Author Topic: remakes of neverending story and navigator  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
remakes of neverending story and navigator
« on: July 22, 2010, 03:24:34 AM »
Seems to me I remember seeing a trailer or something to that effect of never ending story remake? Anyone else? Also I've sound alot of results for remakes of flight of the navigator but nothing past june of 09. ANyone else who's up on this news know the progress on these? Or anything more recent?
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
Re: remakes of neverending story and navigator
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 04:50:38 AM »
Will the Never Ending Story never end?!!!!!!

Flight of Navigator hasn't been on tv in the UK for ages. It always used to be shown on Bank Holidays.

Offline metalnick

• Cookies: 13
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 06:37:34 AM »
WTF!? Is nothing sacred anymore? Why pay to see a crappy remake when you can watch the original thing? Oh wait, I know!  Its so that they can show off how big their VFX budget is.  :banghead:

A good example of a copy paste with big budget FX thrown in is Cameron's Avatar. Say what you want but all it is is a remake of Dances With Wolves. In Space. With Giant Blue ALIENS!!!!  :hithead:

Seriously, why even bother going to the movie theater anymore? Chances are you already know what's gonna happen. Which is why Netflix keeps me sane.  :thumbsup:

\end rant.....
Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permitted....

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 07:29:21 AM »
I liked those movies, espacially , flight of the navigator , I havent heard anythin about remakes tho
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 08:15:29 AM »
I think I've heard rumors that a Never Ending reboot has been in "development hell" for years.  most likely, due to copyright issues or something.

edit: i just thought of another reason.  there might be too many remakes/reboots out there.  I've been hearing a lot of complaints about the fact that Hollywood is no longer creating original ideas, but simply redoing old movies with modern CG technology for the iGeneration to go OOH and AAH over.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 10:00:27 AM »
oh yippie!!  another remake!  another story redone that will be remade into a weaker and cheesier storyline but overblown with visual fx so it is all flash and no substance!!  we can never have too many of those!  i really do enjoy seeing things i have already seen, only dumbed down and flashed out!  anyone who thinks that a movie with a fresh new idea and something unique and never done before is just crazy!  thats too much effort, and then the hollywood moguls would have to spend more money into their movie rather than keep it for their own pockets!  anyone who thinks that truly entertaining audiences with the most effort possible instead of feeding them things they have already been fed is just silly!

ok, ya - that was pure 100% sarcasm (in case anyone thought i was being serious)...

what on earth will hollywood do when they run out of movies/tv shows from the 80s to remake??  there are only so many movies from the 80s and all...
this is so ridiculous...  what the frack has happened to hollywood in the last decade??  just about everything is stupid reality shows on television instead of fresh new sitcoms or dramas, and every movie is a remake!  is this what people want??  it seems so, since stupid effortless (unless you work in the CGI dept) movies make millions... people really are becoming more and more like dumb sheep now...  sad, really...

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 10:09:16 AM »
Writers on Hollywood can't come up with original ideas anymore. They and the studios want a quick buck so it's easier to take something that has been done, something that people like, slap FX all over it, dumb down the plot and sit back and watch the millions roll in.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 11:18:56 AM »
Writers on Hollywood can't won't come up with original ideas anymore. They and the studios want a quick buck so it's easier to take something that has been done, something that people like, slap FX all over it, dumb down the plot and sit back and watch the millions roll in.
fixed :)

and to add, it is a sad reflection to modern society that these movies make millions and millions because people have themselves become dumbed down and sheep-like...

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 03:49:33 PM »
The Neverending Story is a perfect family fantsay that doesn't need to be remade. I am not ashamed to admit that it was one of my favorite movies as a kid. Neverending Story 2 and 3 blew chunks though.

I never got around to seeing Flight Of The Navigator all the way through, but a remake still seems unneeded.

Just throwing this out there:
I don't want to see it remade, but I would like to watch Explorers ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorers_%28film%29 ) again. It's been years since I have seen it, and I would really like it on Blu-ray. Even the DVD is hard to find if you don't order it online.
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 04:06:51 PM »
Jimmy you complete me!  :funny

And you're right about todays movie go-ers, the kids and teenagers. It is just goldfish viewing.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 04:58:40 PM »
For someone who has seen the original neverending Story and loved it to bits (despite the fact I was small when I saw it and the last hour of the film gave me nightmares), I can definitely tell that a remake would be murder.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 05:20:58 PM »
Okay, I'll step into the crossfire.

I tend to think that there are some movies that it might be nice to see redone.  I've been wanting to see a remake of Navigator for a couple of years.  The original was cheesy, anyway.  How would Hollywood writers make it any more so?  And it would be fascinating to see a CGI version of the ship's android.

So what if Hollywood remakes movies?  It isn't as though this is something new . . . a fair number of the movies from the 90s were remakes of stuff from the 50s, 60s and 70s.  And as for Hollywood not writing well-crafted, original screenplays in the past ten years:

Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Fight Club, Children of Men, The Matrix, American Beauty, American History X, Saving Private Ryan, Amelie, WALL-E, The Pianist, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Requiem for a Dream, LA Confidential, Pan's Labyrinth, The Prestige, Inglourious Basterds, Up, Gran Torino, Sin City, Gladiator, Slumdog Millionaire, District 9.

Those are just off the top of my head, but you get the idea.  It seems you're just not remembering what's good out there, and taking issue with the bad stuff.  Avatar was actually a decent flick for what it was.  Which was a retelling of Dances with Wolves.  Big frakkin deal.  How many times have they remade 7 Samurai in the past 50 years?  And every single one was fantastic.  The Magnificent 7 was even nominated for an Oscar!

I agree that The Neverending Story doesn't need to be remade, but if it does I will go see it.  Just because it's a remake of something does NOT mean it automatically sucks.  After all, a fair amount of Trek is just rehashing a lot of old episodes or characters.  Trials and Tribble-ations, anyone?  What about every Q episode of DS9 and Voyager?  Or Lawaxana Troi's nightmarish-ly recurring role?  Come on, all of it can't be absolutely original!

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 05:36:33 PM »
The problem is the team of producers and directors and possibly the actors involved in the making of those remakes. The Batman films so far I've found to be absolutely fantastic and not just action flicks. However something like STXI managed to scrape it barely (I say this in account for all the haters and lovers of STXI) simply because it managed to attract a different audience, possibly because of the reputation of J.J. or just the general impact of Star Trek being redone.

This kind of fear can be seen in Doctor Who. When it first began broadcasting in '05, many of the original Whovians disliked it but there was also a huge newer and younger audience that loved it. Now in '10, the series producer and head writer changed and the show is now quite different to how it was before because of that producers aims and hopes. A lot of nuWho'ers disliked the new series while many others still love it and perhaps like it even more than before.

From that perspective, I think it is the fear of change and completely rewriting things that makes us say remaking stuff will be crap. I know I'd dread the day Michael Bay attempts to remake another "classic" story/franchise.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline metalnick

• Cookies: 13
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 05:46:47 PM »
Never said Avatar was a bad film. And I don't mind the occasional remake; if it's done well. Problem is that most of the time they focus too much on FX and not enough on the stuff that really matters. Although there are exceptions to this as with anything.
Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permitted....

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 05:56:23 PM »
The Neverending Story is a perfect family fantsay that doesn't need to be remade. I am not ashamed to admit that it was one of my favorite movies as a kid. Neverending Story 2 and 3 blew chunks though.
same here!  i saw the 2nd one, yep it sucked...  didnt know there was a 3rd...  no interest in seeing it...

I never got around to seeing Flight Of The Navigator all the way through
i loved that movie also when i was a kid...

I tend to think that there are some movies that it might be nice to see redone.  I've been wanting to see a remake of Navigator for a couple of years.  The original was cheesy, anyway.  How would Hollywood writers make it any more so?  And it would be fascinating to see a CGI version of the ship's android.
well, sure, the original story might have been "cheesy", but it was the 80s lol  that was the cheesetastic decade lol :P
but to kids, it wasnt cheesy at all actually...  and if they did remake it an did it with class and style, and focused on content rather than just rehash a script for money, that might count for something...  but i doubt that would be the case...  

So what if Hollywood remakes movies?  It isn't as though this is something new . . . a fair number of the movies from the 90s were remakes of stuff from the 50s, 60s and 70s.
perhaps... but in this decade, the storylines were not important as it was to make it look all sexy, flashy, CGI, and over the top dramatic to the point of ridiculousness...  hollywood isnt even trying anymore lol

And as for Hollywood not writing well-crafted, original screenplays in the past ten years:

Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Fight Club, Children of Men, The Matrix, American Beauty, American History X, Saving Private Ryan, Amelie, WALL-E, The Pianist, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Requiem for a Dream, LA Confidential, Pan's Labyrinth, The Prestige, Inglourious Basterds, Up, Gran Torino, Sin City, Gladiator, Slumdog Millionaire, District 9.
granted...  now let's run down the list of all the remade movies, and see which list would be longer ;)  that method of movie making is more the norm than it isnt...

After all, a fair amount of Trek is just rehashing a lot of old episodes or characters.  Trials and Tribble-ations, anyone?  What about every Q episode of DS9 and Voyager? Or Lawaxana Troi's nightmarish-ly recurring role?
ya and those eps of trek pretty much sucked lol  as far as Lwaxana, well i guess thats one of the perks of being a show creator's wife lol :P  besides, Lwaxana (albeit annoying) did have a number of really good moments for the show when a true character that had actual depth shown through...

And I don't mind the occasional remake; if it's done well. Problem is that most of the time they focus too much on FX and not enough on the stuff that really matters. Although there are exceptions to this as with anything.
i absolutely agree...

but more ultimately, im just personally sick of seeing things already done for the sake of sales...  but why try when you can just resell stuff from 20 years ago and sadly that works?  especially when you want to appeal to the nostalgia of people that are now in their late 20s to late 30s who were kids grew up with it originally...

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 06:37:40 PM »
Agree with most of previous comments.  :eek   Much as I like NES,  sfx were compromised by what possible in day and more importantly,  the reason it worked was because of THE STORY (apologies for shouting  :doh:).    It's a classic, and will survive remake, as long as don't mess with it.  Lot of films still work - Wizard of Oz, Metropolis, Forbidden Planet, 5000 Fingers of Dr T. Harryhausen classics - because despite their dated sfx,  the story/characters/heart carry us through.

Curious:  does anyone remember a Joe Dante film called Explorers?  One of my all-time faves (with the great Picardo).  I seriously doubt they'll remake that anytime, even though I think it's one of best (male) kids films ever made. 

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 07:22:51 PM »
Kids these days seem to have shorter attention spans.

So studios have got rid of plot in order to get these kids and their parents through the doors using flashy gimmicks.

I watched Sink the Bismark the other day from the 50s! Such a great film and nothing computer generated in sight. Historically accurate (not changed for money making) and beautifully built model ships and sets.

If writers can't think or original ideas then stick historical events as it has been written for you instead of remake after remake after CGI filled remake!

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 08:15:09 PM »
And as for Hollywood not writing well-crafted, original screenplays in the past ten years:

Gotta add Inception to that list.
granted...  now let's run down the list of all the remade movies, and see which list would be longer ;)  that method of movie making is more the norm than it isnt...

There are more movies being made now than ever before; you can look anywhere and see some CGI-happy or cheesy remake.  But you'll also find some pretty spectacular stuff as well.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
all these remakes are for late baby boomers and the eldest end of Gen X, who were the target age they're getting now when this all came out.  the start of Gen X is now pushing forty, so maybe they figured on attracting nostalgia seeking Xers...but are getting the i(pod) generation instead.

every show and movie they're remaking happens to be from 83-86, the years when Gen X started turning into teens (which makes me feel BLOODY old).

i have the uLTIMATE bad idea for a remake.  if they try and remake "battle Beyond the Stars", then they really WILL be out of ideas.  for those of you that don't know, BBS is a remake of Magnificent 7 in space (complete with an M7 character playing his own role all over again), which is an americanized remake (WITH author approval) of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai!

personally, just make me a copy of the hero's spaceship :P
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 08:50:10 PM »
That's the point. KCS  :yay:    BBTS worked because it took great story/concept  and transposed it to new setting.  Even with RV  :funny.   No point doing remake because was of its time.   i just wish more people would  pay homage to  AK for all his great work and influence (SS: M7, BBTS, Bug's Life), Hidden Fortress (Star Wars), Stray Dog (48 Hrs).  And wrote original outline for Runway Train....