Author Topic: Majel-style shuttle voicepak mod - BETA TESTING  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
Majel-style shuttle voicepak mod - BETA TESTING
« on: December 17, 2010, 05:43:53 AM »
Here's little preview of idea been working on (idea courtesy of AdmiralKathryn).    Majel-style computer voice to replace off-bridge crew on relevant shuttles (currently silent).   USS Sovereign has created a soundpak mutator.  With the right scripts,  computer should only work on shuttle bridges but switch back to default voices when transport back to larger bridges.

Have tried to replace all the main crew sounds and created new tgl.   Please do not send/link Majel soundfiles  :)  Short of hiring an actress, lol,  this voice is my best personal choice and allows me to read any text I give her.

As always any feedback welcome and hopefully ready for beta test soon.  Volunteers please.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
Re: Majel-style shuttle voicepak
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 04:31:48 PM »
Eh...Lurok I don't know if it's just YouTube being a pain...but it kinda sounds scratchy when she says "engines"
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 06:47:43 PM »
it's youtube.  And rather than being so nitpicky so early on without the thing being tested, wouldn't it be better/more constructive just to comment on the concept?   if anyone doesn't like it don't have to download it.  Jeez  :facepalm:   I put a f*** of a lot of effort into all these mods for the BC community  and sometimes the negativity and/or lack of constructive useful encouragement just makes me want to give up.  Which I will soon anyway.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 06:59:26 PM »
lurok - take a chill pill, mon ami lol
he wasnt trashing your work, he was just suggesting one word sounded scratchy...  which had nothing to do with you anyway, thats a youtube issue...

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 07:02:33 PM »
Sorry Jimmy - i don't need a pill and perfectly chilled.  Just ticked off.   Like I said, why focus on one irrelevance and not comment on the concept?   That'w where all the hard work is.   You can lock and/or delete this too.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 12:35:59 AM »
Aside from that one little flaw on youtube's part... I thought it sounded fine :)

I don't know how else it can be improved.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 12:40:58 AM »
Aside from that one little flaw on youtube's part... I thought it sounded fine :)

I don't know how else it can be improved.

Agreed Youtube is a pain but other than that I liked it...And it could also be that I hadn't been up very long when I posted that and I just forgot to add that I liked it which has been known to happen.  I think Jimmy knows me too well LMAO.  Sorry to piss you off!!!
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 03:21:31 PM »
OK... may not be huge interest/whatever,  but this is ready to put out to beta test.   Might as well see.   

To beta test, must have Janeway SC4 shuttle bridge installed  and Sovereign/Ebridge (these are two bridges chosen for beta test).  All instructions/info in readme.   Kudos to master scripter USS Sovereign for making this mod possible. 

PM me if interest.   Here's abbreviated readme:

DESCRIPTION
-------------

This is a sound mod that will replace the off-bridge currently 'silent' shuttle bridge crews with a synthetic Majel-style voice.

I have tried to replace all the stock bridge crew voices, but please report any commands missing or errors. 

This beta currently only includes plugins for the Janeway SC4 shuttle bridge and Sovereign bridge.  To test, only use those two ships/bridges in QB, transport from one to the other, engage in battle (especially from SC4) and enjoy! 

If positive feedback, will provide plugins for stock bridges and shuttle bridges, and instructions how to create for new bridge installs.

The sound mod is mutator activated.  Once installed from zip, start BC and go to mutator menu and click on 'Set Crew Sounds'.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
Re: Majel-style shuttle voicepak mod - BETA TESTING
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 09:38:27 PM »
I lurk, takes time to post, but yeah, I get ticked at lack of comments, see my WIP thread, every other thing I say asks for comments.  (That was a lot of commas.)  I would so use this though. :thumbsup:  Do want! :D

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 10:05:43 PM »
If positive feedback, will provide plugins for stock bridges and shuttle bridges, and instructions how to create for new bridge installs.

Or if you read my latest PM back at BCS you won't have to.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 10:13:46 PM »
is the voice computer generated?

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 01:30:02 AM »
Or if you read my latest PM back at BCS you won't have to.

Just noticed that and hope will be in final release  :)

is the voice computer generated?

Yes, it's synthetic.  But I think one of best ones and closest to majel/trek-style.  

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 02:14:56 AM »
Beta testing now in progress.  Will post results.

Useful feedback needed:
Assuming mutator works and use the two test bridges...

Do the relevant soundfiles work on each specific bridge?

Are there any key missing commands?  (please provide mp3  filename from tgl)

Assuming ingame sound levels at default setting, are the computer soundfiles loud enough?

Offline kitkat27

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 02:39:29 PM »
Lurok I tested the mod and it works great! AWESOME IDEA btw!! Both bridges worked great for me. Every common command worked for me, I found that when I asked the XO for a damage report I got sounds from every officer except Miguel when he says "Sensor system is fully functional". I got a crackly static noise instead. Its a small thing, but thought I'd mention it since the other offices said the damage report properly.
Great job and thanks for letting me beta! Your mods are all made of awesome!!  :)   

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 03:04:26 PM »
Glad it worked ok  :)    I'll add that Felix line to my list.  If anyone else finds a missing command, please try and let me know mp3 name from tgl. Thanks.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »
I got a crackly static noise instead.
That may not necessarily be a bug with this mod; sometimes BC, when it tries to play a non-stock MP3 file, that static noise happens.  I don't know why, but it's more likely than not a game bug.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 03:24:59 PM »
Regarding to sound file static, a simple fix is to re-encode the file using winLame, LameXP.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 12:16:01 PM »
Regarding to sound file static, a simple fix is to re-encode the file using winLame, LameXP.

I'll try that.  I  also believe the bitrate is important?

Encoded all beta files with Audacity and all seem to be working on my install.  The static problem seems intermittent on mine, and not always same soundfile.  Wonder if could be memory leak problem?   

Any further feedback on beta welcome - unless you're all 'meh' about it or love it so much don't have time to write   :)

Offline Morgan

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 12:33:05 PM »
Encoded all beta files with Audacity and all seem to be working on my install.  The static problem seems intermittent on mine, and not always same soundfile.  Wonder if could be memory leak problem?
When you converted with audacity, did you use IDv1 or IDv2?  I don't think its a memory leak, BC just has random issues with custom MP3's.  I modified a voice file once to include some computer sound effects that worked fine on one install and gave me static on another (and it was the same MP3).  I think it just has to do with the way the MP3 encoded and BC's ability to recognize it.

Of course another work around with this issue would be to change the TGL to use WAV format sounds and convert your computer sounds accordingly.  BC never has issues with WAV sounds (from my experience).  I know it would be tedious changing everything in the TGL, on top of converting all the sounds to WAV format, but it would solve the static problem guaranteed.

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 12:42:06 PM »
That's a great idea! And whatever voice generating software you're using is superb!

The voice is extremely natural sounding, though I think the voice profile could use a little tweaking to make it more majel-like. Great work, though, great idea. I'd apply to beta test if I had access to my BC install anytime in the next few weeks.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!