Author Topic: KCS n Hobbs WIPs  (Read 1638 times)

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
KCS n Hobbs WIPs
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:36:02 AM »
I've been co-oping with Hobbs a lot lately.  he had a little fun with my kitbashes, and re-bashed them.  I think between the two of us, we could actually get an original or semi-original ship out!

Hobbs had some fun with my original kitbash, giving it a true saucer.  I've done some rearanging on this myself

he created a new cove back end

anybody want a TOS Cheyenne?

kitbashed from my kitbash :P

now, to figure out how to UV these properly...
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
Re: KCS n Hobbs WIPs
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:22:07 AM »
Like where the first one is going but not keen on the dorsal warp pylons. Also where is the impulse deck?

And one note of advice before you get bogged down in unwraping it is get the mesh smoothed out.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 10:31:49 AM »
the dade bash is in desperate need of smoothing, yes, but I gotta do this with Gmax, not regular max (thos, why there's no renders).  I've done some further editing to the dade bash, pulling out the new section and impulse deck (where the shuttle bay would be)  it looks like an old 12 sided oil filter :P

if you mean the TOS Cheyenne, it has my deck off the concours with new impulse grates in it.

cheyenne and Concours 2 (the bottom one) are kibashed off my Concours with added and subtracted bits.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline starship

• Cookies: 6
    • Brasil Starships
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 07:55:13 AM »
Interesting designs, especially the last one, which gave me ideas for a new ship.
Therefore, I think the pylons are to much "thin". I?m also unsure about the point of connection of them with the neck, for the first ship. ;)

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 12:45:25 PM »
wow, someone besides Baz that gave an opinion!

the thickness of the pylons top to bottom or front to back?

okay with the Testor (which will be it's official name, now), they're tacked onto the neck.  I did some stretching for a wrap-aroud effect. should I thicken the pylons up a bit, there?
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 01:24:53 PM »
It all looks good, yes since it is Tos, I [mo] thicken up the pylons.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline starship

• Cookies: 6
    • Brasil Starships
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »
...the thickness of the pylons top to bottom or front to back?

okay with the Testor (which will be it's official name, now), they're tacked onto the neck.  I did some stretching for a wrap-aroud effect. should I thicken the pylons up a bit, there?

For the Testor, from top to bottom. For the Cheyenne, top to bottom and front to back too. ;)
About the neck?s connection, maybe adding a ring could make it better. Just crossing by is a bit strange. ;)

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 03:15:58 PM »
extended Testor with a temp texture set on it

front angle shot
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 04:56:14 PM »
*deleted*

these wips were never meant to be intended as an effort to split off from SFRD.  I was even contemplating offering them up AS SFRD potential. I'm proud I had a hand in these and was proud to find someone that considered my kitbashes good enough to RE kitbash.

I wanted to contribute something before BC modding fades away entirely, as it's likely to do so.

I've been here three years now, I have 6 "mods" to my name, but nothing yet original, and I wanted to leave something behind

I'm sorry everything was misinterpreted.

thanks to a gigantic behind the scenes argument, I may just walk away and leave everything in more capable people's hands.

you people have been good to me, and even let me play a bit, but now I think it's my turn to move on as well, because there's no room or place for a self-taught noob around here.  I've gone through this before, twice, with two other fandoms, and for the same reson.  I'm tired of being called an utter noob at everything at forty, even when I've had professional training.

good luck, everybody...
from the self taught noob with the girl's name from a crappy FOX itcom that came from a trailer and no money from the backwoods of Pennsyltucky (and a damn hot boyfreind)
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Adonis

• Ze Meister xP
  • Cookies: 84
  • Da Death Squad ???
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 01:08:16 AM »
I've gone through this before, twice, with two other fandoms, and for the same reson.  I'm tired of being called an utter noob at everything at forty, even when I've had professional training.

...just sayin': quitting is easy, listening is hard...
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline baz1701

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 04:15:40 AM »
 :yeahthat:

Don't quit because we have left to set up on our own.

There is only one problem with your modelling skills and that is you are trying to run before you can walk. I hope I have encouraged you over the years to try things and helped you learn. I'm a self taught noob to remember just like most of us. It took me nearly 2 years to build a ship I was truely happy with. Your other problem is focus, your trying to do to many ships at once.

Try something simple to start with like a shuttle. A box with two cylinders.

As for this game in it's death throws I totally disagree.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 04:53:22 AM »
Totally agree with the part about trying to run before you can walk. Things don't work that way, and neither should you. My best suggestion is to keep twiddling away at your current model, improve it as best as can be, or even re-build it from scratch. You learn more from doing it over and over. You'll find that people appreciate a "quality model" over quantity.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 06:23:46 PM »
people will have to deal with Originals for now.  and Testor was sitting around for YEARS (your still getting tweak credit, Baz)

this is where we're starting.

wish us luck
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 10:21:33 AM »
the TOSes are on hold at the moment.  Hobbs is working on one of his own ships.  wether or not this would be fore SFRD remnants  or his own is up to him.

however, I'm going to assume SFRD is officially dead as a doornail, and edit things appropriatly.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »
SFRD is still going as far as i'm concerned... and my current WIP may be a SFRD haven't decided if its good enough.

just to reiterate:

SFRD still lives

KCS chat to me about the tos's whats needed etc
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 08:32:45 PM »
now that everything's cleared up...

I took guys suggestions and tweaked.  still can't get the rim too smoothed, though

OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 10:49:08 PM »
Definitely getting better!

I think the phasers are too big for the saucer though.

Offline baz1701

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 02:09:25 AM »
See if you have any unwelded verts on the saucer rim. In poly mode select all the rim verts and the hit weld. This may solve your problem.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 03:00:52 AM »
Interesting design

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 07:20:16 AM »
I was gonna add a couple more phaser points, but couldn't figure out the diameter Hobbs used (he's getting some UV and texture Practice in atm)the pylons have been widened front to back and top to bottom, as suggested earlier.  I also reseated the nacelles a bit. 

the pylon supports and mounts and the bridge module have been smoothed out.  the tac-on torp launchers didn't look right either smoothed up (the torp ports disappear) or tapered in any, so I left those alone

the only thing I don't know what to do with is the bottom sensor dome.  see below

meanwhile, Hobbs threw another one together

you can see in the top one the trouble I'm having with the bottom sensor dome.  it doesn't change at all with the main smoothing, and subsurfacing murders it a little TOO much.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read