Author Topic: Ultimate Bridge Crew  (Read 464 times)

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
Ultimate Bridge Crew
« on: January 27, 2012, 02:47:06 AM »
I apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered, but I'm curious as to what we, as avid Trek fans, would consider the perfect crew for a bridge.  Not individual characters already established, but species-specific persons that would be available to 24th century Federation ships.  Chief Engineer would also be part of this, even though they aren't on the bridge, per se.  You, yourself, are the captain, and go from there.  I'll post mine once a few others chime in.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
Re: Ultimate Bridge Crew
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 03:58:00 AM »
Species-based only, I'm going to give my "next Enterprise" crew.  Idea is for a well-rounded crew not restricted to a TV production budget (i.e. human or very human-looking) that promotes and exhibits the racial diversity that the Federation is all for.  This diversity is intended to avoid racial stereotypes as well (i.e. aggressive Klingon tactical officer, intelligent Vulcan science officer, etc.)

---

Captain - being me, is of course a Human

Commander - a still familiar race, but can be alien.  Ideally not a sexy character, per se (as XO's are pretty much the boss if you will.)  Possibly Human, Betazoid, Bajoran, Andorian, Klingon, Cardassian, Orion, Vulcan, but for me, I'd pick an alien with at least a different color of skin, so either Andorian or Orion.

Helmsman - a young officer, initially brash possibly, but matures into what hopefully will be a capable command officer.  For me, a Bajoran, as they are still familiar.

Operations officer - a brainy character, ideally young or middle-aged, can be any race.  For me, a Cardassian as it breaks a racial stereotype propagated by ST:DS9.  Plenty of opportunity to explore non-traditional cross-race friendships and romances with other junior officers.

Tactical officer - to promote the idea of peace versus conflict prominent of much of Star Trek, the tactical officer should be conflicted as well.  What better than another Human to relate with?  And better yet, a somewhat fiery female, definitely not the stay-in-the-kitchen type.

Engineering officer - a character, who though intelligent, occasionally is duped by what he is working with, but can use it as an opportunity to excel.  A distinctly alien creature who somehow in the end feels to us like a Human and deals with issues just like us would work well here.  Examples would be a Saurian, Benzite, Ferengi, Gorn, or Xindi.  I would pick a Ferengi who, like Rom or Nog, isn't obsessed with profit.

Medical officer - a telepathic race would allow for a myriad of storytelling options.  They could triple as a doctor, counselor, and psychiatrist.  A Vulcan or Betazoid would be excellent.

(optional) Security officer - same casting reasoning as the Tactical officer.

(optional) Science officer - same casting reasoning as the Operations officer, but since they'll have less to do in less sci-fi focused situations, give them a personal stake in matters.  Perhaps a family onboard.

(optional) Communications officer - would have to be sufficiently intelligent so they don't have to rely on universal translators.  A telepathic race would do well in this role, and they could also double as an advisor.  Like the Medical officer, I'd cast them as a Vulcan or Betazoid.

---

All three optional roles depend on the era, since all of the three have either been phased out or integrated into other roles at various times in the Trek universe.