Author Topic: Background Pack  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
Background Pack
« on: April 19, 2012, 02:19:11 PM »
If you've been looking in the BC Screenshots thread Moed and I are banding together to get some new backgrouds out. In a way this is to convience people who just want some good looking space backgrouds without the need to fiddle around in Photoshop and trawling the internet to look for them. Expect some Images soon.  :D

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
Re: Background Pack
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
I have a couple super hi-res ones I shopped.  I removed stars and made them transparent.

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »
Send them either mine or Moed's way and well take a look.  :)

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:17:09 PM »
it is generally better to begin a thread in this forum with the first bit of work already having begun...

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 03:36:20 PM »
Great idea to remove the stars - telescope images with diffraction spikes are very obvious when they're statically plastered across the background. It got me thinking, though... May I make a suggestion or two? Stop me if this has already occurred to you...

In a lot of these background packs, the darkspots in nebulae are just translated to transparent in the alpha channel. In reality, a lot of the time, those dark spots are clouds of dust or gas which is not illuminated. It still occludes the background stars.
So my suggestion is to tamper with the alpha maps to make such dark spots opaque. It would add a lot of depth and reality to the illusion.

Another suggestion is to sprinkle a few stars that match the starfield (ie, dots without diffraction spikes) onto the nebula texture as foreground stars - as most nebulae are far enough away to have stars in between the viewer and the nebula. Obviously, nebulae in BC tend to be big splashes of colour in a map, indicating relative closeness, but there would still be a smattering of stars visible through, in, or in front of the nebula.

The final suggestion is no galaxies! At least, no big ones. They may be pretty, but if there was a big galaxy visible in the sky, I think we'd notice it. the Large and Small Magellanic clouds are fine, as is a dinky Andromeda, but beyond them, one would need a telescope to see a proper galaxy from anywhere in the Milky Way - unless there's one lurking on the other side of the core - which in any case, wouldn't be visible from much of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:42:55 PM »
it is generally better to begin a thread in this forum with the first bit of work already having begun...

They all ready have been some have been converted to TGA's but some need a bit of clean up. I'l have pictures up soon.  :)

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 04:03:08 PM »
you post about 2-5 pictures per day :P I guess I can recognize those new nebulaes ;)

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 04:41:45 PM »

As Kill was alluding to, some of them are, for all intents and purposes, "already up" on the screenshot page. We're using some of them as backgrounds to some of our pics.

But, yes, you all will see some samples soon. I'm in the middle of a bit of real life right now so stay tuned!

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 05:03:05 PM »
Here we go.  :)

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 05:05:22 PM »
 :dance

Offline moed

• Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 05:25:21 PM »
Great idea to remove the stars - telescope images with diffraction spikes are very obvious when they're statically plastered across the background. It got me thinking, though... May I make a suggestion or two? Stop me if this has already occurred to you...

In a lot of these background packs, the darkspots in nebulae are just translated to transparent in the alpha channel. In reality, a lot of the time, those dark spots are clouds of dust or gas which is not illuminated. It still occludes the background stars.
So my suggestion is to tamper with the alpha maps to make such dark spots opaque. It would add a lot of depth and reality to the illusion.

Another suggestion is to sprinkle a few stars that match the starfield (ie, dots without diffraction spikes) onto the nebula texture as foreground stars - as most nebulae are far enough away to have stars in between the viewer and the nebula. Obviously, nebulae in BC tend to be big splashes of colour in a map, indicating relative closeness, but there would still be a smattering of stars visible through, in, or in front of the nebula.

The final suggestion is no galaxies! At least, no big ones. They may be pretty, but if there was a big galaxy visible in the sky, I think we'd notice it. the Large and Small Magellanic clouds are fine, as is a dinky Andromeda, but beyond them, one would need a telescope to see a proper galaxy from anywhere in the Milky Way - unless there's one lurking on the other side of the core - which in any case, wouldn't be visible from much of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.

To address some of your questions:

- We do have some nebula's that contain either no stars or are the pinpoints that you talked about. On the other hand, other nebula's we have - DO have the diffraction spiked stars... why, well because our aim here is not to completely embrace total reality but to have attractive backgrounds. In some cases, I think the "spiky" stars add a bit of "cool factor" to the nebula's. We by no means are "over-doing" it with spiky star nebula's, but you will definitely see some.

- Some of the nebula's we have do have some "dark" spots that partially occlude the background. But, not completely, especially towards the edges of the images. Why, because I did some experimenting and tried what you suggested in the past... I too thought about it and wanted some more "reality and depth" in my backgrounds. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out how I pictured it in my mind. Due to some of the limitations of the BC engine, it made the nebula's look too, for lack of a better way of putting it, "flat". It took some of the "3d" out of the 3d aspect of the game. So, we've decided to balance this effect as much as possible. Bottom line, it just gives the nebula's, and entire scene for that matter, truly more depth IMO. Is it realistic, no, but hey, we all know this game is just that; a game, and once again, it's all about trade-offs and balance.

- Finally, I do agree with you that having large galaxy images in the game is a bit too far fetched but... who's not to say that a ship encountered a spatial anomaly that may have transported it instantaneously to a semi starless void between galaxies millions of light years from our own? I say "semi" because maybe dark matter/energy accumulated, through enormous gravity wells, a surprising amount of matter/stars in the rifts between the great mass of stars in galaxies.  :dance  How's that for an explanation  :P  Here's the thing, we will include galaxies if they're once again, cool looking. You can choose to not add them to your own personal install and pick whatever other images you like.    

Offline moed

• Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 05:28:14 PM »
This will be my last post until tonight... real life again  :facepalm:

Cookie for Kill for the awesome shots showing off some of our nebula backgrounds.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 05:36:51 PM »
I suppose it is possible to save a set in which you're taking pics as a whole new system right ? or is there an exernal editor to create new systems ? my point is that you could make a pack of systems with all the fancy stuff you got on your pics like nebulae, lighting (ambient and directional) suns, planets etc. ... would be awesome :D

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 05:52:54 PM »
I suppose it is possible to save a set in which you're taking pics as a whole new system right ? or is there an exernal editor to create new systems ? my point is that you could make a pack of systems with all the fancy stuff you got on your pics like nebulae, lighting (ambient and directional) suns, planets etc. ... would be awesome :D
My thots excatly, Great Minds work alike :D,   make a good sight-seeing tour  :funny
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »
I have no idea how to make new systems at all, if someone was to teach me I could give it a go.  :) At the moment its just focusing on backgrounds.  :)

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »
Thanks for the reply, guys! Looking forward to the pack! :D
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 11:49:47 AM »
Another one.  :)

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 01:26:41 PM »
Kill, you were asking about 'system making' Suggestion dwnlod one we at SFRD made up [their fairly simple] BTW-love the Background
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline moed

• Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 06:35:31 PM »
The pack will be coming soon. Just finishing up a few details.

Stay tuned!

Offline moed

• Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 12:57:32 AM »
Background pack submitted to BCFiles.

Awaiting approvals.