Author Topic: Aeries' SSV Kitsilano (UPDATE Apr.11/2012)  (Read 2516 times)

Offline TheConstable6

• ^LOL
  • Cookies: 10
Re: Aeries' SSV Kitsilano (UPDATE Apr.6/2012)
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 10:05:33 PM »
How about Vanguard? Such a BA name and pretty ME-sounding IMO
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
 We are not now that strength which in old days
 Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
 One equal temper of heroic hearts,
 Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
 To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
Re: Aeries' SSV Kitsilano (UPDATE Apr.6/2012)
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
Thanks, I do appreciate the suggestions. For the record though (for anyone posting in the future), I have a list the length of my torso full of possible names already. :P

Edit: Big update either late tonight or tomorrow.

Offline Aeries

Re: Aeries' SSV Kitsilano (UPDATE Apr.9/2012)
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 08:28:38 PM »
Okay, I lied, KIND OF a big update. But not really.

First, I compared the Normandy SR1 and SR2 to the Kitsilano SR3 and rendered a shot to show the overall design evolution from oldest to newest, and also to demonstrate the size difference (SR1 and SR2 by Bones); I'm fairly certain Bones got the size of the SR1 and 2 correct, so I'm using them both as reference.

Now for the updates. Mostly hull panelling and specular have been adjusted. I'm going to add more black areas to the hull paint later on after class; having compared her to the older ships, I think I drifted away from "canon" with my paint scheme. I'm also going to get rid of the modelled windows and texture in some nicer SR2-ish ones; what I currently have are... less than meeting my expectations -- Much less.

Any constructive crit from the experienced texture artists here? I've only been seriously mapping and texturing my stuff for the past couple months, so I'd appreciate any pointers.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 08:38:43 PM »
I think the windows are fine, could use some black detailing in places though.  I'm no expert though.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline TheConstable6

• ^LOL
  • Cookies: 10
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 10:02:15 PM »
I agree. More black detailing probably. The nose spikes would look sweet in black/yellow striping. That being said, I really like the grey detailing near the end of the engine pylons. Really blends well.  :thumbsup: Also just noticed those yellow triangles. Like them as well.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
 We are not now that strength which in old days
 Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
 One equal temper of heroic hearts,
 Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
 To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 02:58:35 AM »
If i were you, i would make some panels only slightly darker than the rest of the ship + make the hull dark grey / black just under the first row of windows down to the bottom, it would look like Cerberus SR-2 or you could make a kind of black spine on the dorsal side (black colored stripe running from cockpit to aft of the ship.

Oh and about size i've set SR-2 to about 330 meters (i think i've followed the wiki for this info) and SR-1 to be half the size (I guess they said it to be 150 -160 somewhere. So they should be scaled accurately.

There, I've threw toghether ideas I had about a little bit of contrast on your ship and put em on to your render ;)

take a look

Offline Aeries

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 10:34:03 AM »
So they should be scaled accurately.

Awesome, so I should be relatively safe, then. :]

There, I've threw toghether ideas I had about a little bit of contrast on your ship and put em on to your render ;)

That actually looks a LOT nicer than I anticipated... I'll look into implementing that after class this morning. Thanks!

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 01:29:26 PM »
To be honest, i think the sr-1 was more like 120 meters and the sr-2 like 235 meters..(joker standing outside of the ship when he shot off some reapers, showed that the ship wasn't that big too).

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 02:35:24 PM »
It's a common issue with ships size these days... the scene where Joker stands in the airlock shooting collectors shows us that the cockpit is only one deck while we can clearly see few dozen meters to the middle of the ship that there are two rows of windows and this part of the ship is supposed to store 3 decks (loft - cpt. quarter, CIC and crew deck) ... I remember someone compared Joker standing there to the windows and it turned out that he would be as big as both rows of the windows :P

Not to mention that interior of both SR-1 and 2 would never fit into the hull ... not to mention ME3 SR-2 (similiar situation occurs in Halo - Pillar of Autumn outer hull trench run down to the hangar bay - 1 km long ship suddenly turns to be about 5 km long  :funny )

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 03:37:05 PM »
Yeah its messed up these days.. When i remembered him standing there, the ship was more shuttle style big.

Also when the sr-1 docked and you were able to walk, the ship wasn't really big, almost 60 - 90 meters max!

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »
Not to mention, high detail doors of SR-1 that were not present on actual model :P and yep, the ship was way smaller on  the outside ...

Offline sovereign001

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 04:54:51 PM »
I even did when i was a "bit" drunk with a mate some schematic stuff, so we walked next to the ship and we said, yeah know we are going from the cockpit to that galaxy mission center, ... and before we knew it, we were already walking against a wall.. The height especially..

Offline Aeries

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 08:23:34 PM »
Well, despite the obvious scaling issues on Bioware's part (they're clearly not accustomed to the OCD present in the majority of the hard core 'Trek fans. :P) I've rolled out another update...

here she is with the updated paint job. There are a few spots I still need to fix, but overall I'm relatively happy. After class, I'll be removing the crap cockpit windows as well and replacing them with something a little more... cool.

Offline Shadowknight1

Re: Aeries' SSV Kitsilano (UPDATE Apr.11/2012)
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 10:51:03 PM »
Looks good, though I'm definitely seeing a few spots that look a bit bare.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 01:30:01 AM »
Looking great, I love it !

You might wanna check SR-2 windows and adpt similiar style, would look ace on her

Offline Aeries

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 01:21:26 PM »
You might wanna check SR-2 windows and adpt similiar style, would look ace on her

You mean the shape? Colour? "Fake interior view" look? Define "style" for me and I'll look into it. :P

Looks good, though I'm definitely seeing a few spots that look a bit bare.

Like around the name, and just below that on the outer part of the engine? I haven't touched those areas much, yet. It's on my list-as-long-as-my-arm. :P

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »
SR-2 windows are divided into two main windows and few smaller around them also they seem to be completely black, most likely to avoid fake feeling to it, smaller windows are not all-rectangular in shape.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 11:25:25 PM »
SR-2 windows are divided into two main windows and few smaller around them also they seem to be completely black, most likely to avoid fake feeling to it, smaller windows are not all-rectangular in shape.

Referring to the cockpit windows, I take it?

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Saquist

• Cookies: 24
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2012, 01:06:07 AM »
All of the windows.
It doesn't look right like that.

Offline Aeries

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2012, 01:56:37 AM »
All of the windows.
It doesn't look right like that.

YOU don't look right like that.  :dontcare:  :P

Nah, you're right.

Referring to the cockpit windows, I take it?

He means the hull windows. The cockpit windows are getting reworked as well, though; it's just a matter of when I can get the time to do it. X__x College has robbed me of all my sleep already!