Author Topic: Starfleet Paneling/Aztec Pattern  (Read 1265 times)

Offline aaron067

• Cookies: 21
Starfleet Paneling/Aztec Pattern
« on: June 02, 2010, 03:24:43 PM »
I'm looking for a method of creating this type of paneling for a late 24th/early 25th century starfleet ship.  I'm familiar with the tutorial in the Tutorial section that makes use of Illustrator, but it unfortunately only covers how to apply this method to a circular saucer.  Is there a simple adaptation that I'm missing, or is there an entirely different technique for less geometric shapes like the current era of secondary hulls or triangular primary hulls?  Some some type of adjustable pattern I could use in Illustrator or Photoshop?  Ultimately, I'd like to have various hull paneling for different sections of the ship based on the paint color.

If I have to resort to doing it by handle I can certainly do that, but I was looking for something that is efficient and will be uniform across an entire section of hull.  At this point, I'll be happy just to entertain some suggestions.  Thanks in advance!

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
Re: Starfleet Paneling/Aztec Pattern
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 03:29:37 PM »
Well..

although not that helpfull mate...  I would and will say that the best method is slowly, individually and by hand.. thats how the best do it  :thumbsup:

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 04:50:12 PM »
the same method as the saucer one in the tut works on secondary hulls.  Just take the same pattern, switch to your secondary color, and repeat in the next section.  I'll show you what I mean with pictures of the Aztecing on the Enterprise-D model I'm working on.  as you can see, the pattern I used alternates between colors on each section of the hull.  Take a look at DJ curtis' models, he is the king of the Aztec. ;)  I've included a render of DJ's Generations Galaxy, you can clearly see how the Aztecing is laid out.

Offline aaron067

• Cookies: 21
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:52:33 PM »
As I said, by hand is definitely possible.  I'm certainly meticulous enough to do it that way.   :D

At the same time, though, that sense of perfection wants a certain amount of uniformity.  So, I'll definitely look into applying the saucer tutorial to other shapes and with other styles, too.

Thanks both for your help so far!  Does anyone else have any other thoughts I can consider. 

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:14:46 PM »
I would also suggest visiting this site: http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/cz_mask.htm that's where I got the aztec pattern I used on that model.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 08:06:41 PM »
i was always curious (and i wish i could ask the designers who worked on the shows) why the aztecing on ships?  does it have a purpose?  or is it just to make the ships look pretty? lol

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:18:59 PM »
Hmm...  Here's an idea:

The panels are actually all the same material.  But the surface of each isn't perfectly flat.  Let's say it is ridged, like so:
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Then each panel can disperse energy along these ridges.  However, panel orientation alternates, for a more effective dispersal:
----------||||||||||
----------||||||||||
----------||||||||||
----------||||||||||
----------||||||||||
Thus, the way light catches these panels differs, producing the aztec pattern.

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 08:23:08 AM »
i was always curious (and i wish i could ask the designers who worked on the shows) why the aztecing on ships?  does it have a purpose?  or is it just to make the ships look pretty? lol

In Mr Scotts guide I remember reading that when they refited the Enterprise they like the bare hull look and decided to leave it un-painted, this also saved the ship a few tons in paint. From this it can be determined that all pre-tos ships have aztecing under the grey paint job. Of course none of this is canon.

As for my aztecing I make a section in paint copy it a few times flip and rotate to get a few panels then using the fill tool to vary which boxes are filled in and break the uniform of the pattern. then copy to photoshop to add other defects to the texture.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 10:54:48 AM »
I read somewhere actually that the producers of The Motion Picture wanted the ship to look more like the space shuttles of today, so they made panels (I don't know HOW they came up with the scheme...so don't ask :P)
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Adonis

• Ze Meister xP
  • Cookies: 84
  • Da Death Squad ???
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 12:06:58 AM »

They did it to give the ships a sense of scale.
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline Wicked Zombie

• Get to da choppa!
  • Cookies: 1
  • Quality has a quantity all its own
    • Demon Renegade Studios
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 10:14:31 AM »
Aztecs are just a ship-builder's term for hull panels. Just like sea ships today, Fed ships aren't one solid piece, but made of countless smaller pieces welded (phaser-ed?) together. Think of it as a giant 3D form of tetris using metal plates.

Of course the "real" reason they have aztecs is to make the ships look less plain and boring to the average viewer.
DRS Forums
Klingon Texture Tutorial - Aztec Summary

Reports, incredible as they may seem, are not the results of mass hysteria...