Author Topic: DS9FX Extended Ship Replacements  (Read 1988 times)

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
DS9FX Extended Ship Replacements
« on: July 30, 2012, 05:15:52 PM »
as has just been announced, DS9E carries on... 
Mario and i have come to the conclusion that alot of the ships (mostly Federation) are a bit out if date by todays standards and as such we plan on switching out most of them...

we would like feedback - which current DS9E ships should be replaced by newer and better-looking ones? 

this thread is for discussion, and all ideas will be taken into consideration... 

thank you all in advance for any input, and links to suggestions would really be helpful :)

list of changes thus far:
Changes:
  • corrected Galaxy Charts war simulator and DS9FX conflicts (aka hotfix #1)
  • added septimus system and related things such as music, descriptions
  • added mission 1 of the new campaign
  • added mission 2 of the new campaign
  • small updates and fixes
  • added mission 3 of the new campaign
  • added nero's kira set background change
  • added starbase375 system
  • added donatu system
  • added pelosa system
  • general fixes and cleanups
  • code cleanups
  • added mission 4 of the new campaign

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
Re: DS9FX Extended Ship Replacements
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 05:32:21 PM »
Excelsior and Centaur should be Wiley's I think.

The Galaxy should be DJ's.

Replace DS9 with Baz's

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 05:37:52 PM »
I'm happy for DS9 to be used as well as my Excelsior (normal and refit).
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 06:23:08 PM »
there are battles with a number of ships so hopefully alot of newer models wont cause too much a lag on some peoples systems lol  i think thats why we had the ships we did then, but most people have since upgraded their pcs to be able to run a bit more than was possible then...
i suppose i could include a "Medium" folder for ships, and im assuming that shrinking down the textures by half should do the trick and hopefully wont impact too much on how the ship would look ingame...
cross that bridge later...

anyway, i just want to update as much as i can as far as ships :)

Offline Bat66wat6

• Cookies: 34
  • Running custom BC 1.1
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 07:06:06 PM »
Whatever the choice of ships just please pay attention to detail when it comes to balancing. A huge problem with this game is that everyone creates things the way they see fit and balance their creations against arbitrary markers they come up with from their own BC installs.

My brother has been attempting to create a ship replacement pack that replaces all stock 1.1 ships with their latest fan-made counterparts. Only problem is the balancing is completely whack. The Sovereign is a prime example as it can fly in circles around a bird of prey at top speed and pretty much insta-kill anything you throw at it.

I'm sure with the attention to detail you guys have it'll all be fine but just sayin'. If it's all meant to be balanced for KM balance it for KM etc. Not much is worse than ships with brilliant models and textures but some half-assed hardpointing. It's never ceased to amaze me. All that work into awesome models and textures and then to drop the ball when it came to basic hardpointing :picardfacepalm:  :argh:
Great men are not peacemakers! Great men are conquerors!

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 07:28:19 PM »
the ship balancing will be pretty much the same as it all is for DS9E ships now as how they are currenttl...
whether or not that means they are balanced to KM ships or stock ships, i have no idea really...  but all the ships in DS9E are balanced to each other in that mod as best as we could...

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 07:45:48 PM »
Not much is worse than ships with brilliant models and textures but some half-assed hardpointing. It's never ceased to amaze me. All that work into awesome models and textures and then to drop the ball when it came to basic hardpointing :picardfacepalm:  :argh:

HEY! im excused from this one.... EVERYONE knows i cant hardpoint for shite  :P
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
anyway, so im thinking Wileys Centaur and Excelsiors (Valley Forge and Lakota) are in... also wiley's akira is also in... 
baz's ds9 is in as well...
i also want to be sure the right ships are chosen (as far as registries) from that era, which ill need help from the community for that...

Galaxy Class is still in debate-mode as far as which model...  what do you guys think?  i really like both DJs and Wileys but im just not sure which to choose...  im also fond of baz's but i just cant decide...  it should be MVAM and perhaps the Venture-varient?  what do you guys think?

also, for the other ships?

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 10:24:59 PM »
i really like both DJs and Wileys but im just not sure which to choose...  im also fond of baz's but i just cant decide...  it should be MVAM and perhaps the Venture-varient?  what do you guys think?
If you were to use my ship, I'll have to add the Venture nacelle phasers, and do some slight remapping for additional registries. It's doable.
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 03:57:38 PM »
ok so we'll go with Wileys ships for the Akira, Centaur, Excelsior, Lakota, Galaxy (Venture variant), baz's ds9, and i think thats where we stand for now...

need more suggestions for other ships?  any other non-fed ones?  i know there arent too many out there that are "recent"...

Offline newhalo123

• Gamer, Trekkie, Metalhead.
  • Cookies: 211
  • Gamer, Trekkie, Metalhead.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 04:24:53 PM »
What About Lint's Defiant? IT is the best out there imo.
"Live long, and prosper." -Leonard Nimoy 'Spock' (1931-2015)

"Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking nerf herder! " -Carrie Fisher 'Leia' (1956-2016)

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »
What About Lint's Defiant? IT is the best out there imo.

It's also grossly "over-polygoned". Yes, I know that's not a real word. The model certainly looks great, but then, given it's relatively high polycount, I pretty much expect that. Certainly there's gotta be a better alternative, to balance having a good looking ship + with large battles/amounts of ships?
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 04:41:23 PM »
While I would love Wiley to make the Venture variant and do other registries for his Galaxy why not use DJ's since there are already the varients and registries done

EDIT - Wiley, what about using your Miranda class?

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »
yeah lint's defiant is just too high poly for this mod...  LC's is decent and i think there are at least one or two out there as well?  i cant recall offhand...

While I would love Wiley to make the Venture variant and do other registries for his Galaxy why not use DJ's since there are already the varients and registries done
i would go with DJs Galaxy, but it seems we are already using alot of Wileys ships so why not stick to that trend? lol
besides, Wiley is gonna do up a Venture variant, which is what we'll go with to replace the current Galaxy Class...

EDIT - Wiley, what about using your Miranda class?
wiley did a miranda class?  where is that?  how on earth did i miss that?  we need do a miranda replacement...

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 05:20:58 PM »
yeah but I was thinking that but variety is the spice of life. And we are using Wiley's work for all the other ships.

The Miranda was part of his TWOK pack he made ages ago. It is the best Miranda model we have ever had for BC

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 05:26:17 PM »
I think we should stick with Wiley since we're going to use most of his stuff.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline DMWalsh79

• Cookies: 8
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 08:55:08 PM »
I think Bazs' K'Tinga would be a could candidate for replacing the one that's in DS9E.  Same thing with his BoP when it comes out.
"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, And say my glory was I had such friends" W.B. Yeats

"When one is dealing with monsters, He must take care not to become one himself" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Adonis

• Ze Meister xP
  • Cookies: 84
  • Da Death Squad ???
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 09:45:18 PM »
Jimmy, feel free to use my Oberths as well, after all, it has all the canon ships in their correct setups ;)
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline zgok

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 03:39:54 AM »
I'd recommend TU's Warbird as a replacement for the current one.

Offline Nx-809

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 07:52:57 AM »
Cardassian Galor by serverandenforcer ?? (when finish)
Intrepid class by JB06  ??  (remember " Inter Arma enim silent leges" bellerophont intrepid class)