Author Topic: The next Bridge Plugin module - BP Uniforms - Beta soon!  (Read 18799 times)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
The next Bridge Plugin module - BP Uniforms - Beta soon!
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 10:44:28 AM »
Believe me, I know the feeling. ;)
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 11:28:05 AM »
Ok, I think I have put all the relevant information in that reply here.

If you still have questions, feel free to ask.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1566
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2006, 12:34:05 PM »
Yes, EF1 and EF2 models, but the Locutus is mine, based on EF2 Picard ;)

And Mleo.. exceptional work on it... and you know how i tried that before.. lol

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2006, 10:58:01 PM »
You should do a FC skin of Data like when he had the partial Skin on his face. That would be kinda cool.

Offline Cube

• Cookies: 5
    • DJcube
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2006, 05:07:43 AM »
Quote from: Kori Barnes
You should do a FC skin of Data like when he had the partial Skin on his face. That would be kinda cool.

Like one of the ones in the Nemesis Crew Pack?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2006, 10:23:13 AM »
I figured out my bug with the Vulcan heads.

I forgot that the update function is just a shallow copy. What this means in Python is that just the top level objects are copied.
So if the dictionary has a list item, then the list is copied. ___BUT___ not the individual items of the list. Now comes a dull part about references which I shall skip.

Ok, a bit to cryptic.
In short terms, if you just update a single element of a list (and not create a whole new list) you also update the source (so in this case the default uniforms). Which isn't exactly what the intention is.
I'm hoping to resolve this without changing my documentation or already made uniforms.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2006, 11:03:07 AM »
Ok, I fixed the "Vulcan" bug I mentioned in my previous post.
There has been a little change in how you can use the default uniforms to base your new ones on.

Instead of doing this:
Code: [Select]
dNewTacticalUniform = {}
dNewTacticalUniform.update(Foundation.dDefaultTacticalUniformConfig)
<Your>

You need to do either this:
dNewTacticalUniform = {}
dNewTacticalUniform.update(Foundation.dDefaultTacticalUniformConfig()) #<<<< Note the () after dDefaultTacticalUniformConfig
<Your>

Or this:
dNewTacticalUniform = {}
Foundation.dDefaultTacticalUniformConfig.reverse_update(dNewTacticalUniform)
<Your>

The former is more intuitive (sp) than the latter (reverse logic is hard to understand and follow for some people, actually, it's "harder" for everyone to follow).

You need to pick either way (or do all the copying of the entries manually) because I encapsulated the dictionaries with a class.
Unfortunatly for me/us, Python (atleast 1.5.2, which is BC's version) won't allow any class that has the dictionary "interface" (all the functions that a dictionary has) to be used in the update function of a normal dictionary type (just other dictionaries).

This class is also made avaidable in Foundation under the name "CopyProtectedCharacterData", it acts as a normal dictionary, and can be used as a normal dictionary (just the update is a bit iffy if you need to update from it).

Also, I forgot to mention another attribute, so I've updated the big post (it's the Type attribute) when I was updating the example uniform.

Offline Shinzon

• Cookies: 9
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2006, 04:31:03 PM »
nice work still MLeo, this will be revolutionary.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2006, 07:01:53 PM »
Quote from: Shinzon
nice work still MLeo, this will be revolutionary.

Thanks!

I'm happy to announce that I might do a beta in the following days.
I just finnished adding all the remaining default uniforms for the guests and other characters. And did the code for the real guests (Picard, Data, Saalek) just before that. I'm going to test that now (handy, Blackrooks 1701 C total conversion, I've automated the process of that uniform as well, I'm planning to share that later, maybe even make it a "template" class).

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2006, 07:22:54 PM »
excellent!!  :)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2006, 08:19:27 PM »
Last update of today.

One total conversion uniform of all characters in 2 lines of code. :mrgreen:

import Foundation
o1701CUniforms = Foundation.TotalConversionUniformDef("1701-C Uniform", "1701-C", {"NIF Head Inclusion": ["Tactical", "Engineer", "XO", "Science"]})

This is one of 2 uniforms I hope to include. Both are by BlackRook (be sure to check out the original uniform readme's for full credit).

The other is this:
import Foundation
oAGTUniforms = Foundation.TotalConversionUniformDef("AGT Uniform", "AGT", {"NIF Head Inclusion": ["XO"]})

I'm going to test those tomorrow.
The prototype worked (still have to test SP).

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2006, 08:19:29 PM »
Quote from: JimmyB76
excellent!!  :)

agreed!

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2006, 07:54:20 AM »
What I need are a couple of people who can test BP Uniforms in SP.
I can't seem to get SP to run.

I think that just a small test run *could* do it. But some of the default uniform data I enterd was done late. So I might have made a mistake there, so if it's possible, I'd like to see one or 2 people to do a complete run of SP (with or without cheats, it doesn't matter for the beta).

In the mean time, I'm running a poll for 4 days to see if people want an open Beta or a closed Beta.

Personally, I would prefer 3 or 4 people who can run SP to test the default uniforms, and the 2 total conversion uniforms.
But I still need permission for the 2 total conversion uniforms.

Offline Darran

• Cookies: 19
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2006, 09:43:40 AM »
awsome, been meaning to talk to you about uniforms, i 've had a cunning plan   :D

MYar

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2006, 10:04:59 AM »
I say closed beta, because else you might get people whine that something doesn't work and that they are really putt off by it and such.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006, 10:54:31 AM »
open beta...wgen people complain, heck let them...

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline Darran

• Cookies: 19
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 11:48:52 AM »
indeed open betas are always preferable, altho slightly annoying when having to slap the idiots that dont read "OPEN BETA, NOT 100% DONE"

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2006, 11:55:49 AM »
Quote from: MYar
I say closed beta, because else you might get people whine that something doesn't work and that they are really putt off by it and such.

The only feature I haven't been able to test is the SP side of things.

The rest works. :mrgreen:

Maybe a Gamma version is more like it...

Anyway. I've decided that only people who understand the following are allowed:
You must copy the contents of the Bodies and Heads to the, included, corresponding directory

It's about the test uniforms, for which I'm still waiting confirmation.

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2006, 12:23:06 PM »
after bp0.8, and seeing how much people whine, and blame you over something like them not installing foundation.. id say closed.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2006, 12:43:23 PM »
The thing to consider is that there isn't a lot that can go wrong. Unless people start to distribute their own homemade, full of errors, uniforms.