Author Topic: The future of games?  (Read 323 times)

Offline Erk

• never forget the name... Enterprise
  • Cookies: 5
  • Enterprise: boldness or readiness in undertaking
The future of games?
« on: August 03, 2011, 06:18:19 PM »

This is apparently the future of graphics. It looks really cool! It will remove flat low polygon issues and replace them with essentially fully rendered models.

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
Re: The future of games?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 06:37:15 PM »
i heard of this when i was at ITT Tech, we got one of their first tech videos just before i dropped out.
intriguing progress to say the least, but this looks like it only applies to static objects and nothing animated (thus far)
it look fantastic, well done, and has unlimited application, buuut im wondering what kind of GPU and CPU power it would take just to convert the models, and render them out.
im looking forward to seeing this applied in the gaming industry in the next few years, but i seriously doubt were going to see it applied for maybe the next 2 to 3 years, AND be able to get hands on with it (like max and maya) for another 5 to 10. to top it off when this DOES become available for the hands on consumer, the price will probably be insane.  :idk:

im also trying to wrap my brain around how textures are converted to this as well, i can see how the geometry is done,
.....unless those "particles" each take up a independent color.  :hithead:
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »
It's a scam!

The guy who created minecraft wrote a blog post about it that can explain it better then me.
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8386977075/its-a-scam

And here he debunks some criticisms he's gotten about that post.
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8423008802/but-notch-its-not-a-scam

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »
If you look at Notch's calculations, it's almost undeniable proof that that video is not telling the truth.  500+ petabytes of information?  Yeah right.  I'd almost guess they're using hi-detail polygon models to falsely advertise themselves.  I was surprised to find out that they're an actual company.

Offline Erk

• never forget the name... Enterprise
  • Cookies: 5
  • Enterprise: boldness or readiness in undertaking
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 08:41:53 PM »
Aw man, I'm sorry guys, i got really excited and didn't do a lot of research on it. The only thing I really thought about was creating a Star Trek game. Imagine a hull breach where you can see every exposed deck.

But who's to say this won't happen in the future?

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 08:47:52 PM »
Oh I'm sure it will.  Just not anytime soon.  It's not so much a matter of figuring out how to compute it.  That's simple mathematics really, and there isn't a whole lot mathwise left to discover.  The issue is pretty much just hardware.  Until something like nanowiring or whatever roles around, good luck.

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 09:06:38 PM »
It's a scam!

The guy who created minecraft wrote a blog post about it that can explain it better then me.
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8386977075/its-a-scam

And here he debunks some criticisms he's gotten about that post.
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8423008802/but-notch-its-not-a-scam

well then i guess those tech freaks at my old school s*ah themselves when they found that out. but i wouldnt know, i dropped out 2 years ago. this is only the second time i heard of this.

but i was wondering why i couldnt wrap my brain around how something like that was possible. now i know  :hithead:
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15