Author Topic: Uninstalling a bridge.  (Read 828 times)

Offline enforce

• Cookies: 0
Uninstalling a bridge.
« on: August 31, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »
Ok, here is the basics of the problem in as much detail as I can provide.

Yesterday I attempted to install Generic Bridge Module (Early TNG) (2.0) created by Barihawk.

somehow I must have either installed it incorrectly, or neglected to download a needed prerequisite file for installing bridges... whichever the case was...

Anyhow to the problem itself... I attempted to remove the bridge, so that i could figure out how to reinstall it properly, I removed all the files from my base Bridge commander folders, and they are all effectively deleted, yet for some reason, the menu option for that bridge is still on the bridge selection menu in quick battle, and I am unsure how to remove it. I'm thinking there must be a file from that bridge somewhere, or a trace of it somewhere that I must have missed, but all of the installation files from that bridge I painstakingly removed hunting down every single file.

Naturally, the first solution i tried for this problem was a tatal uninstallation, and reinstallation of Bridge commander, however that didn't remove the bridge menu option. I repeated the process, making sure to delete all remaining folders, and it still didn't have any effect, the menu option for the bridge still remained.

Now I did previously install the v1.1 patch for Bridge commander, as well as the Bridge commander Mod packeger, which included a version of the foundation program.  I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling these items respectively, and it still has not solved the problem.

I was just wondering if anyone here has any ideas as to what the problem is, and how to fix it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
Re: Uninstalling a bridge.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 12:20:12 PM »
get rid of BC Mod Packager, it's seriously outdated by now, try Bridge Commander Universal Tool ;)

If I remember correctly all you need to do to disable certain bridge is deleting script files from Scripts/Bridge and Scripts/Custom/Autoload usualy both files are named the same and similiarly to the name you see on the list (not always tho).

Offline enforce

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 02:01:31 PM »
I attempted that and seems to have no effect. Is there something else I can try?

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 02:36:17 PM »
wait, you're saying that when you delete script files and start the game you can actually see the bridge on the list and choose it for qickbattle set ? that's more than odd cuz these files are responsible for bridge appearance under certain name or simply to appear ingame at all, so when they are deleted they shouldn't appear there at all

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 02:38:47 PM »
what OS do you have and where did you install BC
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »
be sure both PY and PYC files for the bridge are deleted from the 2 places Bones described...

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 02:54:25 PM »
be sure both PY and PYC files for the bridge are deleted from the 2 places Bones described...

that too...

Offline enforce

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 03:04:03 PM »
wait, you're saying that when you delete script files and start the game you can actually see the bridge on the list and choose it for qickbattle set ? that's more than odd cuz these files are responsible for bridge appearance under certain name or simply to appear ingame at all, so when they are deleted they shouldn't appear there at all

The bridge itself doesn't work, it's just the button in the player bridge selection menu is still there. which is definitely odd. and as for the files... I went through every place where I copied the files and deleted them, as far as I can tell, there are no files for that bridge in any of the folders... the problem is, it's only as far as I can tell. LOL. the auto load, the custom, the data, everything was perged.

I even used a backup copy of all my bridge commander folders from before I even started the modding process, deleting the original folders all together and replaced them with the backups.

As for the operating system, I am currently using Windows 7, and when I installed Bridge commander onto the system, it was installed by default into my c-drive under program files. I have to agree this problem is definitely an odd one.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 03:37:16 PM »
yeah that's quite unusual cuz everytime I got overwhelmed by ammount of my custom bridges on bridge list ussually deleting scripts (autoload is responsible for showing up ingame IIRC) did the job :idk:

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 03:44:03 PM »
As for the operating system, I am currently using Windows 7, and when I installed Bridge commander onto the system, it was installed by default into my c-drive under program files. I have to agree this problem is definitely an odd one.

When modding BC on a Vista or Win 7 Install it is a MUST to install BC outside the programfiles directory to avoid file protection issues.(IE changing files or deleting files will not work most of the time for Windows will have an auto backup and use those.) As said BC will most likely 100% have problems if you don't install outside the default directory. Install BC in a place such as "C:\Games" and you should be fine.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 04:04:32 PM »
Lol then I'm protected by fool's luck I suppose :P I have Win 7 Home Premium and my BC is installed in program files and believe or not but it's been heavily moddyfied (mostly experimenting with new projects etc.) with no file protection issues :D UAC is turned off btw.

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 04:08:34 PM »
UAC is turned off btw.

then that's why... LOL... though I used to turn UAC off I wouldn't now.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 04:12:09 PM »
oh... right :)

Offline enforce

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 11:52:54 PM »
that windows 7 backup file might explain a thing or two. i'm gonna experiment with that.

Offline enforce

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 11:44:12 AM »
Ok so I tried Nebula's suggestion, and it seemed to work.
I was unable to install it in "Games" perse, though. But it is no longer in the default folder. there are two program file folders on my system, one is simply named "program files" the other is named "program files(x86)" (which was the default folder for installation. so I'm not sure if installing in the other program files folder will result in a similar problem, however the problem I had seems to have been resolved. so , thanks for the help guys.

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 12:11:43 PM »
uh yeah you have a 64 bit windows OS so both programfiles folders would end up having the same issue...

and to put it into a new directory like "C:\Games"... when you install the game you just write out "C:\Games\Bridge Commander" where it asks you where you want to install it.

Offline enforce

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 02:33:34 PM »
yeah, the problem is there is no games folder under c drive. would it work if i made a games folder for c drive?

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 03:15:19 PM »
yes when you write out where you want it installed it will automatically create that folder in the c drive.

Offline enforce

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 11:58:26 PM »
ah ok... and as long as it's outside of either program files folder, it should have no problems? cool sounds good. thanks