Author Topic: bad dvd rw  (Read 331 times)

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
bad dvd rw
« on: June 18, 2011, 12:04:29 PM »
does anyone know any good recivery programs that work on win 7? Free if possilbe.

yet another one of my dvds has mysteriously failed to read, after working when it was burned. I've resorted to  removing the disk and placing it back it, accessing all data and dumping it on the HD to confirm no errors since nero's checker can't be trusted. I don't understand how a disk, in a case, can just stop working when it is not even being used. All my digital; photos are now gone.

Needless to say I think win7, when it couldn't access the disk, assumed it was blank and readied it for writing, so the data is probably not erased but will be that much harder to extract. I am trying to use iso buster from my old computer bit it often jams and locks up and takes days to scan..so needless to say I am having a bit of trouble.  If anyone hsa any ideas I'd appeciate the help.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
Re: bad dvd rw
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 02:08:04 PM »
that sounds like one of two things, either: the drive trying to read the disc's drivers need updating, or you need a new drive, i cant be sure withought more info.

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 03:02:57 PM »
nah it goes haywire on both drives and my old one and others work..it's the disk.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 03:24:27 PM »
what are you using to burn the files to the disk?
is it in the UDF (1.0, 2.0 or 3.0) formate, or the ISO joilet format, sometimes the ISO format can cause write errors(in rare cases) also, it hasnt been near anything magnetic or electronic device that emits some sort of magnetic field other than the drive has it?

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 07:57:48 PM »
it's been in a rack on my wall..and magnets wont affect an optical disk anyways.

and I have no idea..I burned it with nero on my xp machine.  I get some files to show up but some are jpg and several hundred meg or even a couple gigs in size so I think I am just going to hafta write this off as a loss. my grad pics, probably all my yellowstone pix...all of that is gone. You place the stuff on optical drive because you think it's more perm than magnetic drive and still get screwed. Think from now on I am going to make double copies of them. Esp since I now have 2 writers, run'em both at once.
Read my mod blog!

Offline Captain_D

• Captain of the Seafood Universe
  • Cookies: 5
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 01:53:19 AM »
Maybe you could try it on another PC, like at a friends house. If it works, you could make another copy. Just a suggestion.

If you left it a multi-session disk, that could possibly be causing it to read funny too.