Author Topic: Centaur class  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Aramus

• Cookies: 19
Centaur class
« on: June 19, 2010, 12:34:58 PM »
Hello again,

I have not been here for a while, but whilst playing SFCII OP I got a drive to build this..
A Centaur class reimagined..  To say its how I would have done it. I amhappy with the model so I am going to start work on the textures now.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
Re: Centaur class
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 12:50:50 PM »
Very nice, it almost has a refit feel to it. :)
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Toa_Kaita

• Cookies: 58
  • Aspiring 3D Animator and Music Composer
    • Current Project - Earth-Link Origins
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 01:08:59 PM »
Nice to see a new take on a great looking ship! :D

Offline metalnick

• Cookies: 13
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 01:28:24 PM »
Looks good.  :thumbsup:
Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permitted....

Offline Aramus

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 01:38:28 PM »
Thanks Nick...   

ok thanks to GotAFarmYet, on Dynaverse, Torpy is in place, in a dual formation. The structure underneath, is the main shuttle housing. Somewhat like the Capt yacht, but not just for him. Fighters and shuttles come out the rear, but the bottom houses a bigger diplomatic craft, suitable for it's needs.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 02:38:18 PM »
An interesting take on a canon design. I look forward to seeing how you texture it. Given that the Centaur was in use during 2370s, perhaps a texture-style pushing it up towards 2390s-2400s ?
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Vladko1

• Cookies: 72
  • The trekkie of steel
    • Modders of Steel Shipyards Homepage!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 02:45:20 PM »
lol, awesome ship, good job :thumbsup: Im waiting to see her in action in game :P

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 03:25:25 PM »
nice

Offline MarkyD

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 03:28:21 PM »
Good job

Offline Aramus

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 03:32:04 PM »
Here is where I am at with the textures.  I would like a plated look, so it looks tough  :evil:

suggestons welcome

Offline MarkyD

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 03:36:49 PM »
Nice work mate  :thumbsup: Looks clean, look forward to seeing your texture job  :)

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 05:05:57 PM »
Looks like your on the right track. Take your time with the texturing, and make sure you cram as much detailing as possible into them. Many people either model in too many details when texturing can suffice, or they end up making textures with very few details. The plated look suits this design. Keep up the good work.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline dEjavU

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 02:31:16 AM »
Nice job!  :thumbsup: though I think this ship deserves it's own class name don't you think? The naccelles alone are shouting that out. She seems to have more of a TNG feel to her design rather than that named from an older TMP class. Either way looking forward to seeing how this looks when she's done, keep up the great work.  :)

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 12:13:03 PM »
Nice job!  :thumbsup: though I think this ship deserves it's own class name don't you think? The naccelles alone are shouting that out. She seems to have more of a TNG feel to her design rather than that named from an older TMP class. Either way looking forward to seeing how this looks when she's done, keep up the great work.  :)

The TOS Constitution Class was upgraded to it's TMP appearance, without having a class name change (officially) :)
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Side 3

• Cookies: 1
  • All glory to the Haruhi-toad!
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 12:17:50 PM »
The TOS Constitution Class was upgraded to it's TMP appearance, without having a class name change (officiall) :)

Suddenly, your avatar makes so much sense.  :funny j/k

Offline Captain_D

• Captain of the Seafood Universe
  • Cookies: 5
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 02:03:45 PM »
A very nice upgrade look for the Centaur class. Looks like it would make a nice Post Dominion war refit for the class. Glad to see someone do it.

I would only suggest that you sleek up the engines a bit, they look a bit boxy on the ends to me for the design, Elongate the bussards maybe, more like the bussards on the Ambassador, If you get what I mean. Like I said, just a suggestion. :)

Besides that, everything looks great to me so far, love it. :thumbsup:

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Cookies: 12
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »
I agree, the nacceles need to be refined, otherwise I like it

*cookied*
Star Trek Collision

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 03:55:21 PM »
wow i like her  :bow:

how do you do it all my ships look mediocre to say the least and as for your textures... how do you do them? i cant even do that lol

awesome!

love the new centaur  :bow:
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Cookies: 12
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 12:39:25 PM »
how do you do it all my ships look mediocre to say the least and as for your textures... how do you do them? i cant even do that lol

The key is smoothing, Alot of bc's best ships look horrible when unsmoothed. In gmax, you select everything, then use the auto-smooth feature at a value around 23.1 or so. Basically just keep messing with that value until you get it the way you want.
Star Trek Collision

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 12:47:38 PM »
actually i use smoothing groups allows for some finesse.... i guess i will just have to persevere and practice

by the way: COOOOOKIE to you :D
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"