Author Topic: My Star trek board game project  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
My Star trek board game project
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:11:11 AM »
As I now enter A2 my tech coursework requires me to design and develop a final product. Not been too great at creating objects like wardrobes and chairs I though to have a bash at Star trek board game. Still need to get the go ahead but the project requires malicious detail and innovation. Im quite good at graphic design and a board game fits this well, my initial idea is too have a board with The Federation, Klingon Empire and Romulan star Empire and have the notion of Galactic Dominence. There will be diplomacy and combat as well as events which would be attained by Random card pick ups. Any ideas are welcome and when I get the ball rolling i'l start posting images. Im also thinking of setting it in the TMP era.

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
Re: My Star trek board game project
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »
Well it's been givin the go ahead so expect some stuff up soon!  :D :yay:

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 05:20:24 PM »
so, Star Trek Risk?

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:19:55 AM »
so, Star Trek Risk?

Kind of but i don't like the rules of risk and i find it a bit slow, need to do a bit of innovation.

*Edit*

Here is an idea for the front box art its not final but something that I could use. Thoughts?

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:36:41 PM »
My Enterprise seems to cover up a majority of the graphics. Try looking at how Interplay designed their game box covers like Starfleet Command, Starfleet Academy, etc. I like the hexagon pattern and schematic background, but the schematic might be too much. How about "Star Trek: Battle for Supremacy" for the title.
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 12:56:27 PM »
Thanks for the input Wiley and i've givin it a bit of an update to see if you think thats better.

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 01:45:44 PM »
I like the little ship icons. Those could be used as bulleted points telling about the game. I'm not too sure about the schematic, it might be too dark. I like the hexagon pattern, but could you do one with different graphics? If this is for the cover of the game, everything should be crisp with no "pixelization".

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »
I like the little ship icons. Those could be used as bulleted points telling about the game. I'm not too sure about the schematic, it might be too dark. I like the hexagon pattern, but could you do one with different graphics?

I suppose might do a little bit of research into some previous Star trek game designs, the issue is that most look bad as they were made in the 80's. Might have a bash in a minute and upload it later.About the pixelization I have worked tirlessly to some how give the impretion of AA but to no avail. The school comps dont have decent cards either to finalize it there so I may have too do a bit bargaing with my mates at school to use his.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 02:30:45 PM »
made in the EARLY eighties.  I still have a box set FASA one.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 03:15:48 PM »
made in the EARLY eighties.  I still have a box set FASA one.

I know what you mean i own a couple my self, car boot sales ftw.

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 03:18:48 PM »
Here's something I whipped up for inspiration. This was very easy to do.

Here's a tutorial on how I created the background:

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 04:20:51 PM »
Thanks Wiley have a look at that link tommorow when im at school, have a free 2 hours so i'l have a go. Looks awesome that box art, deceptivly simple. In the meantime here is another direction. (Found a starfield on my comp, not sure where i got it from).

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 04:51:33 PM »
Keep in mind that not everything has to have a bevel to it. Try to have all 3 ships flying toward you in a direction - no one likes flying away(sign of weakness?). There is an unnatural shine to the planet. The starfield looks a bit intense against the other graphics. Check for typos, and try limiting yourself to two typefaces (logo/title, and description text). The game title does not look like much of a logo- does it stand on it's own without graphics? Overall cleanliness is very important.

I hope I'm not being too critical. These are just things I notice whenever I turn in a project. What class is this for? Is it a for a Graphic Design class?

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 05:02:42 PM »
Keep in mind that not everything has to have a bevel to it. Try to have all 3 ships flying toward you in a direction - no one likes flying away(sign of weakness?). There is an unnatural shine to the planet. The starfield looks a bit intense against the other graphics. Check for typos, and try limiting yourself to two typefaces (logo/title, and description text). The game title does not look like much of a logo- does it stand on it's own without graphics? Overall cleanliness is very important.

I hope I'm not being too critical. These are just things I notice whenever I turn in a project. What class is this for? Is it a for a Graphic Design class?

Be as critical as you want :) need loads of feedback for this as this is going to end up as a fully working board game, this is just the front box graphics. I have over 6 months to complete and I have some ideas floating around. The class in mind is A2 product design and its a bitch, i've done taster 2 week university courses and there a hell of a lot easier than this, as well as a open university short course. The spec is so huge it gives me a head ache just thinking about it.  :banghead:

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 06:57:08 AM »
Ok guys questionaire time! :s  Message me the answers please and then i'l give the results after the next week deadline.

Q1- Would you be interested in buying a brand new Star trek board game? Yes or No

Q2- Would you like it avaliable on the mass market or produced in limited numbers to make it exclusive increasing its value.

Q3- What Era would you like it set in? ENT-TOS-TMP-TLE-TNG-DS9-JJverse

Q4- Would you like to have certain events in the game which are relevent to series and movies?

Q5- How would you like movement to be handled in game with squares or hexagons? 

Q6- Do want references to other events in Star Trek which are non cannon that have featured in games and books?

Q7- How many races would you like to feature as playable relating to the Era you have chosen.

Yeah I know it seems long winded but I need to ask different people and I thought this would be a good place to start. Thanks!

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 02:15:02 PM »
Ok guys questionaire time! :s  Message me the answers please and then i'l give the results after the next week deadline.

Q1- Would you be interested in buying a brand new Star trek board game? Yes or No

Yes

Q2- Would you like it avaliable on the mass market or produced in limited numbers to make it exclusive increasing its value.

either way's fine

Q3- What Era would you like it set in? ENT-TOS-TMP-TLE-TNG-DS9-JJverse

it could work in any era, but be careful if you set it in the TOS-TMP era, because that might make it too much like Starfleet Battles, TLE-TNG-DS9 might work better

Q4- Would you like to have certain events in the game which are relevent to series and movies?

sure, why not.

Q5- How would you like movement to be handled in game with squares or hexagons?

Hexs work better, but again, it might be too much like SFB

Q6- Do want references to other events in Star Trek which are non cannon that have featured in games and books?

sure

Q7- How many races would you like to feature as playable relating to the Era you have chosen.

I would stick with 3-4, keep it simple, try working in a variety of ship types, but keep it to as few races as possible, be careful, again you are flirting with SFB here

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 02:26:07 PM »
Thanks Aces, did some research into SFB as i've only heard of it when SFC was evr mentioned, I see what you mean by enroaching on its territory and combat does have a role to play in my board game though its not the be all and end all of it. The combat system i have conjured in my head is a lot more simplistic. Still thanks for the answers.

And also a plea, come on BCC this game is for the fans ie, you the more input I get from you guys the better this game can be, I sent a email to parmount and CBS as I wasn't sure who owned the merchandise rights if they would be intrested in what I was doing and sent off a few of my ideas. Ive yet to get a replay from both of them yet (Its been 3 days) hopefully they will be intrested.  

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 09:02:35 PM »
For playing pieces you might want to use plastic molds of starship's top views, one of every class.
TNG
Federation
FF- Challenger
DD- Sabre
LC- Steamrunner
CC- Akira
CV- Galaxy
DN/BB- Sovereign

Klingons
FF- B'rel
DD- K'vort
LC- K't'inga
CC- Vor'cha
CV- Vor'cha with shuttlebay
DN/BB Neigh'var

Romulans
FF- Science Ship
DD- Talon
LC- Melak
CC- Norexian
CV-D'Deridex
DN/BB- Scimitar

Dominion Alliance
FF- Fighter
DD- Breen Destroyer
LC-Galor
CC-Keldon
CV- Battlecruiser
DN/BB-Battleship
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel