Author Topic: Star Trek Nautilus  (Read 725 times)

Offline cmaddox32

• Cookies: 1
Star Trek Nautilus
« on: August 20, 2010, 02:06:57 PM »
Just a head's up, but I've had this crazy idea about doing a game based off of a fan fiction that I still haven't completed yet. Problem is I'm not a programming guru. So, if I give a story line and help with most of the models, would there be anyone interested in helping do the scripting and the textures, sounds, and things? Just checking.

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
Re: Star Trek Nautilus
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 03:04:25 PM »
Good luck with that.

Not many around here are going to take up that mantle.  You're basically asking them to do what they already do all the time, but to your personal specifications.  The scripting equivalent to a ship request.  The tools required for doing what you're asking are free for the taking, you just have to get them and learn the process.  Building the models will be the hardest part, I believe.

Get Gmax, then get the 3DS Max NIF Plugins and install them in Gmax.  Then get the SDK and install it.  You will also need NifSkope, which allows you to view your NIF files and make certain needed changes.  You'll also need an image editor (for textures) as well as a converter for Targa files.  I use DXTBMP, which was created for Flight Simulator, but works just as well for BC.

Then you need to figure out how to use all the tools mentioned above! ;) :P

Offline cmaddox32

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 04:28:53 PM »
okay, guys, my bad. I get that it would be asking a lot from you to expect everything be to my specifications. So I guess I should've added that I'm an artist at heart, and I'm going to school for animation. Which means I appreciate that each of you prefer to be able to design whatever comes to your mind. So, with that thought in mind, I believe in letting other people have free reign, for the most part, in a creative venture. Which would make it a partnership betwween myself and them. That is to say, I would bounce ideas off of them and let them tweak things to make them better.

I'm not expecting that they follow my ideas and only my ideas. That would be wrong. So, all of that to say, if there's anyone out there who wouldn't mind helping flesh out and create an idea that's basically just a brain storm right now, let me know.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »
since this doesnt seem like a scripting-related question for BC specifically, ill move the thread to the general trek games forum...
if this was specifically meant for BC, lemme know and it can go back :)