Author Topic: Support MERP Petition for Modder rights  (Read 639 times)

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
Support MERP Petition for Modder rights
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:35:34 PM »
The Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (MERP) is an independent mod project to convert the world of Skyrim into a recreation of the world of JRR Tolkien's Middle Earth.  Recently, the creators of the project received a cease-and-desist from Warner Brothers.  They are working non-profit as most of us modders do, and they've done incredible work.

To combat this unfair treatment from WB, a petition has been started in protest.

You can sign here, as I have:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/save-merp-from-corporate-greed.html

Here's more info about the project itself:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/merp-middle-earth-roleplaying-project

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
Re: Support MERP Petition for Modder rights
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:08:25 PM »
Hate to say this, but just because it's non-profit doesn't mean it's exempt from Cease-and-Desist orders.  For example, a fanfilm entitled The Hero of Time(obviously based on The Legend of Zelda) was going to be distributed freely and the creators were not going to make any money from it at all.  However, Nintendo sent them a C&D, though allowed a short distribution of the movie.

Granted, not many were sad about this because said fanfilm was a terrible, terrible, miserable piece of crap, but still.  If a company sees something and decides to issue a cease-and-desist, there really isn't much that can be done.

However, they could try fighting this on grounds that they aren't infringing on Warner Brothers rights since they do not OWN Tolkien's works.  Warner Bros is merely allowed to use them.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 10:03:29 PM »
I never said it was illegal or miscarriage of justice, I said it was wrong.  As have civil rights groups who have voiced their opinions about various issues since the public forum was invented.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:22:55 PM »
While I agree that it's wrong, I don't know if much can be done.  Though I don't think Warner Bros. has the exclusive rights to Middle Earth and this modding team should be allowed to continue with their work.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 09:09:23 PM »
It's a stand on principle, not practicality.  Even if WB ignores it completely, still we modders made a statement.  That's the way 90% of petitions go these days.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 09:26:43 PM »
Isn't that the truth.  The fans tried their hardest to save the rebooted ThunderCats, but it doesn't seem like WB or Cartoon Network cared.  Again though, I really think that this would fall to Tolkien's estate, not Warner Bros.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 09:53:40 PM »
Hasbro need to get it for the HUB. XD
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.