Author Topic: what if the Enterprise lost her saucer section between TMP and TWOK?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline masteraccount

• Cookies: 0
what if, sometime between Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, someone overloaded one of the U.S.S. Enterprise's fusion reactors and the crew evacuated the saucer section and abandoned it just as the primary hull exploded, then the Enterprise is reduced to a secondary hull. What will happen next?

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
Re: what if the Enterprise lost her saucer section between TMP and TWOK?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »
They get a new one

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 08:52:16 PM »
They get a new one

:yeahthat:

I'm sure that the shipyards would be able to construct a new Saucer in a matter of months/years.
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 09:05:06 PM »
there's 10 years between those two movies, that's plenty of time to head back for a refit

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 07:17:02 PM »
Of course they'd only have Warp drive and thrusters, not only that, but the SIF and deflector field wouldn't work properly; would be better if they were towed to spacedock.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 08:23:33 PM »
tractor beams dont work at warp
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:30:08 PM »
tractor beams dont work at warp

Then what the hell good use are they? :P LOL

Nah, there are other ways of towing you know ;)
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
I'm pretty sure it was established somewhere that tractors do work at warp.  You just can't go too fast or do any crazy warp maneuvers.  Besides they would almost have to have some way of towing things at warp even if tractors didn't work, otherwise it would be a lot harder to set up starbases and space stations on the frontier.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
Borg cube towed Voyager with tractor beam in Scorpion pt.2 just before Borg sacrifeced it to save Voyager from 8472 attack

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
But they were
1 Borg
2 In the Voyager series
3 Already at the same speed and then the tractor was engaged
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 12:53:26 PM »
Surely extending the warp field (with engineering trickery) around an object would allow it to travel at warp? Using the tractor beam may have an effect similar to a 'remote SIF'. Or just stop the object drifting out of the warp field.

Tractor beams have been used to force ships out of warp (DS9: Paradise) From what I can read, you only need to match warp velocity at the time of tractor beam initiation, after this you can change speed.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 11:27:33 PM »
pretty sure they work at warp, unless you mean to tell me the Stargazer was towed at impulse back to starbase that would mean it arrived shortly after what Romulas Exploded?

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 08:47:36 AM »
They will work at warp but I'd assume you'd have to extend the warp field around the other ship/object taking the corresponding hit to the speed of both seeing how a warp reactor going *pop* due to overstress is bad thing :)
I miss :bigdance:

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 11:57:48 AM »
But they were
1 Borg
2 In the Voyager series
3 Already at the same speed and then the tractor was engaged

Not only in voyager but in TNG they did the same thing. The enterprise tractored in warp a probe. (i even knew that i said wtf out loud, when i saw a tractor beam appearing from the saucer section).

But about that secondary hull getting a knew saucer.. Somehow, i see a scene where an admiral starts making a farce about the age of the enterprise and that its better to decomission her.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 12:32:16 PM »
Not only in voyager but in TNG they did the same thing. The enterprise tractored in warp a probe. (i even knew that i said wtf out loud, when i saw a tractor beam appearing from the saucer section).

But about that secondary hull getting a knew saucer.. Somehow, i see a scene where an admiral starts making a farce about the age of the enterprise and that its better to decomission her.

Oh you mean Star Trek 3?

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 01:33:31 PM »
The tractor stuff was from season 1 or 2 in tng.

I mean if the enterprise (tmp) would return between those movies like the op said but without the saucer that indeed an admiral could say, that she better would be decomissioned instead again a huge refit.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 07:46:18 PM »

Well, it's not exactly a farce when it's true - he just misspoke the age. The Enterprise was forty years old when she made her last journey, and the tech had taken something of a big step forward - thanks, coincidentally, to the Big E's refit in the interim between TOS and TMP. The TMP refit made the TOS-era ships obsolete, and the big leaps forward with Excelsior were threatening to do the same to Enterprise. (On a semi-related note, it's funny that they say Starfleet transwarp wouldn't work because of the Excelsior, but think about it - how well would it have done if Scotty hadn't sabotaged the transwarp computers?)
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 10:13:22 AM »
the excelsiors transwarp drive (bear in mind thats on the 23rd centurary warp scailing) would probably run at the same speed as 1701-D going at warp 5 in the 24th centurary which would mean it would have run ok if Scotty hadnt sabotaged it, and it would only be .1 of a arp factor faster than the big E's max warp speed in the 23rd centurary.

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 10:56:14 AM »
Two points, the connie was still in production so it would not have been difficult to divert a saucer from a different under construction connie or borrowed one from a decommisioned ship.

As for the transwarp. The non-canon Mr Scotts Guide stated the Ent-A had transwarp and Starfleet re-classified transwarp as warp speed and ammended the warp scale.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 01:19:23 PM »
Euh,

Also i believed the transwarp didn't worked on the excelsior and if scotty didn't disabled it, the ship went boom. So scotty did them a favour..

TOS TMP just had a different warpscale, what used to warp 9 over there was in tng perhaps 8.

Something like that, actually correction, they just fucked up the entire warpscales everytime. Sometimes it would seem that in tng everything went faster, while in voyager everything went uberslow.