Author Topic: Star Wars on blu ray  (Read 5862 times)

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
Re: Star Wars on blu ray
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »
Wtf, they haven't remastered anything? No new graphics?

I was expecting that they cleaned the old rubbish and did a complete new cgi... Why should i buy it then..

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2011, 01:39:59 PM »

I was expecting that they cleaned the old rubbish and did a complete new cgi... Why should i buy it then..

If they did that, then I wouldn't even buy it at a bargain price.  Hell, if they did that, I wouldn't even take it as a gift.  The classic effects were fine.  All I'd want is for them to work on fixing the matte lines around the fighters.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2011, 03:46:04 PM »
Then you could watch the dvd's on a bluray upscaler.. 80 euros for something that is identical the same is just plain stupid.

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2011, 04:00:52 PM »
reading all of this i now have come to two realizations....
1. I SERIOUSLY doubt ill get this
2. after reading this, im GLAD shatner took a shot at lucas.
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
Then you could watch the dvd's on a bluray upscaler.. 80 euros for something that is identical the same is just plain stupid.
Sometimes visuals are not as important as sound, Bluray version has completely remastered audio. Personaly I would hate if they replace whole Battle for Endor with CGI scene, while I have nothing against CGI it would make the movie focus on the special effects rather than plot, just look how meaningful was the original saga, every scene had it's place and done it's job really well while in prequels there's almost no story ... just special effects, tons of CGI models, 99 % of movie rendered ... that's what killed prequels. Besides it's nice to look at those 'old rubbish' that were 'pinnacle of cinematography special effects' before most of us were born ;) and to be honest they still look damn impressive even compared to CGI

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2011, 05:15:19 PM »

^ Doesn't understand how important the original versions are in terms of cinematic history.  :(
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2011, 05:34:04 PM »
Its my opinion and i'm not the only one.

If i watch the space battle of revenge of the sith, i get blown off my socks.

I like the old movies more than the new ones but what does it matter if they upgrade the space battles? You have the old stuff on vhs or on dvd so that's great, why not make it special and do a complete upgrade on bluray.

You have to look on the web and see how much people are disappointed in this. I even read on multiple sites that more than 40% of pre-orders were cancelled because of this.

+

if you watch on secondhanded sites of multimedia, you can already see the bluray boxes been sold because people thought it would be visual remastered..

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2011, 06:33:04 PM »
People weren't disappointed because they didn't re-CG the space battles.  People were disappointed because Lucas has once again ruined film history.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2011, 08:51:20 PM »
People weren't disappointed because they didn't re-CG the space battles.  People were disappointed because Lucas has once again ruined film history.

This.

Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2011, 10:00:48 PM »
Just watched A New Hope on Blu-Ray.  Thank god for Blockbuster having it to rent.  God, there are pluses and minuses to this release.  On the pluses, the time between Greedo and Han shooting is almost negligible, the matte lines around the TIE fighters in the scene after the escape from the Death Star are much cleaner than the DVD release, and they removed that stupid grunt that Leia made after Luke grabbed her after Han ran after the stormtroopers that they added in the DVD release.  On the minuses, Obi-Wan's new krayt dragon yell is so damn stupid sounding, the Jabba scene STILL looks crappy, and the new rocks they put in front of Artoo when he's hiding from the Sand People is so fake looking it's painful.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2011, 06:56:17 AM »
After reading all of this, i went last night to a friend which had bought already the last three secondhanded on bluray.

I agree with everything that shadowknight said except for the leia part.

First of all, i wasn't impressed, we were even shocked for a moment when we heard the yell of obi wann. We all said "wtf". It was more like a handicap person that was trying to shout. Again the greedo part, the lightsabers were still crap and also the tips were just flat. Jaba also looked crap. THe end scene was even so sharp for a moment that we just started to see the plastic on r2d2 and c3po. We ended by saying "damn.."

We bought ourselves some food and watched the second movie and damn.. The choppyness of the at-at was still there, the fighters flying over the landscape was still like a tv were some bous are hanging toy ships in front of it. We didn't even completed the movie because everyone was disappointed.

How long did lucas did for this junk? Too long, and it even god worse. Buy yourself the damn dvd's or keep watching the old stuff, this new stuff is crap.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2011, 05:44:14 PM »
After reading all of this, i went last night to a friend which had bought already the last three secondhanded on bluray.

I agree with everything that shadowknight said except for the leia part.

First of all, i wasn't impressed, we were even shocked for a moment when we heard the yell of obi wann. We all said "wtf". It was more like a handicap person that was trying to shout. Again the greedo part, the lightsabers were still crap and also the tips were just flat. Jaba also looked crap. THe end scene was even so sharp for a moment that we just started to see the plastic on r2d2 and c3po. We ended by saying "damn.."

We bought ourselves some food and watched the second movie and damn.. The choppyness of the at-at was still there, the fighters flying over the landscape was still like a tv were some bous are hanging toy ships in front of it. We didn't even completed the movie because everyone was disappointed.

How long did lucas did for this junk? Too long, and it even god worse. Buy yourself the damn dvd's or keep watching the old stuff, this new stuff is crap.

First off, you LIKED the stupid added grunt that they gave Leia in A New Hope?

Secondly, of COURSE the walkers are choppy!  You go and build a four-legged robot in the same way and make it move smoothly.

Third, people like you that only want everything CGI are the reason movies have gone to hell.  Next thing we know, you'll be begging for them to redo the space battle between the Enterprise and the Reliant to make the Enterprise do barrel rolls.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2011, 06:30:07 PM »
Third, people like you that only want everything CGI are the reason movies have gone to hell.  Next thing we know, you'll be begging for them to redo the space battle between the Enterprise and the Reliant to make the Enterprise do barrel rolls.
Oh God... I hope they won't do that ... considering how much Nem failed in 'wanna-be-ST2-cool-CGI-battle-included'

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2011, 08:06:19 PM »
First off, you LIKED the stupid added grunt that they gave Leia in A New Hope?

Secondly, of COURSE the walkers are choppy!  You go and build a four-legged robot in the same way and make it move smoothly.

First off, i never saw her making the grunt or i ignored it. BUT i always loved the stormtrooper that bumps his head against the lowered door XD

Secondly, i ment the animation. Of course it needs to walk kinda stiff, but i ment the animation of the walker wasn't wow.

Third, mmmh wouldn't it be cool?

just kidding about that third part :D