Author Topic: TOS to TNG redeco?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
TOS to TNG redeco?
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:20:38 AM »
I just had a silly idea this morning.  i've re-located the TOS bridge Pack (works perfectly fine, now.  musta been my then non KM install), and put it back in.  i was thinking...what would that look like TNG style?

I've decided to try and pull off a TNG redeco of a TOS bridge (but not release it unless permission and interest are forthcoming).  for me, the hard bit is going to be the equivelant of the LCARS.

anybody interested?
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
Re: TOS to TNG redeco?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:40:19 AM »
Well the I'd say go for it, need to keep this game alive and well as it reaches it's 9th year.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »
I wonder whether rather than TNG it might be more interesting to go JJ-style?   That way you could combine the retro look of bridge with the funky new JJ-lcar style.  And the cool new retro-uniform look of course.    Just a thought  :)

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 11:19:42 AM »
I'll need refrences for the JJ lcars. this may end up as a co-op.  I'm not gonna touch animations or the actual model (as proven here, you need max 3 for that)

if people want the JJ uniforms, they can download that mod, themselves.  this will strictly be the bridge.  I'm working on my own uniform mods, anyway. they're pretty simple; 2 bodies, 3 uniforms

well *cracks knuckles* better get started.

don't be suprised to see recycled stock Lcars as placeholders.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline baz1701

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 11:58:10 AM »
The only thing I would recommend is rename the files you are using as to not overwrite the original bridge.

And if the bridge already has animated textures assigned then you cannot easily replace these for static ones as you they will have IFL's assigned where you want to use TGA's

Catch me online later and we'll chat about it.

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 12:28:19 PM »
I'll need refrences for the JJ lcars. this may end up as a co-op.  I'm not gonna touch animations or the actual model (as proven here, you need max 3 for that)

if people want the JJ uniforms, they can download that mod, themselves.  this will strictly be the bridge.  I'm working on my own uniform mods, anyway. they're pretty simple; 2 bodies, 3 uniforms

well *cracks knuckles* better get started.

don't be suprised to see recycled stock Lcars as placeholders.

Bones was working on some nice-looking JJ lcars
http://bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,7284.0.html

And LCARSking Adge Cutler (lcars.org.uk) has done a lot of the canon JJ Kelvin and Enterprise lcars.   I incorported some into my test EarlyTMPMiranda-to-JJ.   I think what's interesting about the JJ-style is that is combines the low-tech keypads etc of TOS and ENT with the slick futuristic lcars.  So perfect  :)

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 01:01:37 PM »
you might wanna check this out ;)

there's more of it here : http://bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,7284.0.html

I never had time to finish this but I have plenty of JJverse hand made from scratch screens (at least 10 variations ... maybe more + some cool keypads)

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 01:15:44 PM »
That's what I was talking about  :)   Someone's gotta use those...can't let them go to waste

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 01:45:01 PM »
arright...I've been completing the personal deco I started first to get an idea of what goes where on the textures (i have to copy over the standard textures, as everything's lumped together).

no caps quite yet, as I want to get some bulk finished first.  you guys will also get an idea of the P-Star's interface setup.  once I have my own deco really going, and have memorized what bits go where, I'll slap those in.

also, I'm gonna draw colors from the schemes of existing ship interiors, but I'd like to know which one...mabey I'll set up my first poll...

edit : *f bomb* i hate my dyspraxia.  can someone point me to where to edit the poll?
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 04:40:28 PM »
ok I'm uploading a link to those displays, there's at least 3 displays with 3 frames animation and are higher res than the rest - 12 sets with about 4 screens per set gives you crapload of additional screens, there are also some keypads ;)

have fun :P
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3658970/jjdisplays.rar

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 08:44:17 AM »
cheers, bones.

I'm gonna do some more finish work, then do some screencaps of the "personal" version, first.  you guys can tell me where to tone down colors with that one.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 12:07:03 PM »
ok I'm uploading a link to those displays, there's at least 3 displays with 3 frames animation and are higher res than the rest - 12 sets with about 4 screens per set gives you crapload of additional screens, there are also some keypads ;)

have fun :P
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3658970/jjdisplays.rar

Great lcars  :)  Looking forward to trying out...

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 11:13:17 AM »
okay, I'm having some trouble with the red alert panels swapping.  the underscreen tracers and the red alert pyramid on the helm console are working just fine, but since this bridge has 3 variants in one package, some things are not coming out correctly.

there are three red alert lights on the walls; one to the right of the viewscreen, one to the left only on the TOS version (this is replaced by a lift door on the TAS version), and the one near the back lift doors.

also, how do you change and/or brighten the RA blinker?  i want to brighten these for the TNG version.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline baz1701

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 04:00:56 AM »
Great textures bones. I have a JJ bridge that can really use them.

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
okay, I'm having some trouble with the red alert panels swapping.  the underscreen tracers and the red alert pyramid on the helm console are working just fine, but since this bridge has 3 variants in one package, some things are not coming out correctly.

there are three red alert lights on the walls; one to the right of the viewscreen, one to the left only on the TOS version (this is replaced by a lift door on the TAS version), and the one near the back lift doors.

also, how do you change and/or brighten the RA blinker?  i want to brighten these for the TNG version.

According to autoload script,  the wall red alerts are alert_1.tga and  the helm pyramid is def_alarm1 on each bridge.    You can adjust brightness of alert_1.tga in any graphics program.   Hope that helps?   

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 05:54:13 PM »
if I had vid capture, I'd show you what i mean, exactly.

it's not just the switching textures, in this case.  there's an intensity type LM (I think) behind those light panels that blinks as well, in a faint red.  this is what I'm looking to adjust.

since I'm testing what goes where with my own (horrible looking) bridge scheme, I notice that.  since my own guys use Blue instead of red as an alert color (generally, all lights go out but the alerts and LCARS), i see faint purple blinks, even with my "on" texture swap :P
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 06:06:23 PM »
I don't use this bridge ingame, but  from look of nif has that hardwired gamma-alert change thing going on  (similar to Defiant and Nebula).  Which basically means nothing you can do about it.  Sorry.   :(      Either have to work with it,  or ignore it.   

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 06:16:20 PM »
I'll wing it, then.

some of my corny "personal" scheme pics, done as a test run for establishing what was where in the textures.  thinking up my own LCARS design would take some time.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read