Author Topic: Elite Force 2 Bridge Crew positioning issue  (Read 1102 times)

Offline killeen21

• Cookies: 1
  • to boldly go where no chickin has gone before...
Elite Force 2 Bridge Crew positioning issue
« on: February 26, 2011, 01:17:10 AM »
From what I have seen in the Funny BC Screenshots topic I'm not alone with this problem so I was wondering if anyone here has found a reliable fix for it.

Whenever a torpedo hits the ship some of my extra crewmates from the Elite Force 2 BC Mod dislocate to the middle of the bridge while being partially stuck in the floor - I have attached a screenshot below.

I noticed that at the exact same spot where they suddenly appear there is an invisible obstacle that I cannot pass while using WalkFX - this does not happen in any other mutator based BC Crew modification - only the EF 2 Crew is affected.

Any suggestions are welcome...
PS: I'm using BC 1.1 with KM 1.0 installed.

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
Re: Elite Force 2 Bridge Crew positioning issue
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 11:50:26 AM »
That's a known bug with the EF2 crew.  The team that brought the bots into BC left them in an unfinished "Alpha" state because they went onto Excalibur.  Unfortunately, they're stuck with this issue since modding these bots is forbidden in the readme, and crew bot modding is not the most well known area of modding in BC.

Offline killeen21

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 09:47:05 PM »
But there must be some kind of a workaround.
From what I can tell the bug gets triggered when the hit animation for that specific caracter is played.

If I go into the bridge character scripts and remove all hit animations from the ExtraMale & Female characters would that be a possible solution or would I screw things up even more?

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 11:31:01 PM »
If I go into the bridge character scripts and remove all hit animations from the ExtraMale & Female characters would that be a possible solution or would I screw things up even more?
You can't just remove animations from characters, it's likely that if you do that the game will crash the second one of those characters tries to walk onto the bridge.

As far as I can tell, the main problems with the EF2 bots is that the joints aren't aligned properly and the bots use stock animations, the same ones designed for the stock character bots.  To fix these issues you would need to figure out how to properly align the joints and create new animations tailored to the EF2 crew.  Both difficult and time consuming processes to say the least.  Unless you have the skills and the tools to do this, you're unfortunately left with two options:  switch back to the stock characters or suffer through the EF2 crew's bugs...

Offline Jb06

• Cookies: 968
  • JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 08:44:12 AM »
I had this problem when i first started modding and it was to do with an error in the character scripts... So i'd suggest taking a look in them for the solution.

~Jb

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 12:08:15 PM »
I noticed that at the exact same spot where they suddenly appear there is an invisible obstacle that I cannot pass while using WalkFX - this does not happen in any other mutator based BC Crew modification - only the EF 2 Crew is affected.

That would be due to the WalkFX's character collision detection system which I developed for it back in '05. The system works fine actually but the game returns wrong values to the detection system for which there is no workaround. Namely the game believes the characters are in their initial spots and returns a set of XYZ coordinates but visually due to the animations they are in a completely different place.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline killeen21

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 08:27:49 PM »
OK I solved the problem - I went into the Bridge specific charakter scripts in /scripts/Bridge/Characters/ and in the "# Hit animations" section I commented/deleted the first two and the last one of the hit animation lines in that category - then I repeated the process for all extra characters.

I cannot notice any crashes or other instabilities that might be caused by this but the dislocation bug is definetely gone.

Offline killeen21

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 11:27:41 AM »
One problem remains though - the stock bridges don't have editable character scripts - only compiled ones so I'm unable to edit them and the bug still occurs on the Galaxy and Sovereign bridges.

Does anyone know where I can get access to/acquire the character script files for these two bridges or how to create new ones to overwrite the stock scripts?

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 11:55:04 AM »
You'll find them in the SDK here:

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/;2455

Offline killeen21

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 12:32:47 PM »
Thanks - that worked.  :)