Author Topic: Two questions  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Of The Azure Star

• Cookies: 0
Two questions
« on: February 25, 2007, 02:44:03 PM »
Just curious...

(Questions 1.)
Does BC support model animations? (Such as moving limbs, digits, weapon recoils, ect)
Does it support Animated Ship/RCS flares/Engine exhaust textures/translucency?
Just how big a gun can it support?
Is there a way to enable the use of a PC/360 Joypad?  Or is it Sticks only?

(Questions 2.)
I was trying to convert a model (The Osiris model that Kreeargh made for me) into BC, I used milkshape, and have all the plugins.  There wasn't any noticeable polygon distortion like the readme warned me of, and I can view the .nif model in the BC SDK.  But there are several textures missing.

At first I thought I had missed something, so I re-converted the .mod, going over everything with a fine-toothed comb, twice.  Every other texture is perfect and identical to the .mod, but there's always the exact same one's missing, what am I doing wrong?  Is it me or milkshape?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Two questions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 02:47:35 PM »
BC only supports animations in characters and bridge models.
So no ships.

There is a way around it, and it *could* be adapted for weapon recoils. Look up the Ultimate Intrepid thread, and find the post with the video, it has an "animated" model in it.

For your second question, BC only supports tga textures, and if I remember correctly, MOD files usually (or maybe even only) are bmp files. BC won't be able to use them.
You will need a program like Photoshop or Infranview to convert the bmps to tga, and then reapply them in Milkshape.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Chronocidal Guy

• Cookies: 296
  • Obsessive detailing is just what I do.
Re: Two questions
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 04:20:57 PM »
There are ways to get textures to be transparent and animated, but they're complicated, and I'm not sure it can be done with milkshape at all.  Gun size is all up to what's required by the ship, I don't know if any limits have been hit.

The control scheme is pretty much mouse and keyboard only though.  You can probably setup a gamepad to work, but the interface is much simpler with a mouse, and the steering commands are not meant for a joystick type input- you press a key to go right, left, up, down, and roll.  There's no range of motion, like you would get with a stick, you just do a maximum turn when you press the key.  You could probably set it up to steer with the 8-way digital pad on a gamepad without too much trouble, but any kind of control axis input just isn't supported, unless you know how to program it in yourself.