Author Topic: A little question about adding another ship's glow...  (Read 653 times)

Offline NatsuKagura

• Cookies: 1
A little question about adding another ship's glow...
« on: October 01, 2010, 04:39:57 AM »
Hi, Guys.... I got question about ship's glow....  :D
well, I'm so interested when I read the illumination tutorial from Kirk, I like it very much  :yay:.... but I think it didn't explain about how to add another glow into some part of a texture that already have a glow on other part.... ;)

I have STBC stock Galaxy class & a GalaxyV1 from C-- , that I want to change/add their glow. :)

First is ... How to change the glow on stock Galaxy class in her saucer especially in her registry? (I want to tone it down since it's to bright that we barely see her registry/ name  :lostit:)

Second is ... As u know most of the existing Galaxy have her Port/Starboard impulse engine inactivated, but they forget to delete that engines properties on the Hardpoint file. (so at the end... all of their impulse is activated, but without glow). Nah, I want to give some glow on her Port/Starboard impulse, but how to do this anyway? :lostit:

Nah the important note/ (my) problem is that all of that ship is already have glow (on her other part, of course. ex: windows, warp, dish) and I want to leave them as what they originally is.... :thumbsup:
So How to add glow to them without touched her other part/ glow? just to add ... ;)

thank you very much, in advance, guys.... :thumbsup:

Squad 17 Gotei 14! U.S.S.NatsuKagura , Reporting for duty SSSIIIIIRRRR...........!!!!

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Re: A little question about adding another ship's glow...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 07:32:38 AM »
redoing a registry spot is on the complicated end.  reducing the brightness involves playing with the alphas.

most galaxy saucer impulses are deactivated because they shouldn't be on unless in saucer seperation mode.  re-lighting them involves adding them to the alpha channel, and dyeing them so they look like they're lit.

i can't answer a lot of questions unless i know what image editing programs your using.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 04:14:26 PM »
I have a tutorial detailing how to make and edit alpha channels in Photoshop.

Offline NatsuKagura

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
I have a tutorial detailing how to make and edit alpha channels in Photoshop.

Hi...Kirk... How are u ;)? Nice to see youuu...  :thumbsup:  Yes, I've read ur tutorial and very interested in that... That's a very good tutorial.... ;)
I have a galaxy class that I like soo much, but she has a special effect weakness in her P/S impulse engine. (it doesn't glow)
At first I give up to repair them, :lostit: until I read ur tutorial..... It gave me courage  :evil: to perfect my Galaxy.....

Kirk, since u very experience in it, could u give me a advice how to add glow to a same file that already have a glow?  ;)
If I pointed correctly... at ur tutorial for photoshop part II (illumination aka ship glow), it's explain about adding new the glow (registry) into a file that already have a glow (deflector) , BUT, the existing glow (deflector) is made by ourself as well isn't?  :P( at the same time ).
In my case... let's say the glow (deflector) is already included on the file.tga by the author. How should I do if I want to add new the impulse glow part on same the file without changing the other glow (ex: windows part)?

(becoz if I make new alpha channel for the impulse glow, how about the other part (windows)? Should I need to remake them as well?  If not, will I loss the other glow (the windows glow)?  :lostit:)
I also didn't see alpha channel for the "already exist" glow part in Adobe Photoshop CS3 :lostit:. (but I get different visual when I opened it with ACdsee :P). That's mean definitely have an alpha channel, isn't it? How to show them anyway?  :)

Note : All of the glow I mentioned is in the same file. :angel

umm... right now I'am already out of my city... so I can't open my adobe right now.... (but I have tried them two month ago...so perhaps I missed an information update here...)
Squad 17 Gotei 14! U.S.S.NatsuKagura , Reporting for duty SSSIIIIIRRRR...........!!!!

Offline NatsuKagura

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 10:46:50 PM »
redoing a registry spot is on the complicated end.  reducing the brightness involves playing with the alphas.

most galaxy saucer impulses are deactivated because they shouldn't be on unless in saucer seperation mode.  re-lighting them involves adding them to the alpha channel, and dyeing them so they look like they're lit.

i can't answer a lot of questions unless i know what image editing programs your using.

thanks for quick reply King :thumbsup:... well.. yeah... I am aware of that, in Kirk tutorial said that playing with glow meaning playing with alphas, and registry spot is complicated as Kirk also mentioned if he prefer to do it with 3DMax. :D
Well... yeah... for the ship before USS Enterprise the third starship of Galaxy class, the Starboard/ Port impulse engine only active when in saucer mode :D. But up from the fourth ship (probably USS Dauntless) all of her impulse is active  ;). My friend said that the entire Galaxy wings on Dominion war have their engine active, but I didn't confirm it yet.  :P

"re-lighting them involves adding them to the alpha channel, and dyeing them so they look like they're lit."
hehe.. yeah... I really looking forward for this......  :dance

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 10:06:40 AM »
I got an idea.  post the texture(s) with the saucer impulses.  I'll fix them and include a walkthrough for you.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 09:28:01 PM »
I honestly can't read what you're typing.

Offline NatsuKagura

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 11:20:34 PM »
Thank u very much, King  ;), that's good idea.... but It seem I have solved the problem.... somehow....
I make a very stupid fatal mistake there...  :lostit:
I edit Galaxy A (without glow) in Photoshop, BUT the one that I used during the game was GALAXY B (with glow).   :facepalm:
No wonder that I can't found any glow in Galaxy A's alpha channel. ( that's why I though I can't see the "existing alpha channel" anymore after we convert it into .TGA, but that's apparently not true)

Now, I open Galaxy B (which is the one I want) & I found the Alpha channel with glow there ,so I only need to do a little trick to add the new glow into the existing glow.
So the problem solved by itself.... seem I accidentally click my Stupid.exe file....arrrghh...   :banghead: stupid...stupid....  :hithead:

They use the same name... that's why I confused.....  :lostit:

ah... also, sorry to make u confuse, Kirk. I myself have a trouble how to describe it. Since it's my mistake, it make even more confusing.....  :lostit:
and thank u very much for quick reply, I appreciate it very much....  :D

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 07:09:28 AM »
Kirk, natsu-san is probably using a translator program or the best of the knowledge of formal phonetic english they teach over there.  relax.  we can't get them to do it right with video games, so don't expect it with posts, either :P
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read