Author Topic: BC & Dell XPS Laptop - Can't select a resolution beyond 1024x768 or adjust AA settings  (Read 1788 times)

Offline angryandorian

• Cookies: 5
  • Prepare for the future...
I got a dell XPS with a Nvidia GeForce 525m Card. Apparently it also has an integrated Intel HD card, but switches to the Nvidia card when playing games. However, Bridge Commander isn't detecting the Nvidia card, only the intel one. I can't select a resolution beyond 1024x768, nor I can I adjust AA settings. Editing the options.cfg doesn't work, neither does forcing the game to detect the nvidia card on the nvidia control panel work either.

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
the new kobayashi maru supports higher resolutions, other than that i have no clue as to how to achieve that. as for your graphics card issue, im at a loss for that.
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
maybe BC isnt detecting the NVidia because the NVidia is not programmed to run with games? dell sometimes use NVidia for graphics pre processing and not for actuall use.

Offline angryandorian

Yeah I know about KM Mod, but my problem is that the game won't recognize Nvidia. I think it might be what flarespite said, but I don't know of any way to get around this.

Offline Defiant

• Cookies: 1105
    • BC: Kobayashi Maru
With nvidia optimus you should be able to select the graphic card by right clicking on the executable.

Offline angryandorian

I know, I've tried it and it doesn't seem to be working.

Offline Defiant

That usually works.

Btw: Nvidia Optimus is using a whitelist to autodetect programs that are graphics intensive (Needs nvidia card).
BC, as many other programs is not on this list. Thats why you need to set the graphic card manually. Its as simple as that.

Oh and I expect current Intel Graphics on Sandy Bridge to be fast enough to run old BC on high resolution as fast as nvidia.

What is your native display resolution?

Uhm, does BC even have an AA setting?

Offline angryandorian

Well I tried adding the stbc.exe to the list. I tried selecting the Nvidia card option when right clicking on the exe. The game does not want to detect that card for anything! Is there another way?

Offline Defiant

How do you know that it does not work?

Offline angryandorian

Cause when I click on the Graphics options in the game the Intel HD Graphics card is listed but the Nvidia card isn't. Furthermore, in the Nvidia control panel, I have the option to force Anti-Aliasing on the game (Set to 8x). Yet in-game everything is still jagged.

Offline Defiant

Odd. I don't see any reason for this to fail.

You do have the latest driver version?
You should probably ask your Vendor.

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
Or defiant, the NVidia card he has has been set up for specific purposes only and one of the purposes it is not to do is games?

but still check out your drivers, may be a case of driver database missmatch.

Offline Defiant

Or defiant, the NVidia card he has has been set up for specific purposes only and one of the purposes it is not to do is games?
All nvidia graphic cards should be able to do that. Havn't heard of any that can not. (Talking about graphic cards, not Tesla etc)

But can't hurt to get the nvidia model used here.

Offline angryandorian

It is setup to do games. Fallout 3 detects it fine. So does Unreal Tournament 2004, Star Wars Empire at War, and Star Trek Armada Fleet Operations. I have the latest drivers installed.

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
you probably included whether you did this or not but did you install to a default directory or a custom one?

Offline angryandorian

I get get the same results with both.

Offline angryandorian

Is there a way to at least force anti-aliasing on an Intel Card?

Offline angryandorian

Offline Defiant

On Sandy Bridge Configurations you should be able to enable MSAA up to 4x in the control panel.