Author Topic: Starfighter Maneuverability  (Read 520 times)

Offline Azron

• Cookies: 0
Starfighter Maneuverability
« on: February 18, 2011, 09:46:02 PM »
I noticed that BC, while great for large ship physics, most fighter mods have rather poor handling, they seem to have too much mass behind them and tend to feel rather bulky and sluggish, not the nimble, darting fighters we come to expect.

Generally it takes a few moments when making a turn for the ship to accelerate into the turn, then takes time to decelerate out of it, this causes massive problems with fishtailing and other drifting which is just plain embarrassing tbh. I was curious as to how one might make a ship turn sharper, more responsively, and to stop turning faster.

Found out how to modify the turn acceleration so it's near instant, unfortunately now if I suddenly move up or down or side to side and let go the turn is almost instant but It keeps going for 7 or so seconds making me slide all over the place. I'd rather stop turning the moment I stop moving in that direction.

What we need is some sort of "Navigational Gyro" or "Stabilizer" that causes, in essence, a retro thrust to fire equal to the acceleration, so the acceleration and deceleration are roughly the same when turning, that IS supposed to be how it works in Sci-fi series that defy "Newtonian physics" after all and can come out of a turn so fast, through a form of Fly by wire.

Offline metalnick

• Cookies: 13
Re: Starfighter Maneuverability
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:10:32 AM »
not too sure but I think that you can edit what you're looking for under the impulse engine properties. Max angular acceleration and Max angular velocity are the ones.
Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permitted....

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 02:05:35 AM »
sounds like you have a high velocity but low acceleration.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 06:29:48 AM »
have you tried the Thrusters mod with KM, or does that make it worse?  i know what your talking about with fishtailing all over the place, some full size ships do it too, as do the shuttles, if their impulse is too powerful.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet