Author Topic: Majormagna's PC  (Read 475 times)

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
Majormagna's PC
« on: March 31, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »
I'm upgrading from an nVidia GeForce GT220 to a GTX460 (Both 1GB), the new card arrived yesterday; and it's freakn' HUGE!

I haven't installed it yet, as I need a new power supply (also on it's way)

The games that will really set a benchmark will be Left 4 Dead 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and EVE Online. However from what I can tell, my limiting factor will now be my processor.

EDIT: Okay, I bought the Power Supply Unit from PC World (a shop within the UK) on Friday. I ordered the Graphics Card from EVGA Europe on Saturday.

The Graphics card arrived yesterday, and Just Now, I got an email from PC World stating that the couriers picked my order up this morning.... UGH.

It had better be delivered today (but I know it won't be)
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline metalnick

• Cookies: 13
Re: New Graphics Card!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:50:56 PM »
It's always a good day when you get some new toys to play with. Congrats, man.  :thumbsup:
Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permitted....

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
Re: Majormagna's PC
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 01:33:26 PM »
Well my new rig performs very well with EVE and TF2; however my Hard Drive seems to be getting rather warm, 50 degrees C may not seem much, but the HDD is one of the most temperature-sensitive parts of a computer, and most carry a limit of 55 celcuis.

I've moved the drive so it's well ventilated and uncrowded, but it still gets to 50 C, even when idle; aside from getting a fan and putting some holes in the side of my case; what could I do?

Offline metalnick

• Cookies: 13
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 05:37:03 PM »
You could always get crazy and add liquid cooling to your rig.  :evil:
Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permitted....

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 07:23:03 PM »
Ok, let me add a limitation; cash :P

I've figured out I can't fit a fan inside the case on the removable side panel; however I suppose I could mount it outside? I'm also going to have an 'extractor' fan on the rear (I have space for one, but my PC didn't come with one)

EDIT: As a short term solution; I have pointed a desk fan at my HDD, at idle it is holding at a much more comfortable 33C.

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 04:20:37 PM »
EDIT: As a short term solution; I have pointed a desk fan at my HDD, at idle it is holding at a much more comfortable 33C.

ok nice solution, have you seen those small internalfans you can connect to the motherboard and case interior, i think one of those would benefit you as they have a perimiter of around 10cm squared.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 12:02:16 PM »
I've bought some Case fans, 1 80mm for the rear and 2 120mm for... wherever, howeve my motherboard only had the connection for a rear fan; so I've ordered 2 splitters, I'll also have to make some holes in my side-panel, but the way the case is set-up; the in fan/s over the HDD will have to mounted on the outside...

P.S. There is no room for a front or top fan.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 05:50:53 PM »
Well adding a fan on to the side reduces the idle temperature from 50 degrees C to 40... still not as good as without the side on with the desk fan (30 C at idle, 35 under heavy load)

Sadly Neb, I don't have room; nor power connectors for that fan, I suppose I could try kludging a heatsink onto it...

EDIT: New plan, will replace my noisy old desk fan currently aimed at my PC, with a quiet, or possibly silent one. I just need to find one for under ?50, so no bladeless fans  :P