Author Topic: Decent speakers & headphones  (Read 762 times)

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
Decent speakers & headphones
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:29:39 PM »
ok so when i do get my tax returns, i would like to invest on a decent pair of speakers and headphones...
i enjoy hearing good hard-trance, so bassy is a strong plus with my decision lol  and i cant really go nuts and have a crazy-mean home theater set-up for speakers, my downstairs neighbor gets upset and would have a fit  lol
currently, i have a $30 cheap set of Altec Lansing speakers, which are pretty good btw and have served their purpose well... tho they crackle nowadays a bit and ive had them for a few years and drove alot of deep bass through them lol  headphones are decent; inexpensive Logitech, but sound really good...  i just want to step a notch up...  and i have the default sound card in the computer and dont really plan on purchasing one...
i would also not rather pay more than $75 for the speakers and $75 for a headset, lesser would be better lol
ive been researching around, but i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions?  :)
cookies to all who can help lol :P

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
Re: Decent speakers & headphones
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:55:18 PM »
Well, in the speaker category I've had these for about a good 6 or 7 years now and they're still going strong.  No problems at all.  Not sure if they sell them anymore but if you can find them they're pretty good, and in the price range you're looking for.

In the headphones department, hmm... don't know what I can tell you there.  I usually stick with Sony's for my iPod but I'm guessing you're looking for something with a bit more of a kick...

Offline darrincates

• Cookies: 4
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:56:11 PM »
I was surprised when my wife came home with my 'Cyber Accoustics' headset with mic. I had told her, just pick me up something I can use to talk to the other guys during online flights together.  .... they are VERY comfortable, the bass is full but still crisp, the highs are not 'shrill' in any way, and the midrange has a very forward placed sound.  Although the mic part was poorly designed at it's contact, and quit out 6 months after purchase, the sound is still great a year later: http://www.cyberacoustics.com/retail/Headsets/AC-850

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:07:52 PM »
these
thats a little too over-the-top for me (tho i would *love* to have something like that!!!  damn my downstairs bi-polar grad student neighbor!!  ah well, she moves out in 4.5 months anyway)...  
but in all honesty, all i need is 2 decent desktop speakers that have a little stronger bite to the current ones i have...  lol i dont need a subwoofer (right now)...

http://www.cyberacoustics.com/retail/Headsets/AC-850
hmmmm ok...  ill make note of those...

pls keep the suggestions coming :)

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 09:27:12 PM »
Logitech X-240 or Logitech X-540.

I have both of em and they are awesome :D

there is also creative, they make some great head phones along with their soundcards.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:30:42 PM »
links would help :P
i am also not planning on dumping alot of cash... cost-effective+decent is the formula im aiming at...

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:35:17 PM »
you want links? here.... XD

X540
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Surround-Speaker-System-Subwoofer/dp/B000JJM8XE

X240
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-X-240-2-1-Speakers-Black/dp/B000MDZWUS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295490799&sr=1-1

Both of these are older speakers but they are still great!! Logitech has replaced em with the Z series.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:36:20 PM »
again, i dont need 17 speakers and a subwoofer lol
a decent 2-pair that can sit on my desk would be fine, if they have a bit of bite to them...
also, a good-sounding set of headphones...

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 09:38:57 PM »
I just gave you one... the X240 is a sub + 2 speakers.... the sub isn't even that big...

I have it sitting behind the family comps 20.1 inch flat screen.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 09:42:17 PM »
ok lol  the pic threw me off...  ill keep note of that one also :)

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 10:12:42 PM »
Well, for 2 speaker set up, this is the 2.1 version for the one I have.  Again I've personally tried this one (a family member has them) and found it to be pretty good.  Disregard the price in the review, they're not that much (they shouldn't be more than $30-$35)  ;).  Also don't completely rule out getting a 2.1 system, since most subs (including the ones Neb and I are showing you) have adjustable volume on them.  My sub is currently set to the lowest level and still sounds phenomenal, and I have not had one complaint from my downstairs neighbors.  :)

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 11:54:06 AM »
these

Ha, I have those as well for my PC, they kick ass.  :D

As for headset.. http://www.testfreaks.com/headphones-headsets/sony-mdr-xd200/ Haven't let me down yet, and it's cheap too.
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Meteorafallen

• MeteorCreations Founder, UUM Art Director, Renderer, Texturer, Graphical Artist
  • Cookies: 48
  • Founder of MeteorCreations
    • MeteorCreations
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 03:46:53 AM »
Hey Jimmy,

After our little music exchange we had, I think you would appreciate what I am currently using for headphones. If you are not impartial to earbuds I would highly recommend Creative's Noise Isolation Earphones. My old boss gave me a pair of them last August, and I have been using them sense then. (He's like in his 60's and had no use for them lol)

Before these I was used to using Sony's earphones, and they would begin to crackle after 2 months. But these have been the best pair of headphones/earphones I have used thus far.

http://us.store.creative.com/category/55620695201/1/EP630.htm

The only time I have ever had problems with them is if you use VLC with them, and crank the volume to 300% lol or if you use an iPod and don't use any volume leveling. (Which everyone should really IMO, because you can really kill your ears depending on the sudden change in volume if not lol)

They have incredible depth, and for $30 they have just about the same bass depth as you will find in the Beats Audio headphones. (Which also sound great, but I'm not spending almost $80 on a pair of earbuds, headphones...maybe lol)  When I first got these, they were retailed at $60, I still can't believe I got them for free XD. They also have great clarity.

And the noise isolation in them is great, the only time you can hear anything from the outside is if there's a pause in the music lol. And no one can hear them from the outside unless you pull them out.

As for desktop speakers, I currently have none other than the speakers in my laptop, which are Harmon/Kardon with an integrated sub. Best laptop speakers EVAR XD

But a friend of mine has a Logitech 2.1 set that is absolutely great sounding, great deep bass and can be very loud lol I don't know what model they are but I know that they are in the $70 price range.

Hope this helps. :)
Have a look at my website MeteorCreations