Photoshop. Since I do not have it, I do not know what is available, or not available.

what about where you have to erase a pre-existing registry, and have to completely rebuild someone's hull texture so it doesn't look REALLY obvious?
You have to use a combination of the pen tool, and the line tool and vary the line's opacity. It is not a simple job.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 11:01:27 AM »
:serious:

Definitely not...:P  and yes it worked.  I have been trying to figure out how to get a path for a galaxy class...I never realized you could move and scale the path itself :doh:

Offline CptBenSisko

• Cookies: 6
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 01:00:28 PM »
a way i did it a long time ago was blow the registry up to a large number..say if it was on a 1024x1024..blow it up to 4096x4096...do your registry, curve it how you want..and then select the outline and simply fill in with whatever color you wanted...and then just resize it back to the original 1024x1024 afterwards...but that process got a little confusing

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »
I tried it in Fireworks and did it a slightly different method and got favorable results.  I'll be posting my own tutorial for Fireworks users...

Oh, and Fireworks is better than Photoshop. :P

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 05:15:10 PM »
is Fireworks a free program?  ive never tried it before...

also, it is a shame there are no programs out there somewhere like a "Starship Registry Maker" where you enter text into a field and it creates a perfect Federation registry (font, colors, etc) that you can just like copy/paste onto a ships hull lol