Author Topic: External HDD help...  (Read 965 times)

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
External HDD help...
« on: June 07, 2011, 03:46:28 PM »
i JUST got my external case in for my hard drive from my old laptop, installed it in the case, and plugged it in.
plug and play came up saying its installed properly and everything is good.... not really

the drive shows up in the hardware profile, but not in my computer.. at all. i can tell the system picks it up as whenever i turn the drive on, i get a quick hourglass, and nothing else...

so does this mean i have to slave the hard drive like i would if i were installing it into a tower? and 2, are IDE jumpers universal in size? like i can take one off one of my old IDE drives and put it on this one and it should work?

thanks guys

I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Re: External HDD help...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 04:18:23 PM »
you know, I wouldn't be suprised if it had to be in slave mode.  we've gone through two towers thanks to power surges and lightning strikes (i just had out current tower upgraded with a new ethernet port, and they threw me in some more memory), and I've been slaving old drives in every time.  i remember changing a few physical pieces around with these, setting one of the pin sets to a "slave" configuration.

we need a computer hardware nerd in here.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 04:42:14 PM »
hardware is usually my thing, ive just never taken an IDE and turned it into an external before. i would think that the process is the same as it would be for any other hard drive install.... youd think with vista being as "smart" as it is.....
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 05:46:42 PM »
it IS probably counting it as a "slave".  I know i pulled it off with xp and 9x.  mabey 7/Vista and the new type connectors hare holding things back, too.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 06:04:01 PM »
maybe, but after some annoyances, and trial and error, i got it narrowed down to 2 possibles:

one: its the fact that i didnt install the drivers off the disc that came with it....  wich sounds the more likley
(wich means i have to get ahold of another computer WITH a CD drive to make an ISO image to install it all to see.)

two: the drive ITSELF is screwed and those jacka$$es at the Comp shop here lied to me and ALL my models, textures, videos, programs, music, movies, etc.... is well gone.... wich im hoping ISNT the case.

the only clue i have is that "windows cannot initialize the drive due to an I/O error." whenever i try to initialize it in the admin tools. an input/output error dosnt necessarily mean its the disk drive.
and reformatting is OUT OF THE QUESTION.

other than that im back to square one. if it IS the drive than ill have to see if its even POSSIBLE to pull everything off, (and how much it will f*cking cost) wich according to the shop, shouldnt be an issue..... SHOULDNT.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
IIRC IDE drives can't be hot swappable... try pluging it in before you turn the comp on.

now how are you connecting this HD? through USB? I think you need to have the pins set to cable select.
also if it is a 2.5" drive then ya need the smaller ide cable
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 06:32:26 PM »
IIRC IDE drives can't be hot swappable... try pluging it in before you turn the comp on.

now how are you connecting this HD? through USB? I think you need to have the pins set to cable select.
also if it is a 2.5" drive then ya need the smaller ide cable

yea, its a 2.5" ide to USB external HDD case that im using for this, (no brand name or manufacturer, it appears to be a cheap generic), as for the jumper configurations i do have it set for cable sel.
the drive itself is a Hitachi HTS541612J9AT00 ATA/IDE 5400 Rpm 120gig. i checked the specs before i even ordered the case and the specs for the drive are well below the max the case allows. i dont know if its an IIRC drive or not, since Hitachi bought IBMs drive factories, their database is all screwy and wont give the FULL specs.  :facepalm:

heres where it gets EVEN WEIRDER, itll show up in the BIOS boot order as well, but it wont boot from it even if its top priority. it just shows up EVERYWHERE, but i cant actually access the damn thing...... :banghead:  :bitch:

wait.... if i had it locked through the BIOS on my other laptop... could that make an issue as well?
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »
IIRC = if I recall correctly.

here is a thought does it show up in disk management? does it have a drive letter? if not... give it one...

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 07:35:30 PM »
ya, it shows up in both BIOS and the Disc Manager, ive ran the wizard to give it a name, but it kicks that it cant because its not initialized. but it wont initialize
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 07:40:43 PM »
Try this, make the drive a master (not slave, not cable select). Then plug in the usb cable. Also, does your external hard disk enclosure come with a separate power cable or is it running power directly from the usb port? BTW, yes, all jumpers are interchangeable (to answer your older question).

If the enclosure does not have a separate power cable, then there's a good chance you need to have 2 usb connections: one for data and the other for power as external enclosures (when mated with a 2.5" drive) don't usually need an external power source but they DO require more power than just a single usb connector can provide. This has happened to me before where the drive shows up in BIOS, disk management, etc..... but not in My Computer. In other words, its "not quite there" yet. It is being recognized but doesn't have enough power to actually function correctly. If you had a 3.5" drive inside of the enclosure then you would HAVE to have a separate power cable that you would need to plug in to a wall socket.

Finally, if none of those options work, you might have a defective controller on the circuitry of the external enclosure. In which case you'd obviously need to get another one.

Hope this helps.

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 08:12:44 PM »
.....plug in the usb cable. Also, does your external hard disk enclosure come with a separate power cable or is it running power directly from the usb port?.

no it didnt come with the seperate power cord, the usb cord is doubled as well like it should

If the enclosure does not have a separate power cable, then there's a good chance you need to have 2 usb connections: one for data and the other for power as external enclosures (when mated with a 2.5" drive) don't usually need an external power source but they DO require more power than just a single usb connector can provide. This has happened to me before where the drive shows up in BIOS, disk management, etc..... but not in My Computer. In other words, its "not quite there" yet. It is being recognized but doesn't have enough power to actually function correctly. If you had a 3.5" drive inside of the enclosure then you would HAVE to have a separate power cable that you would need to plug in to a wall socket.

i quite literally stumbled on the numbers for this just be before checking the thread again lol:
the usb cable only outputs @ 5v/500mA (external cord would be 5v1A)
the hard drive requires a 5v/600mA supply... so im AM bit short on the power. thank you none the less, now i know im not totally insane yet lol

i gotta find me a 5 volt power supply... wich it DIDNT come with  :facepalm:
shouldnt be too hard, i just gotta dig around my old mans stuff.. im bound to turn one over.

Hope this helps.

it did, have a cookie  :D
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 08:49:59 PM »
why would you run the wizard and you DON'T WANT TO INITIALIZE.... (it's like reformatting)

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 08:56:49 PM »
why would you run the wizard and you DON'T WANT TO INITIALIZE.... (it's like reformatting)

there actually was an option to not format.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 11:31:53 AM »
huh, so its a power issue, shouldnt be too hard to fix , speaking of fixing things, ive had to deal with a dead processor for a hp touchsmart pc, wish me luck on getting a replacement. :roll

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 01:58:29 PM »
huh, so its a power issue, shouldnt be too hard to fix , speaking of fixing things, ive had to deal with a dead processor for a hp touchsmart pc, wish me luck on getting a replacement. :roll

to EBAY!

hey if for 100 bucks i can get enough parts to build a decent tower, im pretty sure you can find a used, refurbed, or new processor there.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline moed

• Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 11:39:48 PM »

@ CyAn1d3 - Glad I could help... thanks for the cookie!

@ flarespire - What specific model HP touchsmart do you have? Or, what processor did you have in that system? I have a bunch of processors lying around and might have one for you.

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 03:32:14 AM »
I have a bunch of processors lying around and might have one for you.

im coming to you when i go to build my tower.. what all in parts DO you have? i just have ram and HDs
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline moed

• Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 04:32:45 AM »
im coming to you when i go to build my tower.. what all in parts DO you have? i just have ram and HDs

I have... a lot  :)

I've been building/tweaking PC's for about 15 years or so. I've built up a stock pile of computer parts over all that time... RAM, CPU's, HD's, CD/DVD burners, Power Supplies, Floppy Disk drives, Video Cards, Sound Cards, Motherboards, cases, etc., etc.

I've actually had to recycle some of it as my garage (and my wife) has gotten "up to here" (holds hand to forehead) with all my computer crap.

I worked professionally in the IT field for many years and still do it on the side freelance.

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 06:20:07 AM »
moed, the touchsmart PC is an IQ700 series UK edition and just a question, it is the CPU thats gone when it boots through bios fine but as soons as it goes to windows it just freezes?

i mean i do build PC's, as ive mentioned i built my Quad Core, so i have some knowledge, but this issue just baffles me, i know its not the RAM(laptop Ram in what could be considered a desktop, seeing as the whole things frikkin heavy...) cuz i tested it in another machine(i love machines with a Mem OK button, allows for any compatible RAM to be used regardless) and it worked fine, everything else is fine as far as i know, so could it be the CPU?

Offline CyAn1d3

• RETIRED
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »
I have... a lot  :)

I've been building/tweaking PC's for about 15 years or so. I've built up a stock pile of computer parts over all that time... RAM, CPU's, HD's, CD/DVD burners, Power Supplies, Floppy Disk drives, Video Cards, Sound Cards, Motherboards, cases, etc., etc.

I've actually had to recycle some of it as my garage (and my wife) has gotten "up to here" (holds hand to forehead) with all my computer crap.

I worked professionally in the IT field for many years and still do it on the side freelance.

keep some of it bro! ill message you what ill need when i have enough money to throw at you, we can discuss that later  :thumbsup:

i wouldnt lean entirely to a processor fault, last time ive had one go out the computer wouldnt boot at all. but i could be wrong
Cy - 1-12-15