Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Of The Azure Star

• Cookies: 0
A few questions
« on: February 25, 2007, 02:51:40 PM »
Since all the cool stuff for BC seems to be coming out of here, I figured this was the place to ask.
Okay, here we go:

(Questions.)
How small can a bridge be?  Is it possible to simply have readouts and controls rather than crewmembers?
How large can a bridge be (practically)?  Is it possible to have a viewing wall like the ones seen aboard the Woglinde and Elsa in Xenosaga Ep1?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 04:31:25 PM »
How small can a bridge be?  Is it possible to simply have readouts and controls rather than crewmembers?
You mean just viewscreen and then menu's?

Not directly possible. But there is a first person view mod on either BCU or BCFiles.

How large can a bridge be (practically)?  Is it possible to have a viewing wall like the ones seen aboard the Woglinde and Elsa in Xenosaga Ep1?
I don't own game consoles, so I haven't played any of those games. But a viewscreen needs to be flat. Totally flat. We could potentially make it bigger. But it won't look as good.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1566
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 05:37:22 PM »
The VS don't need to be exactly Flat, but if it's not flat, well, there are issues.. Mleo, you should go pretty closer the Gen gal one ;)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 05:43:09 PM »
Mleo, you should go pretty closer the Gen gal one ;)
So far with all the bridges I've tried it ends up rather blocky and perspective issue's. I take it this isn't the case here?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1566
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 07:06:44 PM »
So far with all the bridges I've tried it ends up rather blocky and perspective issue's. I take it this isn't the case here?

Perspective issues, but only if you stand about 10 cm from it and look to the edges.

Offline Of The Azure Star

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 09:39:41 PM »
What about a cube-shaped screen, with hovering textures circling the open area of the bridge a ways,
to give the illusion of a large, curved viewing surface?

Attached are pictures of the Woglinde bridge from Xenosaga.  As you can see in the first pic, the bridge is essentially just one big tube.  Initially it seems to be one big open window, but a scene where a vessel with a similar cockpit is docked and undergoing repairs shows that it is a holographic projected image, just like a viewing screen. 

Two pics of the Woglinde (all I could find on google), and my idea below.