Author Topic: TNG Remastered  (Read 14094 times)

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
Re: TNG Remastered
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2012, 10:35:35 PM »
Who else went to the 25th anniversary showing today? I thought it was awesome to see those 2 remastered eps on the bigscreen.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #261 on: July 24, 2012, 03:11:12 AM »
Yeah, wouldn't it be nice if they had that same attitude about a new star trek TV series..........
See here.

In my opinion though, it's better to wait until JJ finishes his films.  Don't get me wrong, I want a new Trek series too, but it'd be smart in the long-run if they avoid the mistake they made in the 90s:  Oversaturation.  Starting up Voyager immediately after TNG had ended its run (and was starting its movie franchise), while at the same time DS9 was starting its third season was simply overkill for both the fans and the writers.  Even the most hard-core fan has trouble keeping up with two TV series' and a steady stream of movies; and that's saying nothing for the general audience.

So that leaves us with remastering.  TNG needed it desperately and the results are phenomenal.  DS9 can be the same way if we get vocal.  This can only end in a number of ways:  Either do nothing and nothing happens; do something and nothing happens; or do something and something happens.  What do we have to lose?

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #262 on: July 24, 2012, 11:13:30 AM »
Very good post Nero.  100% agree.  Cookie for you. ;)

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #263 on: July 24, 2012, 01:48:36 PM »
Agreed

Offline Cube

• Cookies: 5
    • DJcube
« Reply #264 on: July 24, 2012, 02:47:44 PM »
TNG needed it desperately and the results are phenomenal. 

I watched the entire of TNG in the past few weeks (I had only seen random episodes previously), with the three episodes from the preview Blu-Ray thrown in. I didn't have a problem at all with the original ones - the only issues I had with quality was that sometimes space wasn't quite pure black (only noticable because of the black bars due to 4:3) and some scanlines on the very edge of the screen. They're still very much watchable.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with better quality, I'm just saying that the original ones are stil fine.

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #265 on: July 24, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »
except the colors are all wrong and details you would enjoy seeing are not present on the DVD...

Watching "Where No One Has Gone Before" and "DataLore" on the big screen the other night just showed to me even more potential these Bluray remasters are giving TNG.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #266 on: July 24, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Who else went to the 25th anniversary showing today? I thought it was awesome to see those 2 remastered eps on the bigscreen.
I did but for me last nite. The episodes did look good.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #267 on: July 24, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »
I went last night and it was awesome! At the end of each episode the audience clapped their hands. It felt so good to be among Star Trek fans that really appreciate it.

I have all the series in DVD (including the remastered TOS)... except TNG, for some reason, I decided to wait. And now I'm glad I did. The remastered graphics/effects are fantastic and now I have to save my money to get these disks.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #268 on: July 25, 2012, 10:52:26 PM »
I thought this was neat, in the TNG episode 'The Naked Now' Data finds out that the original Enterprise had a similar situation (TOS: The Naked Time). But on the computer screen it showed the Refit Enterprise from TMP. They fixed it in The Remastered to show the TOS Enterprise.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x03/nakednow_hd_162.jpg

TrekCore has HD caps for the Naked Now up

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/thumbnails.php?album=5&page=1

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #269 on: July 26, 2012, 12:39:27 PM »
Jenga!

:rotflmfao:
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #270 on: July 30, 2012, 05:55:53 PM »
Someone posted this on another forum I go to

Quote from: En Ex;37007441
TNG S1 Blu-ray replacement info:

Dear Star Trek Fans, We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment. We are quickly working to remedy the situation. Replacement discs (Disc 1, 3 and 4) will be made available free of charge. Please email phe.stng@bydeluxe.com for details regarding the replacement program. You may also call 1-877-DELUXE6 (877-335-8936) between 8am to 6pm Pacific, Monday-Friday. We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

The number I called said that the replacement discs should ship within five days after August 10th, so I guess they're still manufacturing them right now (and preparing future S1 releases with the correct discs.)

Make sure you have your S1 discs handy when calling.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2012, 03:57:22 AM »
Jenga!

:rotflmfao:

I dunno who's having more fun - you or the guy playing Jenga with ODN chips.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #272 on: August 01, 2012, 01:45:27 PM »

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
« Reply #273 on: August 01, 2012, 06:45:10 PM »
*sighs* sad they STILL have the black cardboard :( they could have edited that!!!
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #274 on: August 01, 2012, 07:07:37 PM »
I hated that episode anyway.
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #275 on: August 02, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
*sighs* sad they STILL have the black cardboard :( they could have edited that!!!

Black cardboard?

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #276 on: August 02, 2012, 04:56:42 PM »
Black cardboard?

On the computer panels at the back of the bridge.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #277 on: August 02, 2012, 06:37:56 PM »
at least they are A LOT harder to spot this time around.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
« Reply #278 on: August 02, 2012, 07:34:08 PM »
I still keep my opinion that they could have edited them :P
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #279 on: August 03, 2012, 04:56:15 PM »
Probably the same reason they didn't change the green computer displays in the Naked Now. Its part of the 'original aesthetic'

Mike Okuda considered fixing the green displays to match the other LCARS colours, but decided against it for the above reason.
According to an interview on Trek Core the reason they are green was a production error, the guy who made them didn't get or didn't follow the colour guide.

Only thing Okuda fixed was replacing the refit Enterprise with the Pre-refit version.