Author Topic: So I'm going to the Halo: Reach launch event tonight.  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Mustang

• Resident Movie Critic
  • Cookies: 46
  • Muse Fan
So I'm going to the Halo: Reach launch event tonight.
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:02:45 PM »
And, since it's my first time (ever) doing something like this, can anybody give me an idea of what to expect, in terms of people, etc? My GameStop has over 500 reserved copies. Now, hopefully, things go rather quickly. I've read, from forums across the internet, that some GameStop locations have had everybody in and out the door with their game copies in hand by 12:45; and that was with MW2, the biggest selling game of 2009. So I'm not sure what to expect. From everything I've read, I guess GS gives you a special receipt, which you show after midnight and they literally hand you your copy and you walk out.

Suggestions? Experiences?

Offline Senator

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 226
Re: So I'm going to the Halo: Reach launch event tonight.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 08:04:55 PM »
You get a special receipt and then the virgins dance naked around the circle of power. The circle of power summons the Gateway and you all pass to the dimension of Akathamaltur whereas first you cross the lava sea with Tranturian rockships and reach the flying port of Shamal (just by the diamond spires). After the feast of 9 days and 9 nights when everyone is asleep, the aetherial ship will appear, which you will proceed to board and fly through the 8 cloud layers and through the hole of the skydome into the land of the black two horned unicorn, where everything is upside down and made of glassy mirrors.
There you will be tasked with bringing back to the aetherial ship the only creatures not made of glass (the reflections can be annoying) and the correct answer is going to be: Yourselves. (People sometimes get this wrong and they end searching forever until they believe that they are nothing but a reflection). You might also see some black unicorns but that's just a trick.
When you board the aetherial ship again, you go down through the skyhole again but this time you will stop on the 4th cloudlayer, which is actually made of solidified birds, in order to search for the mad elf mathematician who will ask you to bring the 8 side cube to him. Just hand him the receipt and he will give you an egg.
The egg is actually the game, but it needs to be hatched, so back to 2nd cloudlayer if memory serves (the aetherial ship has a GPS but it only speaks in a language where all sounds sound like your mother dieing so most people turn that off), at which point you meet the skeleton of a dragon, which you have to time-reverse in order to make him live again (just use the machine nearby. It has a very intuitive GUI. ), make him hatch the egg, and then finally you will head towards the 8th cloud layer, avoiding the plane of the sex crazed supermodels (lots of people don't return from that one) at which point they usually just sacrifice the noob-est guy in front of the altar of Demonoeconomicon in order to summon the Gateway back to reality.

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 08:20:26 PM »
You get a special receipt and then the virgins dance naked around the circle of power. The circle of power summons the Gateway and you all pass to the dimension of Akathamaltur whereas first you cross the lava sea with Tranturian rockships and reach the flying port of Shamal (just by the diamond spires). After the feast of 9 days and 9 nights when everyone is asleep, the aetherial ship will appear, which you will proceed to board and fly through the 8 cloud layers and through the hole of the skydome into the land of the black two horned unicorn, where everything is upside down and made of glassy mirrors.
There you will be tasked with bringing back to the aetherial ship the only creatures not made of glass (the reflections can be annoying) and the correct answer is going to be: Yourselves. (People sometimes get this wrong and they end searching forever until they believe that they are nothing but a reflection). You might also see some black unicorns but that's just a trick.
When you board the aetherial ship again, you go down through the skyhole again but this time you will stop on the 4th cloudlayer, which is actually made of solidified birds, in order to search for the mad elf mathematician who will ask you to bring the 8 side cube to him. Just hand him the receipt and he will give you an egg.
The egg is actually the game, but it needs to be hatched, so back to 2nd cloudlayer if memory serves (the aetherial ship has a GPS but it only speaks in a language where all sounds sound like your mother dieing so most people turn that off), at which point you meet the skeleton of a dragon, which you have to time-reverse in order to make him live again (just use the machine nearby. It has a very intuitive GUI. ), make him hatch the egg, and then finally you will head towards the 8th cloud layer, avoiding the plane of the sex crazed supermodels (lots of people don't return from that one) at which point they usually just sacrifice the noob-est guy in front of the altar of Demonoeconomicon in order to summon the Gateway back to reality.

In laymans terms, why didn't you pre-order it like a normal person? Then you'd have it arrive on release day.

No, seriously. I've never understood the whole point of queueing for hours for something. I am a Muse fanatic. I've seen them live 6 times and they keep getting better and better. And yet, no matter how much I like them, nothing could compell me to turn up to a gig 3 hours or more before the gates even open to make sure I have a good place, then be unable to move through the inevitably shit support acts.
The game is going to be exactly the same (if not slightly better with the inevitable day 1 patch) if you wait a bit than if you get it the second it's released.

Also, epic win Sen!
MUSE!!!

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 08:34:38 PM »
Why can't you people just preorder online and be happy not to wait in a cue for hours on end?  :idk:
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:36:42 PM »
Amazon.com preorder
Overseas right now
Email saying it's on the way
Gonna be on my desk when I get home
Everything went exactly as expected

Edit: Aww, but I thought you liked cues Billz! I hear it's a british past time.

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 08:43:09 PM »
Amazon.com preorder
Overseas right now

Not everyone in Britain is an "Arthur Dent", lol.
(If you have seen the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy movie, then you'll get the reference)

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 08:44:30 PM »
I have, it's brilliant. :P

Offline Billz

• Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 08:45:49 PM »
Amazon.com preorder
Overseas right now

Why is it going overseas from Amazon.com? Aren't you a US resident?

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »
Eh...I once had to wait 3 hours before a Plain White T's concert...but that was because I wanted to avoid traffic....

But yes...why not pre-order the game???
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline limey BSc.

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 02:39:41 AM »
Why is it going overseas from Amazon.com? Aren't you a US resident?

But he's currently in the UK.
MUSE!!!

Offline RifleMan80

• BC Veteran since February, 2002
  • Cookies: 136
  • BC Machinima Bridge Commander Elder (Feb 02)
    • Rifle's Bridge Commander Machinima
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 10:00:37 AM »
 Lol. I just pre-ordered games. Wasting my time sitting outside of a Best Buy, Walmart, K-mart, Game Stop, exc, just sitting with a tent pitched with a PS3 or Xbox 360 hooked up to a generator just to wait for a new game to come out of a box. There are some craaazy people in this world. I am one of them, but not to this extent..

Though when J.J.'s Star Trek movie came out for IMAX, my brother and I did set with a portable DVD player and watch TOS. But that is a movie though. A Star Trek movie none the less, so our actions were perfectly justified.

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline Side 3

• Cookies: 1
  • All glory to the Haruhi-toad!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 02:50:38 PM »
Lol halo.  :facepalm:

Offline TheConstable6

• ^LOL
  • Cookies: 10
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »
Mine hasn't come yet :(

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
 We are not now that strength which in old days
 Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
 One equal temper of heroic hearts,
 Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
 To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 07:11:47 PM »
So side, what games do you play?

Offline RifleMan80

• BC Veteran since February, 2002
  • Cookies: 136
  • BC Machinima Bridge Commander Elder (Feb 02)
    • Rifle's Bridge Commander Machinima
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 09:45:18 PM »

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 02:11:18 AM »
Indeed.
:lostit: I don't get it ... what's wrong with Halo ? so far it's my second fav sci-fi game (still waiting for Halo 3, ODST and now Reach to come for PC)

Offline limey BSc.

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 04:37:17 AM »
(still waiting for Halo 3, ODST and now Reach to come for PC)

I'm doubtful they ever will. Bungie's contract with Microsoft ends very soon, and they're not renewing it. The Halo franchise belongs to Microsoft and not Bungie, and let's face it, Microsoft don't really give a damn about the PC gaming market anymore.
MUSE!!!

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 12:00:44 PM »
Awwww.... :cry: oh well, maybe I'll finally get that PS2 replaced with 360 :P

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 12:02:21 PM »
Awwww.... :cry: oh well, maybe I'll finally get that PS2 replaced with 360 PS3 :P

Fixed for truth and justice.  :dontcare:
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 12:16:08 PM »
I'm doubtful they ever will. Bungie's contract with Microsoft ends very soon, and they're not renewing it. The Halo franchise belongs to Microsoft and not Bungie, and let's face it, Microsoft don't really give a damn about the PC gaming market anymore.

And even then Halo 2 for PC was a poor port  :(
Did you know I'm on Twitter?