Author Topic: Gmax Texture rendering  (Read 541 times)

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
Gmax Texture rendering
« on: February 06, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »
I am a really big noob at 3d so i will ask a lot of questions, but here is my first one-
How do you view textures that are applied to a model in TGA format?
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Re: Gmax Texture rendering
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 04:47:17 PM »
some art programs can look at them  i believe most people around here us Photoshop.  you can also look at TGA textures with irfanview, but be prepared to ONLY see the windows, bussards, plasma vents, and flood lights.  it reads the Alpha Channels :P
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline deadthunder2_0

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 04:50:53 PM »
no, i need to render the textures on the model, not view and edit them

We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 04:54:22 PM »
ah.  baz can explain it better than I can.  since your using Gmax, I'll warn you now about the mess you might end up with.  that's why I couldn't get the Firesteel textures to you the first time.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline deadthunder2_0

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 05:05:32 PM »
Ah, i need a few renders though, and i figured that i need to learn to do them my self!

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 11:14:41 PM »
I'm not even sure gmax likes targa images.  :idk: Perhaps try putting them through a converter (DDS converter is good and free, supports targa, can output to typical filetypes) and then slapping the new filetype on? I used to have the same issue with LW7 back in the day. Either way, if it doesn't work then no doubt there's a plugin for it.

...I really need to familiarize myself with the more common programs.  :facepalm:

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 07:59:22 AM »
I just gave my copy of Gmax a once over.  it's missing quite a bit compared to full on 3dsmax, including the ability to make renders.  about the only "benefit" i've seen, besides being easier and quicker to use, is that it has a very obvious polygon counter.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read