Author Topic: Ethernet over Power (AkA "dLAN")  (Read 380 times)

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
Ethernet over Power (AkA "dLAN")
« on: November 26, 2011, 04:31:19 PM »
As some of you may know, I got sick of a crappy wireless connection to my router (both speed and reliability) and bought a set of "Homeplugs" from my ISP.

One of these is connected to my router via a short ethernet cable, and is plugged into a power outlet. The other is also plugged into a power outlet, with another short ethernet cable connecting it and my PC.

For almost 6 months, they worked trouble free, but recently, every so often, my PC either loses connection to the internet (I.e. "Connected to #RouterName#, no Internet access"), to the entire network (I.e. "No Network Access") and even more recently has been giving me a message something along the lines of "Connected to Unidentified Network, No Internet Access"

Sometimes unplugging the Homeplugs, and switching which ethernet port is used on the Router, then plugging everything back in fixes it; and sometimes re-starting the Router is the only solution.

From this evidence, I've come to the conclusion that the Router may need replacing, is my assumption correct?
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
Re: Ethernet over Power (AkA "dLAN")
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 06:21:22 PM »
Is your computer the only one in the home?
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
Re: Ethernet over Power (AkA "dLAN")
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 07:36:33 PM »
No, but it has been the only one turned on when this issue occurs, so its not IP conflicts.

For example, today, parents out, I'm the only one in the house and my PC is the only one on. Just randomly loses the connection. It COULD be the Homeplugs, and I'll test that out by trying to find a 20 metre ethernet cable.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?