Author Topic: Majel-style shuttle voicepak mod - BETA TESTING  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
Re: Majel-style shuttle voicepak mod - BETA TESTING
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 12:45:22 PM »
When you converted with audacity, did you use IDv1 or IDv2?  I don't think its a memory leak, BC just has random issues with custom MP3's.  I modified a voice file once to include some computer sound effects that worked fine on one install and gave me static on another (and it was the same MP3).  I think it just has to do with the way the MP3 encoded and BC's ability to recognize it.

Of course another work around with this issue would be to change the TGL to use WAV format sounds and convert your computer sounds accordingly.  BC never has issues with WAV sounds (from my experience).  I know it would be tedious changing everything in the TGL, on top of converting all the sounds to WAV format, but it would solve the static problem guaranteed.

Not sure which ID version. Will check next time use.   Didn't know crew tgl could be adapted to use wav.  Isn't one issue wav files usually larger than mp3s?   But if not an issue and can figure out quick easy way to batch convert mp3 to wav,  I can change tgl accordingly.  

Although no evidence yet soundfiles are a major issue and if so, problem seems intermittent.  Still, if wav is better that could be way to go.

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 12:55:01 PM »
Not sure which ID version. Will check next time use.   Didn't know crew tgl could be adapted to use wav.  Isn't one issue wav files usually larger than mp3s?   But if not an issue and can figure out quick easy way to batch convert mp3 to wav,  I can change tgl accordingly. 
There's no issues with it.  I converted stock dialog to wav and modified the "Bridge Crew General.TGL" accordingly sometime ago to test it and it worked just fine.

Batch converting with Audacity, that I haven't figured out yet either.  If you decide to go with the WAV option and have to convert all the files one by one I'd be willing to go half & half and convert some of the sound files for you.

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
All do-able.  Just curious:  how big in mb is the wav version of crew folder?   MP3 is about 8-10mb.   Best solution might be I convert maj soundfiles and combine with your wav crew?   

Offline Morgan

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 01:50:11 PM »
I think I misspoke there for a second, when I said I converted stock dialog to see if it worked I mean I only did a couple sound files as a test, I didn't do the whole thing.  Sorry about the confusion that was my bad.  :hithead:

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 02:19:35 PM »
Ah...I see.  Well, did a batch convert of computer voices to wav and comes to around 43mb.   I'll wait and see what other feedback is:  if mp3s are a prob, will convert.  If not, might as well keep as is and save disk/processing space for low-enders  :)

Offline Morgan

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 04:19:13 PM »
I hear ya.  I always thought WAV's were smaller than MP3's, guess ya learn something new everyday.  :)

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 05:40:44 PM »
wav is a lossless format where as mp3s are compressed and as such lose sound quality...
wavs are always larger and sound better ;)

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 06:10:38 PM »
wav is a lossless format where as mp3s are compressed and as such lose sound quality...
wavs are always larger and sound better ;)

absolutely  :)    But this is dilemma:  do you give people quality and size, even if everyone's installs may not be up to it.   Or go for mass option that will work for everyone with slight loss of quality?    Isn't this why mp3 players took off in first place, lol? 

Offline Morgan

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 06:22:26 PM »
Oh absolutely!  Need to find the healthy medium.  Anyways my WAV idea was just a plan B for you in case the MP3 static issue couldn't be resolved.  In my modified MP3's I've been encoding with ID3v1 since it says it's "more compatible."  So far I haven't had any static but I haven't swapped any between installs so I can't be 100%.  Hope that helps.  :)

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 06:29:04 PM »
do you give people quality and size, even if everyone's installs may not be up to it.   Or go for mass option that will work for everyone with slight loss of quality?    Isn't this why mp3 players took off in first place, lol?  
well thats up to you, it is your mod lol  i was only furthering on nero's post where he realized that mp3s are less in filesize than wavs :)

the way i figure, if it is only a difference of 10ish mbs with mp3s and 40ish with wavs, thats not too bad...  if it was a difference of like 300mb between the two, then ya id say go for lesser lol
on the flipside, i dont really think major sound quality would be lost and noticeable in game if you decided on mp3s...

in case the MP3 static issue couldn't be resolved.
it was mentioned earlier - always use WinLame for BC use...
i have made many custom crew sfx for my install (mostly adding on computer sfx when brex would say something) and ran into the static problem a number of times...  using WinLame to re-encode the specific sfx always 100% of the time fixed that static problem and it never happened again...

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 01:11:15 AM »
it was mentioned earlier - always use WinLame for BC use...
i have made many custom crew sfx for my install (mostly adding on computer sfx when brex would say something) and ran into the static problem a number of times...  using WinLame to re-encode the specific sfx always 100% of the time fixed that static problem and it never happened again...
I'll try that.   Although I believe the static problem also can happen if you have a missing or mismatched soundfile?   So it may be a question of identifying problem first  :)

EDIT:  thanks for heads-up, Jimmy and Nero.   Put default crew through winlame and found all crew files 44100 Hz/64 kbps.  Checked against custom soundfiles and - quelle surprise -  the problem soundfiles all have diff hz and/or kbps.  So standardized all and appears for moment to have fixed static. 

Anyhoo,  think I'll package up this mod and put it out the community...