Author Topic: Bridge Commander: 'Dauntless Re-born' story  (Read 551 times)

Offline CDR_Daxian

• Captain_Daxian
  • Cookies: 3
  • On a Mac and still playing Bridge Commander.
    • Captain_Daxian Mods
Bridge Commander: 'Dauntless Re-born' story
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:04:19 AM »
here is something i wrote after seeing the two opening movies from BC,

(the little part from the re-positioning the Station layout was based on the Canon Crew fix)

Hope you like it :)

Dauntless Re-Born:

Vesuvi Incident Aftermath

BC Story By Captain_Daxian

In the remains of Vesuvi; a small, cornering system of the Maelstrom, the sun exploded from unknown causes. With captain Wright dead, a colony destroyed, there was nothing left for the Dauntless. The Commander ordered the ship out of the system, but not before severe damage was done to her. Back at Starbase 12, the news did not come easy, with Wright?s family, the crew, even admiral Liu, mourned his tragic and unexpected demise. After two days the crew was getting impatient, waiting for their next orders.

The Doorbell chimed, disturbing the commander while writing incident report ?Enter? he said, clicking the ?standby? button on the monitor, it slid down into the desk. Ensign Kiska came into the ready room. She walked slowly, obviously the impact of Wright?s death had affected her more than she the commander or the commander had realized. ?Ensign, please sit down? the commander said. Glancing at her face, he could see it had concealed the pain; her eyes did not do so good a job. ?What?s on your mind Kiska?? he asked neutrally.

?Well, sir, I?ve been looking over these past few days, and I still can?t make sense of it all. Just a few months ago I was transferred here, and promoted to chief helm officer, but just a few days ago the captain was killed, and not even by a good means, by a sun dying explosively, it?s almost as if something inside me has been torn ? no ? ripped away? she said despairingly.

?I know how you feel ensign,? the Commander replied, rubbing his temples. He stared out the window a few seconds then returned, he stood up and walked around ?though I?ve been on the Dauntless only four months ? not even as long as you?ve been ? I feel the same way. Captain Wright was a man of good will, one who cared for life and carried out the mission of Starfleet not because of obligation, but, because of love for exploration.?

?So what can we do sir?? she asked, her voice almost begged, but she repressed the pain, she was a Starfleet officer after all.

?I'll offer you the best advice I can think of Kiska. Remember.? He replied, stopped strolling, and then turned to face her, ?nobody?s soul lives on, without the memories to keep it alive?

The Ensign stood up and turned to face him. ?Thank you sir? she said, and walked out the door. The commander didn?t need to dismiss her. Soon there was a chirp and Felix came on the line.

?Savali to Ready room? his deep voice said over the COMM.

The commander tapped his Combadge and responded ?Go ahead Lieutenant?

?Admiral Liu has hailed; she?s requesting to speak to you? He replied.

?Put her through to the Ready room? the commander said walking to sit down again. ?And Lieutenant, isn?t it Ensign Kiska?s job to manage communication??

?Yes sir? he Answered ?She just wasn?t here to respond I took over for her, I hope that?s okay sir?

?No need for apologies mister Savali, just curious? the Commander said in conclusion, ?Ready room out?

He clicked the ?Standby? button again and tapped the ?Incoming Communication? icon on the screen. It opened another window with the Federation Logo on it. Entitled as Federation/Starfleet, Maelstrom Operations Commander, Vice Admiral Liu. It was soon replaced by the admiral, sitting by her desk at Starbase 12.

?Good evening commander,? she opened, unlike Kiska she could repress emotion ?I trust that you are in good health, but that?s not what I called for? she finished, giving an opening for the commander.

?I doubt it would be admiral. it?s sad? he said.

?Indeed commander, but I have new orders for you? she said and pulled up a case from her drawer and opened it up to show a shiny gold pip ?You?re being promoted?

The first thing that hit the commander was surprise, but there would be time for that later, and yet the captain couldn?t keep in the word ?Promoted?? he let it slip out.

?Yes, Captain? she said to re-assure him that he wasn?t hallucinating ?But here?s the catch, you won?t be able to command the Dauntless until she gets her Post-Dominion war Refit, which has been long overdue? she paused to breathe ?you are to Head to the Soho dry-dock yards for the refit, it will take at least five weeks, that?s a minimum? she said.

?Thank you admiral, I'll head there ASAP? he said

?Another thing Captain? she said, and pressed a button on her monitor, the case disappeared off her desk and onto the commander?s ?Congratulations? she said with a light smile, the Commander didn?t share it.

?Is it admiral?? he questioned. ?Dauntless out? and he closed the channel.

The commander walked out the Ready room door, leaving the case there. He ordered Kiska to Undock, and set course for Soho. He then informed Diaz that he?d be in his quarters and Miguel took Command as temporary first officer. The new Captain Lay down that night, pondering if he could?ve saved Wright, and dreading tomorrow when he?d have to put that undeserving pip on his Collar.

-----

Two Weeks into the refit, the captain had some ideas for the Dauntless, including one that he?d took from the Enterprise-D?s bridge layout. He went to engineering to give the new plan to Brex.

?What?!? Chief Brex gave him a very puzzled look ?Re-position the Station layout??

?Yes chief, and that?s what we?re going to do? the commander pulled up a schematic of the Enterprise-D Bridge layout. ?See here, helm?s at the right front and Operations is a the left front, but tactical is a the back leaving more room for Felix to operate?

?What about me?? Brex asked as if he was the center of attention, one thing about engineers is that they loved workspace

?you have two stations, the one near the turbolift and the one on Felix?s left side, see?? he pointed to the two stations ?gives you a quick access to power controls and orders for the team, the other gives you an extensive layout? the captain said, it was almost a bribe to the chief, but he thought it would be for the better.

?Okay I'll re-configure it? he replied ?maybe it?s for the best?

?And I want you to re-configure these systems based on a plan under Dauntless reborn in the Library Computer; I stored it there for you? the commander added.

?very well sir,? he replied and the commander left.

-----

The Commander stared at the gold pip, rotating it between his fingers. ?Well I maybe not deserve this,? he thought, ?but it?s for the crew, for Wright? and he pressed it a little harder between his fingers, the clip snapped open and he pinned it to his collar, then straightened his uniform. The bridge was drawing near, and then the lift doors opened.

?Captain on the Bridge? Miguel stated.

Finally after six and a half weeks of grueling repair ? sitting like a duck, in essence ? the Dauntless was finally running again. The Crew set off, not aware of what they would find out in the Maelstrom.

And the journey begins, When you play single player.

What did you think?

Captain_Daxian
BC Amateur Modder and mass consumer of Coca-Cola

All my mods are destroyed... Time to make new ones!

My Website

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
Re: Bridge Commander: 'Dauntless Re-born' story
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »
MOAR. That's all.  :thumbsup:
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know