Author Topic: HDD Fixed...  (Read 561 times)

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
HDD Fixed...
« on: February 27, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »
Ok, I'm more or less a screw up.

Can a 19 volt (output) Laptop Power Supply short out an external HDD if you use that power supply?

A quick response please as I'm on a deadline
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
Re: Can a 19 Volt Laptop Power Supply short out an external HDD?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:04:32 PM »
it's possible, You should never use anything other than the factory supplied power supply on any electronics.  You could easily short it out with too much juice.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:10:52 PM »
it's possible, You should never use anything other than the factory supplied power supply on any electronics.  You could easily short it out with too much juice.

Then I just fracked up my external HDD...well, at least the power supply/USB part of it...not too sure about the HDD itself (I'm going to try and get a chord to plug it up inside the computer...if I can find one) .  This is what happens when I get drunk...I do stupid crap.

EDIT:  ALL IS NOT LOST, it's getting power, but I think I can fix this quicklike :D
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 03:27:24 AM »
well, if you do need to plug it in to the computer, most externals have standard IDE or SATA drives inside, so you should be able to take it apart and plug the harddrive into your machine without a problem.  Although I would take it to your local computer repair shop for good measure.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:33:33 AM »
well, if you do need to plug it in to the computer, most externals have standard IDE or SATA drives inside, so you should be able to take it apart and plug the harddrive into your machine without a problem.  Although I would take it to your local computer repair shop for good measure.

Too much money...money that I don't have...and probably will never have again *sighs* the joys of working at 7.39 per hour :(

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 10:54:35 AM »
You can buy external encasments for HDD's cheap enough if the drive itself is ok.

I paid around ?20 for a IDE case when I decommision my old PC. This is online prices add ?10 for instore price.

I'm amazed you got the connector in, my wife when she did similar just bent the pins inside the HDD. Some delicate straightning and then gingerly inserting the right connector and all was well.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline eclipse74569

• Webmaster
Re: HDD Fixed...
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 05:50:05 PM »
Well, all I had to do was at least get rid of a faulty TVS diode...all I am doing now is transferring what I need onto my computer HD and then I'm going to get myself a bigger SATA HDD so that I can use my new external HDD case for my Karaoke and music needs and just hold onto my current not so functional ext. HDD.

That is if I want to try my hand at replacing that TVS Diode...