Author Topic: Truly impressed you guys are still here  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Bat66wat6

• Cookies: 34
  • Running custom BC 1.1
Truly impressed you guys are still here
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:40:57 PM »
I know there's an abundance of discussions on the life of the forum so i'd held back on making yet another thread on it but honestly, i'm amazed! Seriously amazed  :eek Before now, the last time I visited this site was just less than a year ago in this thread http://bc-central.net/forums/index.php/topic,8750.80.html with my last posts time stamp being 12 October 2011. October 20 freakin' 11 and I come here in July 2012 and it's still alive!

I come back after 10 entire months expecting the URL to be unregistered or at least an electronic ghost town but find Today post dates from the like of USS Sovereign and Defiant. I make a thread and get a reply from one (or both) of them within one single day!

Seriously, i've been on quite a few gaming sites that run sections for old games (C&C and the like) and they run for a long time but die within a couple of years; maybe five at max. In my experience the death of the site is preceded by the abscence of some knowledgable gurus that everyone looks to for answers and so are well known (respected) figures but here, even after all this time, the likes of Sovereign and Defiant still, seem to, check the site daily or every other day.

Then there's JimmyB76 and Nebula and all the other names that posted back in 2011 still here. Incredible! This games extremely moddable but damn! A 10 year old game with, compared to what todays game software is capable of, an incredibly old engine.

It's like this site can't die. It's invincible. VR gaming and neural interfaces could take off into the mainstream and still this site would live. BC until the end of days!

:salute3:  :muahaha:  :salute3:
Great men are not peacemakers! Great men are conquerors!

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
Re: Truly impressed you guys are still here
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »
Quite frankly, we got REALLY great people around, besides it is a great game, without our people BC would not have lasted.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 10:48:17 AM »
:P I've been around since the start, since BCU was BCN and that was in early 2002. XD
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:53:55 AM »
:P I've been around since the start, since BCU was BCN and that was in early 2002. XD

Bragger :P

I have to agree with Tiq.  It's because we have a great community that is the reason we've been here for so long :)
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:26:57 PM »
yep same lol
i've been on this scene like every day for 10 years, and we're not the only ones still lurking around since those oldschool days :)
we've been rocking it since and no end in sight so far :)

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 03:23:13 PM »
I've not been around quite as much. But almost.

I vividly remember the days of BCU, but i'm not entirely sure I was around in the BCN days. I got hooked on Bridge Commander in 2003, after learning of the "MPMP" mod. Been friends with Darkshimmer and his gang ever since :)
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Bat66wat6

• Running custom BC 1.1
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 03:26:36 PM »
Quite frankly, we got REALLY great people around, besides it is a great game, without our people BC would not have lasted.
Well, no sh**! Here on this site there are real programmers (Defiant/Sovereign) as well as those with the artistics flare to create ingame content like models and textures.

It's really hard not to be impressed even with the games massive customizability factored in. Right now i'm really into this game again because of its customisability but there's no doubt i'll mod and play the game then get bored or simply drift onto something else. You guys though, damn you are dedicated! All this time i've been out doing other stuff you've remained here.

Such is the dedication and diversity of people involved in this game that i'm now beginning to think that the reason things have died down is not so much because of the games age but instead because you've all been going at the game for so long everything that can be done has been done.

Everytime a user posts up a 'new mod idea' or 'can this be done' the response is a link to BC files or a file taken from someones personal install. Hell, way back in 2011 when I asked about Secondary shield generators I thought my idea was fresh but even that had been done and was part of KM. Okay, the way the idea had been implemented differed from my idea but still... it was something I thought nobody would have bothered with but there it was: "How about doing X?", "Already done, here's X".

Such is the range of things covered I genuinely believe that as a community the limit of what can be done in BC without invading the compiled "forbidden" areas has been reached. Pretty much the only things that havn't been done in the game are because they can't be done or because the resources required to do it outstrip that of the fragmented community. Yup, pretty much the only thing I havn't seen is a new campaign and even then i've been told attempts have been made  :)

:salute3: Bridge Commander :salute3:

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 04:46:45 PM »
youve already proven yourself to be very well skilled with scripting - i do hope youll hang around for a while and whip up some really cool scripts for the game for us all :)

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 06:09:08 PM »
youve already proven yourself to be very well skilled with scripting - i do hope youll hang around for a while and whip up some really cool scripts for the game for us all :)

Amen to that Jimmy

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »
not only that, but those of us who have been on this scene for so long, we've built kinda like a "family"...  we all have, even newcomers...  this is our silly crazy family we have lol :)
and we are always here for each other and prolly the most tightest community of any (trek) forum...
weve all grown old together and we all have alot of awesome memories back to BCU when BC modding days was in its prime...  how i wish the current people here could have been there in those days (well some of them were actually lol) - it was barely possible just to keep up with posts from BCU in those days, the modding section and the general section (including the Spam Forum lol)
i cant let it go, i wont...  this will go on as long as possible...
at least until Excalbur is out, and then well all migrate there lol  us all, and many other people from other trek gaming communites - we'll all congeal and it will be a whole new community and a whole new thing!
and lemme tell ya - i know fully THAT scene will be more popular and explosive and THAT modding scene will be ten thousand times more active and awesome than BC ever was in its prime...  
i cant wait!!!    :dance :yay: :thumbsup:

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 06:47:13 PM »
not only that, but those of us who have been on this scene for so long, we've built kinda like a "family"...  we all have, even newcomers...  this is our silly crazy family we have lol :)

Best NET family I had so far :)  and cuz we're all crazy loonatic trekkies it's so much fun :D

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 06:53:23 PM »
cuz we're all crazy loonatic trekkies
thats putting it lightly...  fucking fruit loops, you bitches are :P

Offline Bat66wat6

• Running custom BC 1.1
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 09:40:48 PM »

Amen to that Jimmy
Jimmy, it's like it's your job to make everyone feel valued  :lostit: What have I done for the community except hastle Sovereign and Defiant with my newbie scripting questions about the Bridge Commander API? I've made like 5 or 6 threads the whole time i've been here and they've all amounted to little more than hastling Sovereign, Defiant and anyone else who scripts for this game. Seriously, without an air of modesty or naivety, I can say i've been a taker not a giver.

Sure i'll stick around long enough to convince myself, hopefully some time soon, that the Secondary shield generators script i've been building for what seems like eternity is good enough to drop for testing and download. Although, I seriously doubt anyone would notice if it were released because the mod idea has been done and distributed in KM. Meh, at least even if few people find it of use i'll still have it for my Scimitar  :D

Bones: Your avatar always makes me grin. Everyones got a picture of a ship or star trek character then you've got Ba-na-na  :funny

not only that, but those of us who have been on this scene for so long, we've built kinda like a "family"...  we all have, even newcomers...  this is our silly crazy family we have lol :)
and we are always here for each other and prolly the most tightest community of any (trek) forum...
weve all grown old together and we all have alot of awesome memories back to BCU when BC modding days was in its prime...  how i wish the current people here could have been there in those days (well some of them were actually lol) - it was barely possible just to keep up with posts from BCU in those days, the modding section and the general section (including the Spam Forum lol)
i cant let it go, i wont...  this will go on as long as possible...
at least until Excalbur is out, and then well all migrate there lol  us all, and many other people from other trek gaming communites - we'll all congeal and it will be a whole new community and a whole new thing!
and lemme tell ya - i know fully THAT scene will be more popular and explosive and THAT modding scene will be ten thousand times more active and awesome than BC ever was in its prime...  
i cant wait!!!    :dance :yay: :thumbsup:
You all speak of BCU as though it was some great paradise. "Way back in 1866 this gold town was booming with trade". You crazy guys, you're drunk on Star Trek

Best NET family I had so far :)  and cuz we're all crazy loonatic trekkies it's so much fun :D
Your friend Leonidas should know a thing or two about madness. Normal is but what others are and you aren't. Populate the world with crazy people and the normal ones would be the odd ones  :D

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
Excalibur's forums aren't as community friendly as BCC.  My personal hope is that we can just rebrand this as EC - Excalibur Central.  That way I can retain my post count. :P

Offline Bat66wat6

• Running custom BC 1.1
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 11:07:31 PM »
Excalibur's forums aren't as community friendly as BCC.  My personal hope is that we can just rebrand this as EC - Excalibur Central.  That way I can retain my post count. :P
Funny. I still have no idea what this "Excalibur" is. At first it just seemed like a ship or ship pack but now i'm thinking it's either some kind of super mod for BC or a totally new game altogether. Am I right?

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 11:12:16 PM »
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Bat66wat6

• Running custom BC 1.1
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 11:37:34 PM »
http://www.stexcalibur.com/ ;)
Fascinating. A bunch of guys got fed up with Bridge Commanders unstable outdated engine and thought "F this, we're all dedicated Trek fans and good at development so lets *make our own game*!" Ha ha. That's the kind of crazy shit only hardcore Trekkies could pull off  :funny

Fans of a game becoming developers of an entirely new game that's going to be released for... free. I don't believe it, it's a trick! Deception and lies! Whoever heard of such a thing? Surely it's not possible. If all projects to merely make a campaign for this game were doomed to failure surely a monster project such as "Excalibur" is even more futile?

:idk:

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 12:33:56 AM »
Obviously you haven't seen the in-engine footage yet.

Offline Bat66wat6

• Running custom BC 1.1
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 12:46:01 AM »
Obviously you haven't seen the in-engine footage yet.

Seen a video or two and it's mighty impressive for a bunch of guys that aren't getting paid in any way shape or form to make this.
Must have some real pros working on that. If they manage to get that out and it's a fully functioning game just as good or better than what organised companies with organised teams of professionals such as Totally Games and Bridge Commander have managed I will be just.... lost.

Now after looking at their site and the number of people involved and what their goals are i'm even more impressed bc-central is still alive and the greats like Sovereign/Defiant etc still have a presence here  :eek

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 12:57:18 AM »
Believe me my friend...it's gonna happen!!!!  Maybe within a couple of years but it's gonna happen!!!
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric