Author Topic: Star Trek Into Darkness - Images, Videos, Discussion, etc  (Read 36911 times)

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
Re: Trek XII - Images, Videos, Discussion, ect... (WARNING: SPOILERS)
« Reply #940 on: January 25, 2014, 10:13:23 PM »
This is a thing

http://www.startrek.com/article/captain-jane-tiberia-kirk-takes-command

Well...if they ever met, Kirk could finally take the phrase "Go f**k yourself, Jim" literally.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #941 on: January 26, 2014, 01:58:33 PM »
To be fair, both would have been par-for-the-course for the Original Series.

Offline ShaunKL

• Cookies: 3
  • Semper Exploro
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #942 on: January 28, 2014, 11:49:11 PM »
To be fair, both would have been par-for-the-course for the Original Series.
  Oh my goodness that is the best idea for a TOS episode ever.  One of the fan series should get on that.  Right now.  Make it as cheesy as possible.

In other news, is there a good place that tracks the prop evolution from XI to ID?  I know there are certain things that are subtly different but it would be cool to see everything listed.
Thanks for letting me know the forum was back up, guys.  I thought everyone died.

Offline Captain Galaxy

• C.Galaxy Mapper
  • Cookies: 8
  • Shoot first ask questions later
« Reply #943 on: January 29, 2014, 04:05:09 AM »
The JJ Abrams side of the franchise is just messed up. He's departed leaving a partial mess to tidy up. The reboot dosen't bear any true connection to the true star trek and I would have prefered there not be a movie. But then again other people will say It has kinda made Star Trek Cool again, Yeahhh but in a cheesy way, too cheesey to accept. I mean for one the engine room on the enterprises looks like an oil refinery. How on earth will that become as iconic as the true enterprises engine rooms were.  The only one thing that appears physically from the prime universe is a model of the NX-01 on certain Starfleet Admirals desks in Into Darkness.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #944 on: January 29, 2014, 11:46:51 AM »
One can always point to the fact that some of the crappiest episodes of Star Trek are from the original series, including dozens of incredibly cheesy episodes, and say that that is what the alternate reality is a remake of.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #945 on: January 29, 2014, 12:40:29 PM »
The JJ Abrams side of the franchise is just messed up. He's departed leaving a partial mess to tidy up. The reboot dosen't bear any true connection to the true star trek and I would have prefered there not be a movie. But then again other people will say It has kinda made Star Trek Cool again, Yeahhh but in a cheesy way, too cheesey to accept. I mean for one the engine room on the enterprises looks like an oil refinery. How on earth will that become as iconic as the true enterprises engine rooms were.  The only one thing that appears physically from the prime universe is a model of the NX-01 on certain Starfleet Admirals desks in Into Darkness.

The USS Kelvin is also technically from the Prime Universe because it existed before Nero came back in time.

But I get what you're saying.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #946 on: January 29, 2014, 09:02:47 PM »

What is, in your opinion, "the true Star Trek?"  What is "cheesy?"  I recently went through the original series.  I'm sorry, but the idea that people seem to have that Trek was all philosophical is wrong.  Star Trek was action-y.  Gene himself pitched it as a "wagon train to the stars."  Star Trek didn't get into the heavy philosophy stuff until The Next Generation.  And the original series was FULL of "cheese."  Oh, and let's not forget the most important thing.  Gene Roddenberry may have wanted to get across some message, but any creator that sells his work to a network or studio does so for one major reason: MONEY.

I don't mean to come across as confrontational, but your post, to me, is dripping with the "A true Trek fan wouldn't like JJ Trek" sentiment that I've seen from "fans" since 2009.  I've seen it so many times that it really gets on my nerves.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #947 on: January 30, 2014, 08:46:43 AM »
I guess that is the point.
Star Trek started as Action-y /cheesy + (for the time) Utopian Society. TNG added some Philosophy to that -which got thrown away (most of it) again sometime during Voyager while growing an emphasis again on Action and Cheese. (I'm still not sure where or if to include ENT into this, even though I finally got around watching it -up to 3rd season start)

The nu/JJ -Trek (I must admit that I haven't seen "Into Darkness" yet) is just over the Top Actiony and cheesy with Plots that would also fit into a 45min Voy or ENT episode. It is no different in that than any of the new Comic-Hero Movies.
The new Trek is missing (e.g. via a TV show counterpart, like in "old" Trek) to showcase the other elemental part of "Star Trek" -which is a functioning Utopian Society (+ a bit of philosophy now and then).
By not incorporating that into their universe, it just feels "hollow" and stale (at least for me).

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #948 on: January 30, 2014, 02:35:35 PM »
(I'm still not sure where or if to include ENT into this, even though I finally got around watching it -up to 3rd season start)

I recommend you watch Season 4.

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #949 on: January 30, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »
I plan to watch it it entirely this time!
During its first run i lost interest mid season 2 and came back just soon enough to see "in a Mirror Darkly" onward - which were realy great Episodes (apart from the very last).

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #950 on: January 30, 2014, 07:39:17 PM »
I like to pretend the holo-program final episode wasn't historically accurate because it was 200 years in the future.

I prefer the Novel-verse version of events, the Holo-program was a cover up of history done by Section 31.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #951 on: January 30, 2014, 07:58:36 PM »
I guess that is the point.
Star Trek started as Action-y /cheesy + (for the time) Utopian Society. TNG added some Philosophy to that -which got thrown away (most of it) again sometime during Voyager while growing an emphasis again on Action and Cheese. (I'm still not sure where or if to include ENT into this, even though I finally got around watching it -up to 3rd season start)

The nu/JJ -Trek (I must admit that I haven't seen "Into Darkness" yet) is just over the Top Actiony and cheesy with Plots that would also fit into a 45min Voy or ENT episode. It is no different in that than any of the new Comic-Hero Movies.
The new Trek is missing (e.g. via a TV show counterpart, like in "old" Trek) to showcase the other elemental part of "Star Trek" -which is a functioning Utopian Society (+ a bit of philosophy now and then).
By not incorporating that into their universe, it just feels "hollow" and stale (at least for me).

I think that is a part of the problem with the nuTrek timeline.  With movies, we're getting, at MOST, a week or so of the crew's lives.  We're not getting to see them actually LIVING in their world.  We're seeing major events, yes, but nothing really "small".  Now, there are the comics, but not everyone is exposed to those.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Captain Galaxy

• C.Galaxy Mapper
  • Cookies: 8
  • Shoot first ask questions later
« Reply #952 on: January 30, 2014, 08:52:28 PM »
It will be intresting to see where the franchise goes from Star Trek Into Darkness. Now its pretty safe to say there will be a third movie when that will be and what that will be in shape of who nows, With JJ having left the scene what could the new trek become? under a new director.  Could be exciting who knows. A third movie and possible tv series after that would expand and add depth to the new JJ universe just like the "Prime Universe" Trek. I may not totally like the JJ trek but there are some good things about it, I know my coments previously have suggested a total dislike of the JJ Trek. Not true just certain aspects.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #953 on: January 30, 2014, 11:00:23 PM »
Ugh, thing is, CBS is completely uninterested in a new Trek series.  I don't get it, Trek is obviously big again.  Hell, people who don't like Trek have enjoyed these movies, so what is CBS thinking?

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
  • Cookies: 531
  • Welcome to the Dark Side
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #954 on: January 31, 2014, 01:05:13 AM »
I think it's a matter of risk. The lackluster performance of Clone Wars on network TV probably raises some concerns about the viability of an extended science fiction show in todays market....not too many on TV right now that are considered successful.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #955 on: January 31, 2014, 01:50:59 AM »
I think it's a matter of risk. The lackluster performance of Clone Wars on network TV probably raises some concerns about the viability of an extended science fiction show in todays market....not too many on TV right now that are considered successful.

...I didn't watch Clone Wars on TV cause I hate Cartoon Network.  Any show that they get that isn't their own original programming(which stinks already), they kill after one or two seasons, not letting them live up to their potential.  But Clone Wars lasted quite a while, and only went off the air because Disney bought Lucasfilm.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #956 on: January 31, 2014, 10:44:32 AM »

Clone Wars went on for 5 seasons on Cartoon Network, and is getting a '6th' Final season of 13 episodes sometime this year, they're airing in Germany in February

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Report_The_Clone_Wars_Season_Six_Episodes_To_Air_In_Germany_Next_Month_156222.asp

I really wouldn't call that 'lackluster'

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #957 on: February 01, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »
The Clone Wars may have started of as more of a kiddies show, but by the third series, it was getting dark and rather heavy. It was brilliant. Rebels should be ace.

I like the JJ Trek films, they're entertaining enough. STID loses it in the final act though. I just hope that the next director can hold a shot and have a camera man keep still long enough to see what's going on on-screen. I hate the bloody shaky-cam and zooms that have been used to death since BSG.

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #958 on: March 09, 2014, 05:44:42 PM »
Trek Core has done 2 articles on Deleted scenes from Into Darkness that were only on the Xbox Smartglass app

http://trekcore.com/blog/2014/02/exclusive-into-darkness-deleted-scenes-part-i/
http://trekcore.com/blog/2014/03/exclusive-into-darkness-deleted-scenes-part-ii/

The second part has an interesting image

a TOS style Connie. Also its Number is the same as that Android bridge officer and a Ship docked at the Starbase

Perhaps Marcus had something to do with the Connie Redesign?

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #959 on: March 09, 2014, 06:00:11 PM »
No, I believe that it is a study model that in the JJverse was never used, while in the prime universe it's the JJprise that was never used and remained a study model.
I miss :bigdance: