Author Topic: 2010 astra  (Read 1107 times)

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
2010 astra
« on: July 16, 2010, 05:48:46 PM »
It has been asked where I have been this week. Like everyone from time to time I needed to step back from space for a while.

I have been trying my hand at real life objects so here it is 90% done.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
Re: 2010 astra
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 12:42:04 AM »
Very nicely done.  The contouring is particularly pretty around the wheel wells and the front grille.  If I were you, I'd try to model the actual lights themselves, since you're not making this for a game (right?).

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 07:21:54 AM »
don't tempt, Locke.  I've been thinking about trying to find a car model to convert to have a gag-ship for BC.  I've also been trying to find an open scource aircraft somewhere to BC.  unfortunately, aircraft modelers have been having a time lately, as every WW2 plane has been yanked by companies screaming copyright infringement.  it's been getting steadily worse in this vein since the Internet became common as mud and the RIAA sued the living crap out of everybody.

the lights on modern cars are probably hell to model because of the "euro clear" style in all lights. 
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline baz1701

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 07:24:38 AM »
well the car has evolved in the last 24 hours.

I may model the lights yet.

Offline Vladko1

• Cookies: 72
  • The trekkie of steel
    • Modders of Steel Shipyards Homepage!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 07:57:50 AM »
lol, how you did the interior :bow: I coundt make it well on my Almera :( But Ill remodel her at all soon :P

Offline Locke

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 12:36:34 PM »
I always got my study models for Flight Simulator from places like TurboSquid and The 3D Studio.  They usually have a fair number of models that are free, although some of them can be of poor quality or have faaaarrrrr too many polys for a game engine.  What kind of aircraft were you thinking of, KCS?  I've been a member of the FS modeling community for 8 years: I bet I could locate the right source files.

Baz, change that color scheme back!  The red was so pretty . . .  :funny

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 01:56:58 PM »
dude, the report on "models removed for copyright violation" was AT Turbosquid.  mostly involving WW2 era bombers.  personally, I'll take a P61 Black Widow, ME 262/  Mitsubishi Kikka (japanese lookalike, not licensed by them), a new A10 warthog (i found one, but it has a modeled in pilot/missles), a Hurricane and/or a Spitfire, mabey a Gloster Gauntlet, Meteor ( either German or Brit), and any version of a Canberra, a Vampire, and how about an Avro Vulcan (picture one of THOSE in actual Vulcan livery!)

I don't see what's wrong with the Astra in police Livery.  at least it looks like it belongs there.  american police forces don't HAVE one standard.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline baz1701

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 02:34:26 PM »
Baz, change that color scheme back!  The red was so pretty . . .  :funny

It was always ment to be a police car as I'm making a 3d Poilce film.

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 07:10:37 PM »
Not a nit pick but wouldn't a new police car have the battenburg livery now instead of the individual force livery?

Offline baz1701

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 03:49:45 AM »
Not when the movie is based around the MET police.

Note the pic is of the real new model Astra used by the MET, I wish my skills were that good.

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 05:06:54 AM »
Sweet, I didn't realise the Met still opted to paint cars in their livery. The PSNI have embraced battenburg. The old grey meat wagons we have are even painted in it!

I'm loving the new lights, very futuristic!

Offline baz1701

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 05:33:05 AM »
Yeah about 5 or 6 years ago the MET went to silver cars as they are eaiser to sell after they are decommisioned than white ones.

As far as I know they are the only force doing this.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 07:34:54 AM »
mckinneyc: got pics?  I'm used to seeing what he's using on his model anytime I catch an impage of a british police cruiser.

baz: silver?  heh.  nobody buys old cruisers over here unless they're "brown paper bags" (stock colours, but with the pursuit package normally installed on cruisers).  white paint is pretty much reserved for "fleet" use, and everybody simply resprays the vehicle anyway (the steel wheels usually give a former cop car away)
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline baz1701

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 08:19:30 AM »
It is easy to spot an old police car here. The fore mentioned Battenburg stickers leave faint lines and preserve the paint below were as the paint uncovered fades. Also there are holes in the dash board where the police equipment was installed. Likewise with older cars there were rubber bungs to seal the holes the roof lights and arieals once used.

Am I right in thinking the US Police cars have a police cruiser name badge on them, even though they are the same cars used for New York taxi's

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 09:42:18 AM »
the usual US livery is basically a copy of the community's police badge on the front doors, and mabey a unit number on the boot lid, other than some occasional stripes.  more common, now, is some deco stripes leading into a styilised font spelling the name of the community utilizing the cruiser.

however, everyone's starting to adopt the CHP livery, now (white doors, boot lid and possibly bonnett).  a perfect example is Barricade
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline baz1701

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 06:28:29 PM »
here is the car in a scene at the police college (academey to our US friends)

Offline Locke

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 02:14:01 AM »
here is the car in a scene at the police collage (academey to our US friends)

Nice scene!  I like the rendering . . .

BTW: the word you were looking for is "college".

"Collage" is something you make out of other images. ;)

Just going on a spelling correction tear through the forums . . . :kiss:

Offline ECGadget

• aka Intercity125
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 260
  • Sweet Niblets!
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 12:41:40 PM »
Not when the movie is based around the MET police.

Note the pic is of the real new model Astra used by the MET, I wish my skills were that good.

Thats a wicked Astra! I haven't seen those in service yet... I think It'll come in service in september I think... lol, I like your model, its really good!

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 02:51:11 PM »
Nice work baz  :thumbsup:

Offline bankruptstudios

• Cookies: 60
  • Xander = Host, Co-Host, Producer and Editor
    • Holo Suite Magazine
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 07:28:23 AM »
I one a 2000 Astra, there realy nice to drive. The car you built, i think i'v been pulled over a couple times by, Dutch Police,lol.