Author Topic: TMP Bridge-Lightmaps WIP  (Read 4315 times)

Offline Picky

• http://img529.imageshack.us/i/pickyngm.png/
  • Cookies: 26
TMP Bridge-Lightmaps WIP
« on: January 03, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »
While I'm waiting the panels for the ST V bridge, I'm filing my skills in modeling with the ST I bridge. Maybe this will be released, but there will be a LOT to do... So I'm not sure about the future of this bridge, but why not try ;) ?

Bones, can I use your ST I panels? This would cut a great piece of work! They are the ones used in your Early TMP Miranda Bridge (Prometheus retexture), right? If not, can you send me the right ones? If not, I will draw them myself, don't worry :) !

Here the first steps: maybe the arms of the chiars will be changed (I don't like a lot how they are right now).

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
Re: TMP Bridge-Model WIP
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 11:38:07 AM »
you can't :D because they are obsolete ;) I have new screens for ya, you had TWOK version of these when you've been modelling TWOK bridge, few tweaks and they'll be TMP ;)

Offline Picky

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 05:00:51 PM »
Thank you, but I don't want to give you more work: if you should draw new ones, the old panels are perfect!

Little update: I rebuild the walls, now they are more regular and canon. I saw that the TMP bridge is very similar to the one projected for Phase II (if you search "Star Trek Phase II Bridge" in google images you will find a picture of a white bridge with red doors), only the chairs (they seem to be really confortable!), the roof and the tactical stations are different... Maybe I will make also that version, it should be very easy.

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 05:27:20 AM »
Very impressive work, mate.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »
Slick mesh so far, dude! Nice work  :thumbsup:
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Picky

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 07:17:08 PM »
Thank you all!
Update: I have to do only the roof and the rail, maybe something to adjust.

Offline Picky

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 10:54:53 AM »
Sorry for double post: the model of the TMP bridge is complete! Now with a few modifications, it will become the Phase II bridge  ;)

Enjoy!

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 11:15:52 AM »
very nice, when textured you are more than free to use my Twok bridge files to get this bridge manned.

Any conversion help give me a shout.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 12:06:27 PM »
very nice, when textured you are more than free to use my Twok bridge files to get this bridge manned.

Any conversion help give me a shout.

Do take Baz and I up on offer. Be a shame to keep making bridge models (lovely and easy as they may be) but never actually get them ingame.   You'll find the real hard work starts now, lol  :)

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Nifty stuff!

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Picky

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 01:29:24 PM »
Really thank you for your offer, Baz  :) ! When the bridge will be ready, I'll contact you ;) ... Just a question: if I remember well, in your thread of the TWOK Bridge, you told that there was some difficulty to import the lightmaps from Max9 to Max3. Do I have to follow a particular process to do the lightmaps so you can convert this bridge wothout problems?

Little update: as thought, I totally rebuild the chairs, now they are more "fluid", but this will not be an 8472's bridge  :funny
I build also the strange speakers all around the ceiling and I made the viewscreen a bit larger, maybe not 100% canon, but I noticed that all the viewscreens, when ingame, are quite small.
And I adjusted also the tactical station.
First textures done...

Offline Picky

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 07:44:45 AM »
Another double post :S ...
Well, I have updates: the textures are near to be complete, I used the TWOK keypads because I think they are the same and now this bridge needs only the TMP panels (really, Bones, don't add more work: the ones you already have are perfect ;) !).
I noticed that full colors tend to appear as unatural and a little "cartoony", so I went for softer textures...
Here the pictures

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 09:14:28 AM »
just use panels I made for ya back when you were building TWOK bridge ;)

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 03:16:15 PM »
I noticed that full colors tend to appear as unatural and a little "cartoony", so I went for softer textures...

Looks like slowly getting there  :dance  Chair textures could be improved but not end of world, but floor definitely needs some definition (I know as get that often, lol).    Colors and definition are hard to judge in max as invariably renders look better and whatever you do ends up looking different ingame  :P   The big challenge starting now is:  lightmapping, which will make a big difference to how bridge looks and feels,  and then porting to nif.   Once all that ok, then on to animations.  

you told that there was some difficulty to import the lightmaps from Max9 to Max3. Do I have to follow a particular process to do the lightmaps so you can convert this bridge wothout problems?

There shouldn't be any problems at all importing lightmaps from max9 to max3. 

Only things have to be careful of re the lightmap process (assuming you know how to do lightmaps? If not, you should ask): 
1) get lightmaps as 'accurate' as possible  (i.e. don't overlight or underlight bridge)
2) Check lightmaps created on ch 2 (via render to texture),  and baked to object. 
3) 256x256 lightmaps fine, but shadow detail areas (like floors, walls) may need higher
4) test lightmaps working  (easiest way is to open light lister, turn off lights and then render.  If get illuminated render, lightmaps working. If black or sections black, then lightmaps not working. doh)

if that checklist ok, ready to export from Max 9 to 3, then into ingame nif. 

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »
WOW!

That's just beautiful! I particularly like the texturing on and around the green cieling dome, very slick :)
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Picky

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 05:18:47 AM »
Thank you all! I have an idea for the lightmaps, but before making an error, maybe it is better if I ask: if possible, can you explain the process step by step? Thank you :)

floor definitely needs some definition
I know, but unfortunately I'm not a good texturer... There should be a milled effect, right?

The crew chairs need to be a little more yellow, this is extremely easy (will do today :) )
The great barrier in this bridge is that if you look at the screenshots of Trekcore, you will see that the walls, the stations, the chairs, etc.. change color during the movie! Probably it is an effect of the lights, but in some scene the walls seem to be grey-green, in others brown-beige, in others grey-blue...  :banghead:

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 08:25:29 AM »
Thank you all! I have an idea for the lightmaps, but before making an error, maybe it is better if I ask: if possible, can you explain the process step by step? Thank you :)

I'll do a new thread explaining lightmapping (with pics)  which I hope you'll find useful  :)

EDIT:  here it is
http://bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,8210.0.html

There should be a milled effect, right?

The crew chairs need to be a little more yellow, this is extremely easy (will do today :) )
The great barrier in this bridge is that if you look at the screenshots of Trekcore, you will see that the walls, the stations, the chairs, etc.. change color during the movie! Probably it is an effect of the lights, but in some scene the walls seem to be grey-green, in others brown-beige, in others grey-blue...  :banghead:

There are several ways to get definition in floors.  Depending on what graphics program using (Photoshop?),  you can apply a texture with opacity,  or use one of the filters (usually film grain or similar)

Bridges do often change color depending on lighting.  You have to decide what you want as your base/green alert color first.  Then there are two ways you can add other state effects.  For standard red alert darkening, that's part of the gamma nif which I can explain when you reach that point.  That will also include red alert flashing.

The other method - usually to get blue alert, or red bridge as with Baz's TWOK bridge - is to make duplicate red-tinge lightmaps with _red suffix which are then triggered by autoload script.

Offline Picky

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 11:43:47 AM »
Thank you all! Lurok91, maybe I'll choose the standard red alert darkening without red flashing, in the movie it is like that (there is the red lighting, but then Jim says "Normal lighting" and the bridge is onlt a little darker than in the first scenes). And I think that way would be also the less heavy for our PC (when I use Baz's TWOK bridge the CPU of the PC is really stressed!!!).

Update: adjusted textures and stations begun, I made also the 3D helm-nav station, I hope Baz doesn't want any copyright for this! A question: the 5 frames animation has to be done with an "ifl" file of animation?

Enjoy

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 01:33:38 PM »
I hope Baz doesn't want any copyright for this! A question: the 5 frames animation has to be done with an "ifl" file of animation?

Yes I do lol, and once my lawyers are done with wiley they will be paying you a visit  :evil:.

But seriesously you name your frames helm1, helm2 etc then when applying the texture check sequence and select the first frame. Then open the time opions below and and change it or they will cycle to fast. I found 0.05 a good speed on the twok bridge texture animations
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline Picky

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 11:25:02 AM »
Yes I do lol, and once my lawyers are done with wiley they will be paying you a visit
 :funny

Update: some detail added to the model, texture are proceeding. But from the death of my PC, two textures didn't survive... Are the side connsolles of science station and the right one of the enviroment station (see screenshots): Bones, can you send me these panels? Thank you

EDIT: also the captain panels (the ones in the chair's arms) didn't survived, I noticed it only today. If it is too much trouble for you to send me these panels, can I use the ones from Baz bridge?

Enjoy