Author Topic: Mobile Phone Sending My Laptop to Sleep  (Read 570 times)

Offline The Stig

• Cookies: 4
Mobile Phone Sending My Laptop to Sleep
« on: January 06, 2012, 07:24:08 PM »
Hi there,

I thought I would report this rather strange phenomenon which I just noticed. I was playing round with my mobile phone while sitting at my computer and momentarily put the phone down on top of my laptop on the bottom left hand corner, above the PCMCIA slot. The moment the phone touched the computer, the screen went blank. I thought it had just happened to crash at that particular moment, but it turned out that the computer had simply gone to sleep mode. I tested doing the same again a few time. Putting the phone in that particular spot just sends it to sleep. Heh, it is like a Vulcan never pinch for a laptop. :p This isn't a problem as such, but I was just wondering if something like this has ever happened to anyone else, or better still some wise sole might even know what is going on.

Cheers

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
Re: Mobile Phone Sending My Laptop to Sleep
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 08:03:48 PM »
There is a little magnet switch where you put the phone... that's how your laptop knows when the screen is closed and to go to sleep.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline The Stig

• Cookies: 4
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 08:59:03 PM »
Ah of course, it is so obvious. Feel like a right idiot now. :hithead:

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:19:02 PM »
There is a little magnet switch where you put the phone... that's how your laptop knows when the screen is closed and to go to sleep.

yea, actually any MINOR fridge magnet would have triggered that.  :funny
for some reason the newer ones use mag connects... i miss the days of physical switches....
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15