Author Topic: Delta Flyer/Valkyrie/Type9 - new side windows fix WIP  (Read 8518 times)

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
Re: Delta Flyer/Nemesis Sovereign Bridge WIP
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2011, 03:49:05 PM »
So...getting back into modding and unfinished projects...one of reasons put Flyer on halt was wanted to experiment with putting in side windows and three-pronged viewscreen.  Still kinks to work out, but first pic results below.  Not entirely sure if will work completely but will continue until does or doesn't  :)  If experiment works, might revisit Type9/Valkyrie and boolean out windows in those too and re-release.  If doesn't work, will just release Flyer with blacked-out windows as current.

EDIT: replaced screwed-up texture pics as now fixed problem.

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2011, 04:41:39 PM »
And lurok does it again!  :dance youve yet again pushed the boundries of BC and achieved and incredible feat, i think you getting near that "BC Modding GOD" status, cookie for you sir!

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2011, 05:55:11 PM »
The whole side window issue does hold back any shuttle set (with the exception of the runabout set thanks to window covers).  For that we can thank the engine and/or the way the game is coded.  Here's to hoping you get the kinks worked out.   :drink2:

*cookied*

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2011, 10:53:58 AM »
Replaced pictures posted yesterday (see above) as sorted out texture/UVW problem.  Having had chance to test out now, throws up interesting questions.  The replacement viewscreen is three-sided (like a box with fourth wall and top & bottom removed).  So intrigued that the target object (ship) appears in the right-hand screen (window to left of player), rather than the centre plane as would have imagined.  Wonder if it's something to do with way player viewpoint is coded in relation to viewscreen?  Maybe usssov, defiant or JB2005 might have some ideas...

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
Re: Delta Flyer - need help with scripting/viewscreen/windows issues
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »
I'll wait and see if anyone has any advice re; centreing look-at on new viewscreen as above. I think it's a scripting issue.  If no joy within a week, I'll put experiment on backburner and just release flyer bridge as is with closed windows.

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2012, 03:27:32 PM »
Did you try re-orienting the viewscreen object's axes?
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2012, 05:02:15 AM »
Interesting idea  :thumbsup:   How would you do that? 

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2012, 11:37:01 PM »
I don't know how to do it in Max, it was a feature I used to use when I modelled in Truespace. It's basically re-aligning the object's local coordinate system with respect to the global coordinate system of the modelling environment.

After a quick search through Milkshape, I can't find anything resembling it there, either. I thought it would be a standard feature in modelling programs, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with Max to know. It might be peculiar to Truespace.

I imagine you could achieve the same effect by remodelling the 3-sided viewscreen 90 degrees to the left, and then rotating it into position. The objects local axes should implicitly be 90 degrees off of the current version, and the image would hopefully be centered then. Might be worth a try.

I wish I could be more specific, sorry.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
Re: Delta Flyer - new side windows fix WIP
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2012, 04:58:29 AM »
So tried your suggestion but had same result. However, you were on right path and gave me inspiration.  *cookie*  I think majority of bridges & viewscreens (and prob ship models) are built along the x-axis.  So I did two things: built a new convex viewscreen, then re-oriented DF bridge along Y axis.  Picture results below (used Savoy map).   Naturally not perfect and still a few issues which may not be able to resolve:  tendency to stretch/distort as you move eyeline to extreme edges;  repeat of on-screen model image as you move eyeline to left edge.  But all things considered it's best ingame result got so far and it sorted out centreing issue.  I'll send a revised beta to original testers to get feedback.  Note that as model xyz changed I've also had to do new anims, scripts etc.  

Having tried Flyer, thought would quickly experiment with Type9-style cockpit also. Chose Valkyrie and chopped out side windows. Again pics below and results encouraging.  What I'll probably do is remake Valkyrie, Venture Scout and Type 9 with new front windows and VRAY lightmaps, so should look better.  

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2012, 09:20:10 AM »
Yay!!! :yay:

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2012, 10:19:53 AM »
 :eek This is a great day for full fighter fights and everything else.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2012, 10:24:53 AM »
Last night I took a Valkyrie and fought a Bird of Prey.  It was pretty frustrating.  This'll make it tons funner.

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2012, 12:02:17 PM »
*BOOM!* you hear that? thats the sound of lurok breaking another barrier in BC. I think he now has the right to call himself a bridge modding god. well done!  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2012, 12:07:55 PM »
He IS bridge modding god ever since he completed first bridge and got it working in BC ;)

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »
aw shucks,guys   :doh:  anywayz, here's vrayed Valk cockpit just to give flavour of how it and others will look when get round to lightmapping...

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2012, 12:36:01 PM »
You sir are *Insert something awsome here*.

+1

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2012, 05:32:06 PM »

5. Good points.
since tga have not changed, I guess it is pointless to say the Graphics are, good, so I wont say.

6. Bad points.
When starting on bridge 'camera' is oreinted to viewin backwards
NO loadingscreen [not terribly Important IMO]
and HARD to see a target vessel in side windows [but possible]

7. Other.  DONT FORGET to include before release
NO tgas in DATA folder of zip [know meant for beta]
the included 'sfx' folder didnot unzip [possibly there was nothing present]
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2012, 05:17:41 AM »
Thanks for early feedback, tiq  :thumbsup:    Will still tweak a few things before final release after others feedback.  There will always be issues with centreing/distortion with this bridge layout and side windows but it's really just getting consensus whether that's enough of an issue to spoil gameplay.  PS:  don't worry, official release with have all tgas, screens, sfx etc  :)

Offline leemason

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2012, 05:45:22 AM »
Excellent work Lurok. Are going to redo all your shuttles bridges with the new screens as well as thoose very nice vray effects. Also I cannot find your venture scout/valkary cockpit on bc files to download again, you did release theese didnt you. Cookie

Offline Lurok91

• Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »
Plan at present is that if testers all ok with new screen/windows I'll start with new VRAY/window versions of Valkyrie, Venture and T9 as these all share common body.  I probably won't rewindow Janeway shuttle as it's more canon with closed windows but I might VRAY it.   Type 6 and 8 think are ok as is. 

Valk/Venture should still be on BCF:
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/ValkyrieVenture_Scout_cockpits;119476